What's the best method to cook a steak indoors?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cvanhorn

Assistant Cook
Hello All,
I have always had a hard time figuring out the best way to cook a steak indoors. I am a college student living in an apartment complex with no access to a grill. I love steak but have shied away from buying/cooking one in a while because I have never really had the greatest results. So my question to you DC is what method you would recommend. My options include; stovetop, oven or a george forman. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated so I can get back to enjoying a nice cut of meat without spending 20-50 dollars at the local steakhouses.

Thanks!

The best method is on the stove top. The GF grill doesn't get hot enough to cook a good steak properly.

However, cooking steak on the stovetop over high heat will generate some smoke so you really need very good ventilation. A stove hood that recirculates air back into the kitchen won't cut it.

if you have a gas oven with a broiler, use that.

depending on the thickness of the steaks, you'll have to adjust the broiler tray to the topmost slt for thinner steaks, or the middle slot for thicker steaks. also, adjust cooking times accordingly. a 1 1/2 inch thick steak will take about 6 or 7 minutes per side for rare in the middle slot of a broiler. add another minute or so per side for medium rare. move to the top slot if you like it more charred on the surface.

be sure to wrap the broiler tray in aluminum foil for easy clean up.

btw, you can make kiler buffalo wings using a broiler in the same fashion, flipping the wings a few times util the brown o both sides. they sorta cook in their own fat so they come out a lot like fried wings, albeit a little healhier.

if no broiler, invest in a cast iron grill pan. you'll even get grill marks on your steak with one.

hth.

Last edited:
I like the gas oven broiler, too. I have a notion that I've never really researched that cooking a steak by conduction - in a pan or on a range top grill pan - traps steam between the steak and the pan and partly steams, rather than applying dry heat. The broiler is mostly radiant heat, so it's just heat+meat, and the moisture dissipates or drains away.

It's different from the goal of browning meat prior to braising and such. It's not on that hot surface for long. The steak will be in the pan for a while. Like I said, I haven't researched it, but I'm generally happier with the results from the broiler.

But the difference between range top and oven broiler probably isn't that great. What makes a real difference is that, for doing steaks at home, you need to buy them thick, like an inch or inch and a half thick. You can't properly do a thinner steak at home. You don't have the heat for it, and you'll have to leave it on the fire so long to get a nice crust that it will overcook inside. Restaurants can handle it, because they have massive burners and very hot ovens fed by 1-inch gas lines. At home, you need a thick steak in order to have it remain rare or medium rare while it browns.

Save the Foreman grill for common hamburgers and sausage patties and for vegetables, at which it excels.

I like the gas oven broiler, too. I have a notion that I've never really researched that cooking a steak by conduction - in a pan or on a range top grill pan - traps steam between the steak and the pan and partly steams, rather than applying dry heat.

I'm an amateur not an expert, and I haven't researched it either, but I have a notion that when you throw a steak on a cast iron pan or griddle that the steak develops a layer of browning that seals in juices and that there isn't much in the way of trapped steam to interfere with heat transfer via conduction. If there is any steam I doubt it plays any but a minor role in cooking the steak.

Last edited:
I would go to your flea market or garage sales and look for a used Farberware indoor grill. It has a big heating element and everything else is stainless steel. It makes a pretty good thick steak.

If that is not possible I would practice making steak au poivre or steak diane.Both are thinner steak recipes.

I have never had good luck with a thicker steak under the broiler or in a pan. It may just be me though.

I'm an amateur not an expert, and I haven't researched it either, but I have a notion that when you throw a steak on a cast iron pan or griddle that the steak develops a layer of browning that seals in juices and that there isn't much in the way of trapped steam to interfere with heat transfer via conduction. If there is any steam I doubt it plays any but a minor role in cooking the steak.

Searing doesn't seal in juices, though. That's a "kitchen myth"

But you need to start with a dry, preferably room temp piece of meat.

Sear and Blast method works well.

Liberally salt your steak.

Get a cast iron skillet very hot.

Turn your oven to 450.

Open a window.

Dry any moisture off the meat.

Plop it in the skillet.

Turn after about 3-4 min and put it into the oven for another 5 or until cooked to your liking.

First, you find some aged USDA prime, bone-in ribeye, and select the two best steaks. Then you hop a flight and come to my home town, then to my house. I've got the cast iron pan that's just right for the job. We'll season with salt and pepper only. I'll cook the first steak to perfection, with some sauteed portabella caps on the side, and invite you to cook the 2nd one, using the same technique I used. Then we break out the A1 Sauce, the Lee & Perrin's Worcestershire sauce, some good, home made salsa, and sever it up with steamed asparagus on the side. I'll eat my steak, and you eat yours.

Easy, right?:LOL:

Seriously, it depends on the thickness of the steak, and what cut you are using. Remember, the goal is to get the meat hot enough to fulfill your particular taste. Searing does not seal in the juices. Try it. you will see juices pool on top of the steak while the other side is forming that wonderfully flavored browned crust. Flip it over after three minutes and let it sit for another three minutes. Again, you will see juices oozing out the top.

What searing does, is to make that wonderfully browned, and flavorful crust. What makes it juicy and tender is cooking it to the proper temperature, and choosing a good cut of meat.

The above directions were for a rare, bone-in steak, chuck, rib-eye, 7 bone, etc. If I were cooking top round, I would pound it to help tenderized the meat. In fact, I have a spring-loaded chopper with three blades that I use to work seasoned flour into the meat for chicken fried steak. Cook that steak in a little oil for about ten minutes per side, over low heat. cook until the coating is well browned.

For sirloin, brisket, flat-iron, petite, flank, and hangar steak, I cook for about 3 minutes per side, or until the meat juices begin to appear on top. I remove the meat to a platter and let rest for about seven minutes. Then I slice it on the bias, against the grain, to form thin slices of medium rare meat.

Porterhouse, T-bone, New york Strip, Ribeye (also called club steak) are all cooked the same way.

A classic technique for Beef Tenderloin; cut into 1 inch thick medallions, seasoned with salt an pepper, wrapped with bacon that is secured to the sides with toothppicks, and fried in butter for 4 minutes per side. Top with a steamed artichoke heart, with mushrooms on the side. Place compound butter on top, before placing the artichoke heart on top.

Now if you're going outside, just make a camp fire and skewer that steak on a stick. Roast over the hot coals and then eat it like you were a carnivorous animal. Or, gill it over hot charcoal.:chef:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Searing doesn't seal in juices, though. That's a "kitchen myth"

But you need to start with a dry, preferably room temp piece of meat.

Nevertheless I don't feel that my pan fried steak was steamed. I think that conduction is the main heating mechanism by far.

Try this:

1. steam a steak

2. pan fry a steak

Compare the two. :LOL:

Last edited:
Nevertheless I don't feel that my pan fried steak was steamed. I think that conduction is the main heating mechanism by far.

Try this:

1. steam a steak

2. pan fry a steak

Compare the two. :LOL:

In my dishwasher ? Like salmon?

Unless your steak was wet when it hit the pan I'm sure you didn't steam it.

In my dishwasher ? Like salmon?

At first you almost had me suckered, until I recalled the oddball stunts where people did cook stuff in dishwashers. :)

Unless your steak was wet when it hit the pan I'm sure you didn't steam it.

The sub-discussion started with a comment regarding steaming as an appreciable effect in pan frying steaks. I doubted that, and still doubt it, but evidently not for the correct reasons. And no, I don't wash my steaks. Unless of course I'm cooking them in my dish washer. :D

Has anyone had any luck with bacon wrapped around a filet mignon? I always pull it off and throw it away. It's never cooked enough for my taste. I detest limp bacon.

TL I bought some bacon wrapped FMs at the market and tried them, with the same result, limp bacon, maybe not even fully cooked. Maybe it's only for people who like very well done steaks.

Has anyone had any luck with bacon wrapped around a filet mignon? I always pull it off and throw it away. It's never cooked enough for my taste. I detest limp bacon.
I think the bacon is there to help keep the steak moist. Eating it is optional. This has been around for decades when most steak was quite a bit fattier than they are today, so by those standards filet must have seemed quite dry....

Back
Top Bottom