What is a "Foodie?"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Selkie

Executive Chef
Just recently I was called to account for my status as a "Foodie" for offering a suggestion using a less-than-authentic ingredient as a means of cutting the cost of a dish. Obviously a sin in someone's eyes.

I had never been called a "Foodie" before, and certainly never referred to myself as one, so that experience started me thinking about the definition of the term, "Foodie" and whether it applied to me.

While I enjoy using top-of-the-line tools and ingredients, I've never held back making a dish simply because I used a supermarket discounted house brand ingredient. Nor has the fact that I don't use an expensive knife set ever kept me from filleting a fish, or trimming a roast. I'll even admit to occasionally eating at restaurants that are considered "fast food take-out."

Do all of these offenses mean I would have to turn in my "Foodie Membership Card"... if I had one? Maybe I could repent my multitude of transgressions if I knew exactly what a "Foodie" was. Do you have any idea?

I am a foodie because I enjoy cooking, finding new ways to cook the same cuts of meat. I enjoy creating something that is tasty, and that my family wants me to cook again! On the other hand, my wife views cooking as a chore, something she has to do so the kids won't starve. I think it all depends on your viewpoint. If you view cooking simply as another chore you might not be a foodie. There is hope though, my wife now actually enjoys watching Chopped, and other shows on Food Network too.

Your Foodie membership card has already been retrieved from your possession via teleportation. If you look for it now you will see it is not there. Go look, I'll wait.

See.

Here is the first of many different definitions you will see.

A foodie is someone to whom food is an interest beyond just eating three meals a day. A foodie enjoys learning about food, reading cookbooks and recipes, planning, selecting, preparing and serving food to others.

Food is a foodie's hobby.

I believe that a foodie is a person who enjoys food, preparation of food, eating food, tastes and smells surrounding food, experimentation with food, recipes, discussing food, and all that surrounds culinary arts as a whole.
One cannot say that a person using economical ingredients (nice way of "cheap" hahahaha) is no longer a "foodie".
I will always look for ways to cut costs with my food, especially when there are major events in life that require a tighter budget. You never have to compromise being a "foodie" just because you cannot afford the premium ingredients.

When you're at a point in your life where you can't really go a day without talking about food, and you frequently think of new ways to cook old favourites, and share recipes with friends and new people... THIS makes you a foodie. When you enjoy walking through a grocery store or farmer's market... THIS makes you a foodie. There is no status in the foodie world, and people who think otherwise are either kidding themselves, way too snobby, or trying to justify their own spending habbits :ROFLMAO:

One cannot say that a person using economical ingredients (nice way of "cheap" hahahaha) is no longer a "foodie".
I will always look for ways to cut costs with my food, especially when there are major events in life that require a tighter budget. You never have to compromise being a "foodie" just because you cannot afford the premium ingredients.

Personally I think that the ability to deviate from a recipe to save money, or a trip to the store is a great skill to have.

Well, since I was the one that made the comment, perhaps I can explain.

Here is the thread the OP is referring to.

My definition of a foodie is someone who is interested in knowledge of all things food, not just the day-to-day cooking every meal, and who has a love for food, not just eating it, but experiencing it. I also agree with above definitions.

That's why in the other thread I said that Velveeta Mexican Cheese Dip with Rotel is not fondue, it's a chip dip. And fondue is a whole other ball of wax (or cheese, as it were) that is actually an experience and not just another thing on the table at the football party. I didn't call you to account, nor did I say you weren't a foodie, I said I couldn't imagine a foodie equating Velveeta and Fondue (assuming they've experienced both).

I probably have lost my foodie card with the sandwich I just ate. Fried, smoked flavored spam, two slices of provolone holding the fried egg on jewish rye, with mayo. I prefer swiss, but I'm not picky...

You have Cooking Foodies, Eating Foodies, Haute Coutre Foodies and Learning Foodies, with any combination of the above.
I think anyone who appreciates food is a Foodie. Some love to try new foods, but don't want to cook anything.
Others get enjoyment out of cooking, be it a hot dog and egg sandwich or a Beef Wellington.
Some take joy from creating masterpieces and think anything less is unworthy.
Others don't cook a lot, and might not eat escargot, but love to read about and learn about cooking.....
I am an Eating Cooking Foodie.

I probably have lost my foodie card with the sandwich I just ate. Fried, smoked flavored spam, two slices of provolone holding the fried egg on jewish rye, with mayo. I prefer swiss, but I'm not picky...

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

At least it wasn't a Kraft "Cheese" Slice.

Speaking of plastic food, I miss enjoying Cheese Whiz.

I was told I was "foppish" for mentioning the merlot in my chili recipe last night. Foppish or not, you could smell it and it tasted heavenly as I took two cold bites before going to bed...
I am probably an eating,cooking,haute,learning,try it,don't like it,enjoy it foodie......

Last edited:
to me it sounds like something a small child would say.

"mommie i is hungie , can i have some foodies ?" :rolleyes:

hurry up and eat before your dinnie gets cold

are cooks cookies ?
chiefs ... chiefies ?

nonsense :angel:

Back
Top Bottom