What to replace Cilantro with?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Coriander and cilantro do taste different, but with some similarities. They both can taste almost soapy if too much is used in cooking. But Cilantro also has the bite of clorophil in it, similar in nature to parsley. But again, it's not lacks some of the bitter componants of parsley.

Recently, I ate ata restaurant that served tortilla chips with there own brand of salsa. For a few minutes, I couldn't tell what was different about their salsa and that which is more familiar to me. After a bit though, I realized that the cilantro had been replaced by parsley. It tasted very good, but different.

Just because a sauce may be different than what you are used to, that doesn't mean that it isn't good. I say try replacing the cilantro with parsley, or the leafy part of celery, chopped of course. You may find that it is more popular. Or, you could make both kinds and let your guests decide which one they like better.

Leafy herbs generally rely on aromatic oils, or water to distribute their unique flavors in a recipe. Placing fresh cilantro in a container to be used at the table, in my opinion, is a bad idea as it takes time for the flavor to enter the sauce. Of course the chewing action would quickly spread the herbal flavor accross the pallate. But that may be too strong for many. How much of a pinch do you add at the plate? It's easier by far to make multiple salsas, in small batches, and flavor them to your satisfaction. And in this manner, you can also make a large basic batch, and divide it into several uniquely flavored salsas at the table, some hot, some with cilantro, some with parsley, etc.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Goodweed of the North said:
Just because a sauce may be different than what you are used to, that doesn't mean that it isn't good.
I don't think anyone is denying that, but the OP was asking for a replacement. To me that means something that can be used as a substitute as similar flavors. Sure you could use parsley in place of cilantro. You could also use jello in place of cilantro. It might be seriously horrible or it might be a huge surprise and work. I would not call it a replacement though. That is just me though and I know that others will feel differently which is fine.

A replacement, in this context, to me would be something like using honey instead of sugar or margarine instead of butter. Parsley and cilantro do not taste even remotely alike IMO. The only similarities are that they are both green leafy herbs. The similarities stop there.

Again this is just my opinion. It is right for me, but I understand it is not right for everyone.

Right on GB, right on!

Dictionary says that cilantro is coriander, as it's called in different parts of the world.

If you are feeding people who don't really like the flavor of cilantro then you are better to take it out all together. Me I love cilantro on almost anything. If you are looking for color I would replace it with parsley.

Gweed

I have never thought that coriander seed tasted soapy, but I have thought that occassionally about cilantro. But since they are from the same plant, they obviously must share some flavor similarities that I am not picking up.

GB; Point taken. I apaologize if I seemed argumentative. That wasn't my goal. I was just trying to point out alternatives and options. Of course you are right. Parsley and Cilantro are completely different flavors and can not be interchanged.

I guess what got me going was the sentence "I like small amounts of cilantro in some recipes - but not alot of people like it. What would be a good replacement for it." Reading between the lines a bit, I felt that Letscook was asking for alternatives to a salsa containing cilantro, to serve to his/her freinds who didn't care for the cilantro flavor. So I gave alternatives. Of course, reading between the lines somtimes gets me into trouble. But my intent was to be helpful, as was the intent of everyone who posted.

This is kind of strange. GB, we are almost always in agreement in our posts. Guess we had to misunderstand each other at some point in time. I hope this post clarifies what I was trying to do.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Oh GW no need to apologise!!! I did not think you were being argumentative. Perhaps it is I who should apologise if I made you think otherwise. I was just trying to say that I saw a small difference in what the OP was asking for and your example. All is good my friend :)

i agree with GW that cilantro and corriander taste different.

coriander and cilantro are both one and the same plant: coriandrum sativum. however, a case can also be made for calling the leaves cilantro, and the powdered seeds coriander. the leaves have to be used when they're young. by the time the plant goes to seed, the leaves become quite bitter. (at least mine always do).
parsley, italian parsley, cilantro, and cumin are members of the parsley family, and each one's taste is quite distinctive. so, as far as coming up with a similar taste goes, a simple subtitution won't do it. your two options would be either to 1) use regular parsley or italian parsley and enjoy the dish as it is, not expecting it to be the same or 2) think in terms of how wines are described and apply it to cilantro. i'm sitting here at the computer and don't have any cilantro at hand, so i'm going to go out on a limb here. i'd say italian parsley is closer to cilantro than regular parsley, so i'd start with that. then, in my mind's eye (mind's tongue???) i'm thinking that a little citric taste might make italian parsley a little closer in taste to cilantro. so, i might throw in a little lime zest or something. without doing a taste test, that's about as far as i'd venture now, but after that i might explore a pinch or two of some kind of spice; maybe anise or mace or allspice. with a little creative taste-testing, you could probably come close to a similar overall taste.
icon12.gif

Cilantro is otherwise known as Coriander right? That's what it is over here if I'm not mistaken!

My fiance gets quite ill when he has it, and I had a recipe for Coriander Chicken that I was dying to use, I replaced it with flat leafed parsley and it was amazing! Obviously not what the recipe was intended to taste like, but man, this is a new staple in our house!

There really is no substitution for cilantro. It would be like replacing lemon juice with ketchup. If people don't like it, you are better eliminating it (gasp!) altogether than trying to substitute it.

I don't like cilantro...at all. I grew some one summer, and just the smell of it was over-powering. I thought it tasted like soap. But that's just me.

So...I use basil, parsley, oregano, sweet marjoram, thyme...whatever. I'm glad it doesn't taste like cilantro.

I always replace leaf cilantro with leaf (curly) parsley. I find the flat leaf parsley somewhat bland.

Curly parsley has a flavour reasonably similar to cilantro and adds something to the dish in a similar way that stronger flavoured cilantro does.

GB said:
Wait am I missing something here? I thought corriander and cilantro were the same thing (the leaves that is).

Your right, Cilantro and corriander are the same thing.

I think the way the terms are used in my experience is the coriander is the seed and cilantro is the stem and leaf.
advoca said:
I always replace leaf cilantro with leaf (curly) parsley. I find the flat leaf parsley somewhat bland.
advoca,
Is that common where you are?

Coriander is one of my favourite herbs. No substitute!
Cilantro is the Spanish word for coriander.
We also have a wild version over here ( I've got some in the garden) called Culantro; the leaves are bigger and flatter, a bit like a dandelion leaf.

BTW, Aquarius - Coriander Chicken (where the coriander is used like a vegetable/spinach rather than a herb) is extraordinarily good.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom