What's your fav method for roasting garlic?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

black chef

Senior Cook
here's the way i do it... never had a complaint yet:

1. one cup fresh peeled garlic cloves left whole.
2. one cup of good extra virgin olive oil (i use frantoia or lucini select)

method:

place oil + garlic in an oven proof dish where the cloves are submersed in the oil completely; a tall somewhat narrow dish usually does the trick.

cover the dish with alum. foil and bake (rack in the center) at 375 F for 45 min to an hour.

remove the cloves from the oil and reserve the COOLED, GARLIC-INFUSED OLIVE OIL for later use.

puree or smash the roasted garlic and use as needed. i equate about a tsp of puree = to one clove of garlic in my recipes.

optional ingredients to add to the BASIC MIXTURE:

A. thyme and/or rosemary sprig or two. (option)
B. chili flakes
C. basil
D. whole black peppercorns and lemon rinds (this is WONDERFUL)

how do you roast your garlic?

My favorite subject!!!

slice off the very top of the whole head, drizzle w/ olive oil, salt an pepper.
wrap tighly in foil, 425 for 45 min.

I'm hungry now.

My favorite subject!!!

slice off the very top of the whole head, drizzle w/ olive oil, salt an pepper.
wrap tighly in foil, 425 for 45 min.

I'm hungry now.

That's how I do it too! Pop it in the oven and by the time you have your potatoes peeled, washed, diced, cooked and mashed...it's ready to add! :)

Same baking method - slice off the (distal?) end, drizzle with oil, wrap in foil and bake low and slow.

Sometimes once these cool, I put them in the fridge and when the are solid enough, I slice them, lightly salt them and *then* shallow fry them - they are mild and crispy and so wonderful.

Slice the end off, put some EVOO in my garlic roaster plus a little kosher salt, place garlic in roaster cut side down, close lid, push button, wait 30 minutes :)

I think I have to get me one of those gadgets:rolleyes:

Set it and forget it. My kind of cooking.
My only complaint is it could be larger. The heads have to be pretty small if you are going to put three in.

my favorite food item EVER!!!!

whole cloves
preheat over to liek 275

take cloves and put them on top of tinfoil on a sheet pan (catches oil if it leaks)
drizzle healthy amount of EVOO and kosher salt.

wrap tin foil up like hershey kiss and place in oven. Every 20 minutes or so grab it give it a nice shake to toss aroudn the cloves for even brownness.

ocne soft and mushy remove.

I usually throw the oil into something but its very salty.

take cloves, pop a few in my mouth then puree the rest to make a paste.

store in sealed plastic container in fridge.

Use when needed.

nothing better then having roasted garlic when you need it.

I would use other stuff to help add some flavor but i use it in a wide variety of items that I need to keep it as simple as possible.

I dont roast garlic often but when i do i I just crack open a head of garlic, remove skin, add it to a heavyweight nonstick 1/2 quart pot, cover with oil, add glass lid on top and simmer until golden color is achieved.

I keep the oil as it its now garlic flavored. I keep it in the refrigerator for future cooking.

I dont roast garlic often but when i do i I just crack open a head of garlic, remove skin, add it to a heavyweight nonstick 1/2 quart pot, cover with oil, add glass lid on top and simmer until golden color is achieved.

I keep the oil as it its now garlic flavored. I keep it in the refrigerator for future cooking.

I have read in several places that there is still a botulism risk with roasted garlic in oil, just as there is for raw garlic in oil. So I would recommend not keeping your oil around for more than 2 weeks.

I have read in several places that there is still a botulism risk with roasted garlic in oil, just as there is for raw garlic in oil. So I would recommend not keeping your oil around for more than 2 weeks.

I keep it in the refrigerator where it solidifies. As i need it i just scoop it out with a spoon. Thanks for the heads up though. One can never take too much caution.;)

I keep it in the refrigerator where it solidifies. As i need it i just scoop it out with a spoon. Thanks for the heads up though. One can never take too much caution.;)

"Solidifies" isn't the issue. :chef: Just know not to keep it for very long.

I do it the same way as susiequzie, but I use my countertop convection oven, so it doesn't take as long...maybe 20-30 minutes. Take it out, let it cool a bit, and squeeze that good sweet garlic out like toothpaste.

Back
Top Bottom