What kind of oil do they use at Benihana?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

akimartymar

Assistant Cook
I am curious as to what kind of oil they use at Japanese hibachi grills such as Benihana where they light it on fire and dip their hands in it and then transfer the burning oil to your hand. I need an oil that will flame easily but won't be so hot I can't touch it. Thanks.

Last edited:
Welcome To DC!

I'd be willing to bet that all oils burn at pretty much the same temperature. I've never seen that trick. It must be impressive!

akimartymar said:
I need an oil that will flame easily but won't be so hot I can't touch it. Thanks.
Any flame will be hot enough that you can not touch it, unless you really know what you are doing. The temp of the flame will always be hot enough to seriously burn you though.

could it be alcohol? Alcohol will burn without getting hot. I once covered my hand in rubbing alcohol and ignited it with no heat whatsoever.

perhaps mixing alcohol with the oil...

Lets not get confused here for safty sake. If there is a flame then it is hot. Just because you can dunk your hands in alcohol and light them on fire without feeling the heat does not mean that you won't feel the heat after time or if you do it wrong. It is a very dangerous practice and should only be done if you know what you are doing.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom