"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques
Old 10-01-2007, 08:57 AM   #1
Assistant Cook
Whats the best way to do Roast Potatoes

belive it or not i have never actually done / made roasted potatoes, but i was watching a tv cooking program the other week and someone put some sliced or chunked potaotes into a oven dish then sprinked some oil over and some herb

whats everyones best way ? also whats the rough cooking times?

Ransom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 09:05 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef
I prefer red potatoes. I cut them into pieces, toss with olive oil and the herbs of your choice (e.g. rosemary, thyme, garlic etc). Roast in a 450 F oven for about 20-30 minutes until tender.

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 09:20 AM   #3
Master Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
What Andy said. I also often add garlic and/or onions, and you can include other root veggies, as they all cook at about the same rate. Just remember to have the pieces all be about the same size.

This will all work by placing a sheet pan with the prepped veggies on the bottom shelf of your oven while roasting a turkey, lamb leg, prime rib, chicken.... (take your pick)!
Wine is the food that completes the meal.
ChefJune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 09:49 AM   #4
Head Chef
I make roasted potatoes in my Lodge cast iron skillet. First, par boil the cut potatoes for about 10 minutes. Put all the potatoes in the correct sized skillet, pour cooking oil, (I used Mazzola corn oil or olive oil) in the center of your hand and rub all the potatoes with the oil. Salt and pepper them, roast uncovered at 400 - 425 for about 25 to 30 minutes til they're tender turning them a couple of times during roasting and you will have the most gorgeous, golden brown potatoes ever.
Visit my blogsite: Chew On This
DramaQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 10:06 AM   #5
Executive Chef
Send a message via MSN to YT2095
Totally depends on How you like them! there is no ONE set method.

some parboil and then introduce them to the hot oil some score and flour coat them and then the oil, some just throw them in as they are with a sprinkle of salt :)

I will say that the Best roasters are done with Beef or Goose fat though :)
So long and Thanks for all the Fish ;)

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 10:10 AM   #6
Executive Chef
IMO the best roast potatoes are made like this.

Use a floury potato, desiree works quite well. Peel and cut into equal sizes. Put intio cold water on the stove top. Bring to the boil and simmer for about 5 minutes. Meanwhile put a roasting pan with goose or duck fat or other dripping into very hot oven so the pan gets hot and the fat melts. Add the drained potatoes, turn in the fat and return to oven. Turn after about 15mins. Cook until goldn brown (about 30mins altogether).
miniman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 10:10 AM   #7
Executive Chef
I like to roast them around a roast of beef or pork or lamb, but duck or chicken is fine too. They pick up the flavors of the meat juices and any herb rub you've used, and also any other root veggies you have around the roast (onion carrot parsnip etc)

But if going alone, I like the par boil method of dramaqueen, then I rough them up a buit by shaking in a colander , and I use either lard or meat fat (duck for example) heating a couple tablespoons of it and tossing the spuds in it. If you don't have that handy, peanut oil and herbs work well.

Another tasty idea is dip in olive oil, srinkle with salt and pepper then dip in parm cheese and roast. Or a dijon and rosemary olive oil balsamic vinegrette and roast.

All of these are great.
Robo410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 10:15 AM   #8
I add a little worcestershire sauce to the potatoes if I do them in chunks. I do my oven roasted potatoes whole quite often. I peel them, then I rub them with a bit of butter or margarine, sprinkle them with salt and just place them on the oven racks while the roast (or chicken, or whatever) is cooking. They need about an hour at 350 for this method. The outside gets nice and crunchy and the inside is fluffy and tender. Mmm.
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 10:20 AM   #9
Assistant Cook
Thanks all for your comments, i will be giving some of these idea's a try tonight.

Thanks again
Old 10-01-2007, 10:28 AM   #10
Assistant Cook
would rosemary be a good option to sprinkle over the roasties when cooking them ?

trying to repay the g/f some by making her a nice meal or at least try :)