"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 02-18-2012, 07:10 PM   #21
Certified Pretend Chef

If you're cooking a filet at home and want to wrap it in bacon, you can partially cook the bacon so some of the fat is rendered while the bacon stays flexible. Then wrap the filet and continue.

I have also seen a wrapped filet cooked around the edge first (hold it vertically with tongs and turn it).

Old 02-18-2012, 07:29 PM   #22
Master Chef

Bacon around a filet mingon serves chiefly to flavor the meat with a bit of smoky goodness, and help in presentation. If I'm not incorrect, this preparation is called a tournedo, and comes from France. If the steak is broiled, or grilled, the bacon is more crispy. Pan frying doesn't allow the bacon to come in contact with the hot pan surface required to make it crispy. Though it is cooked through, it retains most of its water content.

I bet if you deep-fried that bacon wrapped fillet, you'd get some crispy bacon, and a pretty tasty steak to boot. When the tournedo is finished, it is sometimes served with steamed artichoke heart on top, and compound butter. That's where I got the idea for the other post I made on this subject.

As I think about it, tournedos are cut from a larger portion of the tenderloin than are the fillet mignons, which come from the tail end of the tenderloin. But like the fillet, they are usually wrapped in bacon, and cooked the same way. They are simply a larger version of the same thing.

Here is a link for other ideas concerning this cut of meat: Tournedo - Definition and Cooking Information - RecipeTips.com

Again, this cut is usually broiled, or grilled.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 12:51 AM   #23
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
With a proper restaurant style salamander, the bacon on a wrapped filet gets cooked nicely, but there just isn't a home appliance that can get to those temps, imo.

For me, if I have to do it indoors, I am with the second post in the thread, Cast Iron pan/griddle. Nom nom nom.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:58 AM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

there's a tv ad for a nearby steakhouse that is nothing but a 30 second video of a porterhouse in a salamander broiling away while a narrator talks about the restaurant. it looks so good with the flames licking the top of the steak and the fat renders and drips off the edge.

you can see just how hot the interior of that salamander must be by how well browned the steak gets on all exposed sides. if i ever had a choice of professional appliances that i could add to a home kitchen, it would be a salamander, even before a walk-in fridge, wok burner, or deep fryer.
waiting for someone or something to show you the way.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:03 AM   #25
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
there's a tv ad for a nearby steakhouse that is nothing but a 30 second video of a porterhouse in a salamander broiling away while a narrator talks about the restaurant. it looks so good with the flames licking the top of the steak and the fat renders and drips off the edge.

you can see just how hot the interior of that salamander must be by how well browned the steak gets on all exposed sides. if i ever had a choice of professional appliances that i could add to a home kitchen, it would be a salamander, even before a walk-in fridge, wok burner, or deep fryer.

Agreed.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:10 AM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
blow torch?
Old 02-19-2012, 02:12 AM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

lol, taxy, cooking a steak with a blow torch might take a while, unless you like black and blue/pittsburgh steak.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:15 AM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
lol, taxy, cooking a steak with a blow torch might take a while, unless you like black and blue/pittsburgh steak.
Well, you could finish the bacon with the blow torch. I have seen TV chefs use a blow torch and mention that they would have used a salamander if there had been one in the studio. I think Julia Child was one of those chefs. I've seen one used to finish crème brulée.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:20 AM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

a torch or a salamander for the brulee?

and lol, i thought you meant to cook a steak entirely with a torch.

i guess you could finish crisping the bacon with a torch while the tenderloin rests. good idea.

btw, if anyone has been to a chinese takeout and looked in the kitchen, the big broiler thing they use to finish off spareribs is a salamander.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:43 AM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
a torch or a salamander for the brulee?

I've seen crème brulée finished in a salamander and with a torch. The sugar could also be caramelized by flambéing with booze.

Tags
cook, steak