Whats the best way to do Roast Potatoes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ransom

Assistant Cook
belive it or not i have never actually done / made roasted potatoes, but i was watching a tv cooking program the other week and someone put some sliced or chunked potaotes into a oven dish then sprinked some oil over and some herb

whats everyones best way ? also whats the rough cooking times?

I prefer red potatoes. I cut them into pieces, toss with olive oil and the herbs of your choice (e.g. rosemary, thyme, garlic etc). Roast in a 450 F oven for about 20-30 minutes until tender.

What Andy said. I also often add garlic and/or onions, and you can include other root veggies, as they all cook at about the same rate. Just remember to have the pieces all be about the same size.

This will all work by placing a sheet pan with the prepped veggies on the bottom shelf of your oven while roasting a turkey, lamb leg, prime rib, chicken.... (take your pick)!

I make roasted potatoes in my Lodge cast iron skillet. First, par boil the cut potatoes for about 10 minutes. Put all the potatoes in the correct sized skillet, pour cooking oil, (I used Mazzola corn oil or olive oil) in the center of your hand and rub all the potatoes with the oil. Salt and pepper them, roast uncovered at 400 - 425 for about 25 to 30 minutes til they're tender turning them a couple of times during roasting and you will have the most gorgeous, golden brown potatoes ever.

Last edited:
Totally depends on How you like them! there is no ONE set method.

some parboil and then introduce them to the hot oil some score and flour coat them and then the oil, some just throw them in as they are with a sprinkle of salt :)

I will say that the Best roasters are done with Beef or Goose fat though :)

IMO the best roast potatoes are made like this.

Use a floury potato, desiree works quite well. Peel and cut into equal sizes. Put intio cold water on the stove top. Bring to the boil and simmer for about 5 minutes. Meanwhile put a roasting pan with goose or duck fat or other dripping into very hot oven so the pan gets hot and the fat melts. Add the drained potatoes, turn in the fat and return to oven. Turn after about 15mins. Cook until goldn brown (about 30mins altogether).

I like to roast them around a roast of beef or pork or lamb, but duck or chicken is fine too. They pick up the flavors of the meat juices and any herb rub you've used, and also any other root veggies you have around the roast (onion carrot parsnip etc)

But if going alone, I like the par boil method of dramaqueen, then I rough them up a buit by shaking in a colander , and I use either lard or meat fat (duck for example) heating a couple tablespoons of it and tossing the spuds in it. If you don't have that handy, peanut oil and herbs work well.

Another tasty idea is dip in olive oil, srinkle with salt and pepper then dip in parm cheese and roast. Or a dijon and rosemary olive oil balsamic vinegrette and roast.

All of these are great.

I add a little worcestershire sauce to the potatoes if I do them in chunks. I do my oven roasted potatoes whole quite often. I peel them, then I rub them with a bit of butter or margarine, sprinkle them with salt and just place them on the oven racks while the roast (or chicken, or whatever) is cooking. They need about an hour at 350 for this method. The outside gets nice and crunchy and the inside is fluffy and tender. Mmm.

Thanks all for your comments, i will be giving some of these idea's a try tonight.

Thanks again

would rosemary be a good option to sprinkle over the roasties when cooking them ?

trying to repay the g/f some by making her a nice meal or at least try :)

would rosemary be a good option to sprinkle over the roasties when cooking them ?

trying to repay the g/f some by making her a nice meal or at least try :)

That's how I make mine!

I try to buy smaller reds and peel around them exposing some of the white flesh. If they are larger I either cut in half or something so they'll all be roughly the same size.

I heat a pan and toss them in with just a TAD of oil. I want them to roast, not fry. Once the white parts have gotten browned I toss in a handful of shallots, a couple pats of butter, some salt, and the fresh rosemary and place in 375 degree oven for about 20 minutes or so. The time just depends. You will need to turn them a couple times to promote even browning.

belive it or not i have never actually done / made roasted potatoes, but i was watching a tv cooking program the other week and someone put some sliced or chunked potaotes into a oven dish then sprinked some oil over and some herb

whats everyones best way ? also whats the rough cooking times?

Ransom, welcome to DC. For roasting, I preheat my oven about 375, & slice the potatoes (skin on). Prepare a baking sheet w foil sprayed w non-stick cooking spray. I pour about 1/4 cup of evoo in a mixing cup, then add the herbs of choice - (if using dried rosemary - crush first), add in finely chopped garlic, & sometimes lemon juice. The herbs vary depending on your taste. You can mix up a blend of parsley, oregano, basil or rosemary - fresh or dried. Herbs de provence is another suggestion. Arrange the sliced potatoes in an even layer on the prepared cooking sheet/roasting pan/baking dish and drizzle with oil/herb mixture. I like to add a little salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste. Sometimes I will add in sliced onion rings. Halfway through cooking time (about 30-45 mins total - time varies depending on amount), turn the taters over. You want them golden/brown and not too crispy.

Certain types of potatoes roast better than others. I pretty much roast 'em all... reds, whites, sweet potatoes fries/wedges with some chili powder (& sometimes lime juice). French fries are great roasted as well. Have fun & experiment w seasoings and different types of potatoes.

Last edited:
The absolute best way to roast potatoes is the same way you do marshmallows: Jam a potato onto the end of a stick and hold it over an open fire.

The way I love to do it is to preheat the oven to 400 degrees, and have a large cast iron skillet in the oven so it gets hot. Once skillet and oven are up to temp, I cut the potatoes into 1” pieces, skin on. Then put them in a large Tupperware bowl that has a lid.

To the bowl of potatoes, I had about 2 Tbsp of oil. Then I add Seasoned Salt, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, and Italian Seasoning. I put the lid on, then shake it vigorously to coat all the potatoes pieces. I then dump them into the hot skillet which goes back into the oven to bake for 30-35 minutes undisturbed.

These “shake-and-bake” potatoes are a favorite of ours.....and I haven’t had them in a while! Looks like these are on tonight's menu!

The way I love to do it is to preheat the oven to 400 degrees, and have a large cast iron skillet in the oven so it gets hot. Once skillet and oven are up to temp, I cut the potatoes into 1” pieces, skin on. Then put them in a large Tupperware bowl that has a lid.

To the bowl of potatoes, I had about 2 Tbsp of oil. Then I add Seasoned Salt, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, and Italian Seasoning. I put the lid on, then shake it vigorously to coat all the potatoes pieces. I then dump them into the hot skillet which goes back into the oven to bake for 30-35 minutes undisturbed.

These “shake-and-bake” potatoes are a favorite of ours.....and I haven’t had them in a while! Looks like these are on tonight's menu!

They're on tonight's menu for me too. I haven't thought about making roasted potatoes in a long time and this thread got me thinking about how much I love them. I'll be making chicken breasts on the bbq grill, honey/ginger carrots and roast potatoes.
I know the duckfat/goose fat method is superior, but who has goose fat on hand that often? :ermm:

Ransom I do like rosemary on mine. I coat them with oil, s&p, sometimes add garlic or onion and whatever herb I may have. It is best not to crowd them on the sheet. Good luck.

I enjoy roasting sweet potatoes with olive oil, a little cumin and rosemary. Toss then bake.

I love them cooked in pork fat, from a pork roast not cured pork(bacon). They take on a wonderful brown look and terrific rich flavor. Of course olive oil is better for you...

I use a pre-mixed seasoning called "herbs de provenance" (something like that). Very tasty....

I made these just last night. I cut small red potatoes in half and precooked them for a few minutes in the microwave; this retains water-soluble vitamins that could be lost when boiling. Then I tossed them with olive oil and a new seasoning blend I got from from Penzey's called Mural of Flavor and put them in the toaster oven at 400 degrees to brown. Very tasty :)

This is my favorite recipe for roasted vegetables, & although it's for more than just potatoes, the method is essentially the same.

ROASTED MIXED ROOT VEGETABLES

2 medium thin-skinned/waxy white or red potatoes
2 small/medium turnips
2 small/medium onions
2 large carrots, peeled if desired
Handful of peeled garlic cloves, or peeled cloves from 2 heads
Extra-virgin olive oil
Salt
Freshly ground black pepper
Dried or fresh-chopped rosemary
Paprika

Preheat oven to 475 degrees.

Cut potatoes in half lengthwise & each half in thirds crosswise. Peel turnips, cut in half lengthwise & each half in thirds crosswise. Peel onions, cut in half lengthwise & each half in half.again lengthwise. Cut carrots into 2” long chunks.

Place all vegetables on a rimmed baking sheet & drizzle well with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, rosemary, & paprika, & using your hands, lightly toss vegetables on baking sheet until thoroughly covered with oil & spices. Spread vegetables out on the baking sheet in a single layer, or as close thereto as possible.

Roast vegetables for 15 minutes at 450, stirring occasionally, then turn heat down to 400 & continue roasting for another 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Test for doneness by piercing with a sharp knife, which should slide in fairly easily, but perhaps with a “little” resistance in the center.

Makes an excellent accompaniment to a plain roast chicken.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom