What is Castor Sugar used for?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cmarchibald

Senior Cook
I ended up with a box of castor sugar when I sent someone to the store for powdered sugar awhile back and they bought this by mistake. So now that I have it....what's it used for?

It is used a lot in baking in baking,especially in no cook frostings,,, It is also refereed to as superfine sugar...

I usually use powdered sugar when making frosting. Does the castor produce a different consistency? How does it affect the consistency of baked goods (or does it)?

I usually use powdered sugar when making frosting. Does the castor produce a different consistency? How does it affect the consistency of baked goods (or does it)?

I'm curious too.
The corn starch in powdered sugar is what helps thicken things like glazes and such..so i'm really curious about consistency.
obviously it's fine enough to where you shouldnt get a graininess from it.

In some baked products superfine sugar produces a lighter, finer crumb because the small grains dissolve much more easily than regular sugar... We use it a lot at the bakery, especially for meringues and light and airy cakes, such as angelfood... And we use it almost all the time for certain buttercreams as it keeps them from having that grittiness to them... :):):)

In some baked products superfine sugar produces a lighter, finer crumb because the small grains dissolve much more easily than regular sugar... We use it a lot at the bakery, especially for meringues and light and airy cakes, such as angelfood... And we use it almost all the time for certain buttercreams as it keeps them from having that grittiness to them... :):):)

makes a lot of sense to me.
might have to give a go the next time I make meringue

I'm curious too.
The corn starch in powdered sugar is what helps thicken things like glazes and such..so i'm really curious about consistency.
obviously it's fine enough to where you shouldnt get a graininess from it.
Right, when I need my decorator's icing to be extra stiff I add extra corn starch. Works like a charm.

I opened the box and castor is much heavier than powdered sugar but much lighter than regular granulated sugar, I just wondered if it has a specific use. I can see it being used as dusting, that would make sense....seems easier to control than powdered is for that regard.

Oooohhh....I *love* angel food cake and haven't had any in ages. You can't buy it here. I'll definitely try that. Do you have a good recipe? If not I'll need to look one up and that's always a crap shoot. :LOL:

Thanks Mimi!

makes a lot of sense to me.
might have to give a go the next time I make meringue

Josh if you can't find superfine sugar just put regular old sugar in a grinder and whirl away until it is a finer consistency... That's really all it is...

Oooohhh....I *love* angel food cake and haven't had any in ages. You can't buy it here. I'll definitely try that. Do you have a good recipe? If not I'll need to look one up and that's always a crap shoot. :LOL:

Thanks Mimi!

I do at the bakery but it's not for a single cake so it would have to be broken down, might be quicker for you to google a recipe, or perhaps someone has a TNT recipe here...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom