"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 04-29-2006, 08:56 PM   #1
Cook

What is broiling?

Hi, I have got some recipes that require broiling. What is broiling, and how do I broil in an oven?

Is it an alternate to deep frying? I feel so awkward asking these silly questions but I have been avoiding recipes that needs broiling for so long, but now I feel I should ask and be a fool for 5 minutes than for a lifetime.

Old 04-29-2006, 09:07 PM   #2
Senior Cook

Here is a link to FoodNetwork which explains broiling vs grilling which should answer your question:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/ck_c...702280,00.html

Here is a link to HowStuffWorks which also explains broiling:

http://home.howstuffworks.com/question228.htm

Old 04-30-2006, 07:18 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Sunflower, the only silly question is the one you dont ask Feel free to ask questions on here. We all learn from each other. Not sure what type of oven you have, but with mine I can broil or bake. When I broil things, I use a broiling pan which allows grease to drip off, making for a healthier meal. It's similar to using an outdoor grill because it cooks your food at a high temperature. Deep fat frying contains the fat, whereas broiling allows the fat to drip off. Hope that answered your question.
Old 04-30-2006, 08:52 PM   #4
Cook

Thanks, Amber. I have to dig out our oven's instruction manual and see what it says. So broiling makes the food crispy without the extra fat of deep frying?
"One of the great secrets of life - Never Regret. If it's good, it's wonderful. If it's bad, it's experience. That is well worth having. It warns you not to do it again." -- Uncle Toby in The Black Opal
Sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 09:03 PM   #5
Executive Chef

On your oven you should have a switch that says bake, off and broil. There is an element on the bottom of your oven for baking and an element up top for broiling. It basically cooks the top of your food, say a casserole with a crispy topping, for instance.
Old 04-30-2006, 11:33 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

As Aurora's links explain, broiling and grilling are basically the same except for where the flame is. With grilling, the flame is below the food. With broiling, the flame is above the food.

With both these methods, you get high direct heat that crisps, browns and cooks. With roasting, a different (usually) heat source provides more indirect heat to cook foods at a lower temperature.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:43 AM   #7
Sous Chef

Thank God this was posted! (I'm clueless on this subject as well!)
Old 05-01-2006, 05:44 PM   #8
Master Chef

To go a step further, broiling is a method of cooking whereby the heat source is above the food. Heat is transfered to the food solely by infra-red radiation rather than by convection or conduction. TEmperature control is obtained by controlling the temperature of the heat source, and by moving the food closer or further away from the heat source.

Broiling is usually done on a pan which is designed to allow grease to fall away and into a contained space. This elliminates popping grease and ignition of that grease into flame. Broiling is used where a dry, high heat is required to sear and caramelize the food surface by the time the center is heated sufficiently.

Grilling is a technique where the heat source is located under the food. It is essentially the same as broiling, but produces the famous "Grilled" flavor as the hot crease drips onto the heat source (charcoal, ceramic bricks, or metallic baffles) and produces smoke which deposits itself onto the food. Again, the heat is transfered to the food by intense infra-red radiation. Because grilling produces substantial amounts of smoke, most stoves and ovens don't have grills built into them. You would seriously smoke up you house. Of course there are models like the Jen-Air stoves with down draft ventillation systems that will draw sufficient air into them to elliminate the smoke from your home. And those large, flat heating surfaces called grills in restaurant kitchens are really just giant skillets without sides. They cook by conduction.

And that, my freind, is the difference between grillilng and broiling. Oh, and hte heat source can be electrick coils, or a gas flame for either. But I don't think you will find a charcoal boiler. You'd end up with such a mess of ashes.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 08:34 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflower
Thanks, Amber. I have to dig out our oven's instruction manual and see what it says. So broiling makes the food crispy without the extra fat of deep frying?
Exactly
Old 05-01-2006, 11:06 PM   #10
Cook

Wow!! Thanks guys... and Corazon90, there IS a setting in my oven that says Broil (Hi and Lo) and I looked inside the oven and there's a coil on the top !! Never noticed those before .

Anyway, I am going to search some broiling recipes and try them out.

"One of the great secrets of life - Never Regret. If it's good, it's wonderful. If it's bad, it's experience. That is well worth having. It warns you not to do it again." -- Uncle Toby in The Black Opal
Sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote