"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 05-18-2006, 07:00 AM   #31
Senior Cook

coriander and cilantro are both one and the same plant: coriandrum sativum. however, a case can also be made for calling the leaves cilantro, and the powdered seeds coriander. the leaves have to be used when they're young. by the time the plant goes to seed, the leaves become quite bitter. (at least mine always do).
parsley, italian parsley, cilantro, and cumin are members of the parsley family, and each one's taste is quite distinctive. so, as far as coming up with a similar taste goes, a simple subtitution won't do it. your two options would be either to 1) use regular parsley or italian parsley and enjoy the dish as it is, not expecting it to be the same or 2) think in terms of how wines are described and apply it to cilantro. i'm sitting here at the computer and don't have any cilantro at hand, so i'm going to go out on a limb here. i'd say italian parsley is closer to cilantro than regular parsley, so i'd start with that. then, in my mind's eye (mind's tongue???) i'm thinking that a little citric taste might make italian parsley a little closer in taste to cilantro. so, i might throw in a little lime zest or something. without doing a taste test, that's about as far as i'd venture now, but after that i might explore a pinch or two of some kind of spice; maybe anise or mace or allspice. with a little creative taste-testing, you could probably come close to a similar overall taste.

Old 05-30-2006, 10:55 PM   #32
Assistant Cook

Cilantro is otherwise known as Coriander right? That's what it is over here if I'm not mistaken!

My fiance gets quite ill when he has it, and I had a recipe for Coriander Chicken that I was dying to use, I replaced it with flat leafed parsley and it was amazing! Obviously not what the recipe was intended to taste like, but man, this is a new staple in our house!

Old 07-13-2006, 08:42 PM   #33
Executive Chef

There really is no substitution for cilantro. It would be like replacing lemon juice with ketchup. If people don't like it, you are better eliminating it (gasp!) altogether than trying to substitute it.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:48 PM   #34
Master Chef

I don't like cilantro...at all. I grew some one summer, and just the smell of it was over-powering. I thought it tasted like soap. But that's just me.

So...I use basil, parsley, oregano, sweet marjoram, thyme...whatever. I'm glad it doesn't taste like cilantro.
Old 07-21-2006, 06:26 PM   #35
Senior Cook

I always replace leaf cilantro with leaf (curly) parsley. I find the flat leaf parsley somewhat bland.

Curly parsley has a flavour reasonably similar to cilantro and adds something to the dish in a similar way that stronger flavoured cilantro does.
Old 07-21-2006, 06:39 PM   #36
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
Wait am I missing something here? I thought corriander and cilantro were the same thing (the leaves that is).
They are. I'd
Old 07-21-2006, 06:40 PM   #37
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
Wait am I missing something here? I thought corriander and cilantro were the same thing (the leaves that is).
Your right, Cilantro and corriander are the same thing.
Old 07-21-2006, 06:54 PM   #38
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to FryBoy
Personally, I don't trust anyone who doesn't like cilantro (or onions or garlic, for that matter), and I'd set the dog on them.
Old 07-21-2006, 07:04 PM   #39
Head Chef

I think the way the terms are used in my experience is the coriander is the seed and cilantro is the stem and leaf.
Quote:
Originally Posted by advoca
I always replace leaf cilantro with leaf (curly) parsley. I find the flat leaf parsley somewhat bland.
advoca,
Is that common where you are?

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 09:44 PM   #40
Sous Chef

Coriander is one of my favourite herbs. No substitute!
Cilantro is the Spanish word for coriander.
We also have a wild version over here ( I've got some in the garden) called Culantro; the leaves are bigger and flatter, a bit like a dandelion leaf.

BTW, Aquarius - Coriander Chicken (where the coriander is used like a vegetable/spinach rather than a herb) is extraordinarily good.