"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 11-09-2008, 01:03 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Question What went wrong with my roux?

I made my first roux last night for a vegetarian surf and turf gumbo. I used 1/4 cup olive oil, and 1/4 cup flour. Heated it over med heat stirring constantly until nice and blond. The recipe called for vegetable stock to be added slowly, as soon as the stock hit the roux, the whole thing turned to a doughy mess, I was able to salvage it my heating and stirring (a lot), but I don't think I was supposed to get glue.

I did some reading and I think that the roux was too hot when I added the veggie broth, although the veggie broth was quite warm at the time.

Any ideas?

Thanking you in advance,

Wendy

Old 11-09-2008, 01:06 PM   #2
Master Chef

Sounds like you needed more broth. How much broth in total did you add to your roux? When you add the broth slowly... it will start out thick and gooey. But as you add more broth, it should thin out. When all broth is added, bring to a boil and you should have the full thickening power of your roux.

HTH!

Old 11-09-2008, 01:17 PM   #3
Master Chef

Yup, what sattie said. The more broth you add, the creamier it will get.
Old 11-09-2008, 01:22 PM   #4
Sous Chef

Ditto to above suggestions. Just what I was thinking as I read your post.
Old 11-09-2008, 01:25 PM   #5
Master Chef

Try adding the broth a little bit quicker.... that should help you avoid the gloppy mess!
Old 11-09-2008, 01:25 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

Well then, I guess my first attempt at roux wasn't a disaster after all! When my roux got all thick and gooey, I kinda panicked and added the rest of the broth, brought it to a boil and whisked the daylights out of it until all the gooey stuff was gone. The gumbo turned out very tasty, so all's well that tastes good.

Thank you so much for helping me out. I am just teaching myself to cook, and have had a few disasters (eg. the red beans and rice that tasted like dog food) but more successes than failures so far.

Wendy
Old 11-09-2008, 01:34 PM   #7
Master Chef

LOL.... sorry about the red beans and rice disaster... did ya have any dogs around???

It sounds like you were on track with the roux. I make my broccoli cheese soup using a roux and I get the same thing when I first add the broth to the roux. Just keep adding the broth and whisking and you are good to go!!!

Welcome to DC!!!
Old 11-09-2008, 01:50 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy92153 View Post
...When my roux got all thick and gooey, I kinda panicked and added the rest of the broth, brought it to a boil and whisked the daylights out of it until all the gooey stuff was gone...

This is what you should be doing. Once the roux is ready, you whisk in the broth to make the smooth, thick mixture. It takes a minute or two to get it all blended.
Old 11-09-2008, 03:21 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

Again, Thank you all so much for your timely response to my question. It is very comforting to know that I did nothing wrong with my roux. I have been very afraid of trying this for a long time, and I was very scared making it. I have a tendency to screw things up in the kitchen and I am desperately trying to change that.

I find that I really appreciate those that welcome the effort and ignore the outcome.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:08 AM   #10
Sous Chef

ohh i didnt see anyone touching on this but a roux is support to be fat and flour of equal weights. this also could have been a little bit a of a problem.

but i usually make my roux and I add the roux to the stock till i get it the way i want.

Tags
roux