What's considered vinaigrette?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

love2eat

Assistant Cook
I have have very tasty recipe, just can't seem to find a perfect name for it.

Simply 10 cloves of garlic soaked in a jar of vinegar for 2 weeks. I use this "liquid" for most of my cooking. It has very strong garlic flavor in vinegar. The acidity reduces after a few weeks. So I have to use them up before they become creamy looking.

I want to call it vinaigrette, but I don't know if this qualifies it. I know it's not "sauce" so what is it?

By definition, it should have oil and vinegar (or lemon juice) to be considered vinaigrette. According to Dictionary.com, it is a cold sauce or dressing made from vinegar or lemon juice and oil, and is often flavored with onions, herbs, or other seasonings.

I think I would just call what you have made Garlic Vinegar.

:) Barbara

This is actually a very dangerous practice. It is a recipe for botulism. You should not garlic stored that way for more than 10 days. i am sure Jennyema will jump in here and be able to provide some better info on this :cool:

But he is using vinegar, which would have a higher acidity than oil. Also, if you keep in the refrigerator, the temperature shouldn't get high enough to allow the growth of harmful little critters...

...or am I mistaken?

Back
Top Bottom