What to replace Cilantro with?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
cliveb said:
We also have a wild version over here ( I've got some in the garden) called Culantro; the leaves are bigger and flatter, a bit like a dandelion leaf.
I've had one eye out for culantro for quite a while. I have a dumb question. How is is called in Spanish?

I totally adore coriander but when I first made its aquaintance years ago, I swear it smelt just like those green garden bugs when they accidently get crunched underfoot or somewhere else!! I always wondered if coriander would taste like those bugs smelt. It doesnt...although I havent tried the bugs myself!!

That's right, Michael!
Cilantro (Sp) = coriander (Eng.)
Culantro(Sp) = culantro (Eng.)

Since culantro is basically a wild herb, a bit like "epazote", for example, the name's the same in both languages.
Culantro has a somewhat more pronounced flavour than cilantro; perhaps the word "rough" might help to describe it.

Cilantro is rather one of those "love it or hate it" food items. In general, it leaves a "soapsuds" taste and feeling in my mouth. OTOH, there is a Cilantro crusted snapper they make at Sol Azteca in Boston that is the stuff dreams are made of!

My good friend Ruth Alegria, a noted Mexican chef in the Tri-state area, told me there are TWO kinds of cilantro on the US market. The cilantro with small leaves is the "soapsuds culprit." OTOH, if you make sure to get the large leaves cilantro, that never happens. So far, she seems to be right.

Even so, I use cilantro with a light hand.

Just my $.02 :chef:

cilantro

cook for your self or cook for other people, when you want cilantro..go there, when you are cooking for some one else , of course you cook what is generally acceptable..have cilantro on the side for gazpacho, for instance!!! You are not a slave or a servant.:rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom