"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 08-29-2007, 02:17 PM   #31
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Oh, and technically, you can not make Coq Au Vin with the chicken that is most often sold in markets today. Those are hens which would make the dish Poule Au Vin.

Old 08-29-2007, 02:25 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I've been trying to post this now for about 30 minutes but keep losing connection. Here's my thoughts. Remember folks, this is a WEIGHT WATCHER'S recipe!!!!

I'm going to stick my little fat neck out and say I think it is made this way because #1, the chicken is probably skinless and is not browned first. Those browned bits impart a lot of flavor. So........the browning sauce is replacing that layer of flavor. It's used strictly for that bit of flavor (ever how slight it may be) that is lacking from the browned bits left in the pan.

While coq au vin needs the wine if this is a Weight Watchers (hahah, two words) version it very well may be "loosely" called coq au vin for the sake of giving it a name people recognize and can still enjoy.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 11:05 AM   #33
Assistant Cook

There's a browning sauce made for cooking in the microwave, but it can't be that. I'm thinking it may be demiglace -- which you can buy from Williams Sonoma if you don't want to make it yourself. It's basically stock (in this case, chicken stock), cooked down to a rich dark thickness, virtually a paste. I can imagine that being added to coq au vin.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:08 AM   #34
Assistant Cook

accidents will happen

Quote:
But there IS blood in Blood Pudding!
Especially if I'm making it.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:37 PM   #35
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Quote:
Originally Posted by keltin View Post
So, thinking out-loud, I mused that perhaps since this was a WW recipe, they eliminated the wine? True, that means it can not technically be Coq Au Vin (literally “rooster with wine”), but that doesn’t stop someone out there from taking the name of a recipe and applying it to something that does not deserve it. Look at the recipes for “Crab Salad” that use imitation crab......that’s not crab salad, that’s fish salad.

Or a vegetarian hamburger....no, that’s (loosely) a vegetable burger, but strictly where “burger” means beef, you would have to call the vegetarian version a vegetable patty. Or what about the “indoor grill” that are pans with ridges. That’s not grilling, that’s pan searing/frying/sautéing, but not grilling at all. So, that’s what I think happened here....someone at WW took the well known name of Coq Au Vin and applied it to a dish of chicken cooked in some kind of pale liquid.....which technically makes it a Coq Au Bouillon of sorts and not Coq Au Vin.

And why do they call it a hamburger......there is no ham in it. And let’s not get started on hot dogs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
And there's no Coke in coq au vin
Quote:
Originally Posted by keltin View Post
But there IS blood in Blood Pudding!
Have you ever had an egg cream? Well, guess what? There ain't no egg in it! Guess what else? THERE AIN'T NO CREAM IN IT, EITHER!!
Old 09-27-2007, 07:15 PM   #36
Master Chef

This has been most enlightening! I had never heard of a "browning and seasoning sauce" by that term - but I have heard of Kitchen Bouquet most of my life, and Gravy Master for several years - although I have never used either. But, after digging around WW's website - these appear to be what they are talking about (WW doesn't give a clue about it but I found references to both in their user blogs).