What is brown seasoning sauce?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lisagail5

Assistant Cook
:rolleyes:

Hi
I am a member of Weight Watchers. In one of their cookbooks there is an ingredient called brown seasoning sauce. What is brown seasoning sauce?

Thanks for the help.
Sunny

Brown seasoning sauce? If it goes on mashed potatoes, I call that gravy! :LOL::ROFLMAO:

Ok, seriously, I’d go with what Katie and Kitchenelf said. They know their stuff.

What is the recipe for?

My parents purchased Weigh****cher's cookbook called "New Complete Cookbook". There's no brown seasoning sauce anywhere in there. However, saying that is meaningless as there are probably many. In the basics, or sauces section, the book has nothing like that. Is there an introduction to the cookbook that you have since it may describe the recipe to that sauce? If not, I'm going with what Keltin said.

My parents purchased Weigh****cher's cookbook called "New Complete Cookbook". There's no brown seasoning sauce anywhere in there. However, saying that is meaningless as there are probably many. In the basics, or sauces section, the book has nothing like that. Is there an introduction to the cookbook that you have since it may describe the recipe to that sauce? If not, I'm going with what Keltin said.

The problem I would have with your logic is that the sauces keltin mentioned are loaded with sodium, which is something all of us should avoid. Just my gut reaction and personal opinion. However, Kitchen Bouquet could just as well have a heavy sodium content, too. I don't use it, so I don't know.

The problem I would have with your logic is that the sauces keltin mentioned are loaded with sodium, which is something all of us should avoid. Just my gut reaction and personal opinion. However, Kitchen Bouquet could just as well have a heavy sodium content, too. I don't use it, so I don't know.

But I like sodium!!!! :LOL:

Actually, I wasn’t suggesting that they use Soy, Teriyaki, or Worcestershire sauce, I was just pointing out that “brown seasoning sauce” covers a LOT of ground, so posting the recipe would really help. I’ve never used Kitchen Bouquet either, and was going to ask you what it was for! From what I’ve garnered from the net, it’s basically food coloring with a bit of flavor. It’s used to give gravies, stews, sauces, and meats a dark color. It’s basically a “browning” sauce.

It’s got 10 mg of sodium per teaspoon which is way less than Soy and the others.

They are most definitely referring to Kitchen Bouquet or Gravy Master.

Both are basically coloring agents with salt and maybe a few other seasonins added. They are not "food coloring," as we know it, but use natural carmel agents.

Their main purpose is to act as an artificial "browning" agent for food.

They are most definitely referring to Kitchen Bouquet or Gravy Master.

Both are basically coloring agents with salt and maybe a few other seasonins added. They are not "food coloring," as we know it, but use natural carmel agents.

Their main purpose is to act as an artificial "browning" agent for food.

No, not food coloring per se, that was just a loose way of saying it. For example, if you make a gravy and it is a bit gray, you can add Kitchen Bouquet to color it. Gravy is food......Kitchen Bouquet gives it color.

It has 15 calories per teaspoon which come from 3 grams of carbohydrates, 2 of those grams being sugars. It also has 10mg of sodium per teaspoon. The ingredients are:

Caramel, Vegetable Base (Water, Carrots, Onions, Celery, Parsnips, Turnips, Salt, Parsley, Spices), Sodium benzoate and Sulfiting agents

Last edited:
Thanks I think the recipe is Cho Quin Van. Please excuse the spelling.
What is Kitchen Bouquet? I have never heard of it. I think it is gravy. Weight Watchers says they cannot endorse products names. This is why they are so vague with the names. It drives me crazy.

Sunny

What is Kitchen Bouquet? I have never heard of it. I think it is gravy. Weight Watchers says they cannot endorse products names. This is why they are so vague with the names. It drives me crazy.

Sunny

It's not gravy. See posts above which explain what it is. Also see Keltin's post -- he's right, if you are trying to make Coq Au Vin (chicken cooked in wine) it's not necessary.

Maggi, made by Nestles, orginally from Switzerland, I think, is a great brown seasoning. My ex, who was German, and I raised our kids on it. Brown bread, a little butter and sprinkled with Maggi.
We used it on salads, in gravy, on meat, etc., etc. I used to tell people we used it in everything except ice cream and coffee.
I buy mine from a oriental food store in Tulsa - go figure.

Sunny

That sounds Asian to me. I don't have the cookbook, so I can't confirm it.

I go to an Asian market about once a month. On the same shelves as the Soy, there is a "Seasoning Sauce" that is brown in color. I've always assumed this is basically Soy sauce, maybe with a few added ingredients. I've even got a bottle of Golden Mountain Seasoning Sauce, which I use interchangably with Soy, although the flavor is a bit different.

If you don't have an Asian market nearby, try to get some Maggi Seasoning Sauce at your local grocery store. It ought to be near where the gravy mixes and other bottled sauces/condiments are, or in the International Aisle.

Hi
It is browning and seasoning sauce. The receipe is Coq au Vin. You combine flour, water, and browning and seasoning sauce in a small bowl until smooth; stir in 1/4 cup of hot liquid from dutch oven until blended. You add this mixture to the pot.

I think browning and seasoning sauce is gravy. What do you think?

I really appreciate the help.

The browning and seasoning sauce is not gravy. It is a flavoring for gravy. You mix flour and the brown stuff to make a slurry for the gravy where you wouold normally use flour and water. Then you mix it into the liquid from the pot and THAT is the gravy.

The Kitchen Bouquet or Gravy Master is made specifically to add flavor to gravy. It is not gravy by itself. It's sold in a very small bottle and you use only a small amount to enhance the flavor of a gravy.

Back
Top Bottom