"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques
View Poll Results: When making mashed potato what do you use and why?
Potato masher 31 64.58%
Potato ricer 9 18.75%
Mixer 12 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-17-2006, 09:56 AM   #101
Executive Chef

If you mash the potatoes in a non-coated aluminum pot, they sometimes can turn slightly gray due to the aluminum material of the pot and the metal masher striking against it..... sort of a chemical reaction.

I've encountered this problem on numerous occasions. To eliminate this problem, just use a SS pot or transfer the hot boiled drained potatoes to a glass, ceramic or SS bowl before mashing.

~Corey123.

Old 09-21-2006, 12:40 PM   #102
Senior Cook

I always use a potato masher, never a mixer, they turn out like glue. I don't mind a few chunks of potato, that way hubby knows that they are real! He hates when someone serves "fake" ones and has the nerve to call them mashed potatoes!

Old 09-21-2006, 02:23 PM   #103
Senior Cook

I use my hand mixer because I like the texture it gives me. The stand mixer is too much trouble and icky mashed potatoes. I like mine to be a little bit chunky with green onions in them.
Old 09-21-2006, 06:29 PM   #104
Head Chef

Smile

I use a masher not a mixer - there is less cleaning up to do.

Have a pleasant day.

Jill and Jolie
Old 09-22-2006, 04:46 AM   #105
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Chef_Jen Send a message via Yahoo to Chef_Jen
I use a ricer.. it makes me sick to my stomach to taste lil lumps in my mash. Maybe cause ive always worked in restaurants and maybe cause my mom ALWAYS made them using a ricer and im spoiled.

Lumpy Mash potato is like Lump Custard.. just shouldnt be!
Old 09-22-2006, 04:56 AM   #106
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef_Jen
I use a ricer.. it makes me sick to my stomach to taste lil lumps in my mash. Maybe cause ive always worked in restaurants and maybe cause my mom ALWAYS made them using a ricer and im spoiled.

Lumpy Mash potato is like Lump Custard.. just shouldnt be!
Ah ... and yet some of us would say you're not spoiled because your mom didn't love you enough to leave the lumps in!
Old 09-22-2006, 05:13 AM   #107
Senior Cook

Lumpy mashed make me gag. I use a masher, just because that it is what is there. But I do make sure I get the lumps are out before I add the butter and cream.
Old 09-22-2006, 05:57 AM   #108
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Chef_Jen Send a message via Yahoo to Chef_Jen
ya its like lumpy gravy *twitches* i hate Lumpy gravy lol
Old 09-22-2006, 05:14 PM   #109
Executive Chef

In the mid to late '90s, boiled drained lumpy mashed red potatoes with the skin still on them became such a big hit. It took off the new heights.

Then, along came garlic mashed and then roasted garlic mashed.

And BTW, I'm going to try my potato ricer soon. With that, you don't need a mixer or masher. Just a rubber spatula to fold in the remaining ingredients like milk or cream, salt and pepper or roasted garlic cloves.

~Corey123.
Old 09-22-2006, 05:16 PM   #110
Sous Chef

Well, for me mashed potatoes are different than smashed potatoes.

For mashed potatoes, I prefer russets because they can absorb a greater amount of fat & water based liquids while still remaining fluffy compared to waxy reds, "chefs", or yukon golds. I simmer them in salted water, drain and dry them in the hot pan, and then run them through my manual food-mill (similar in effect to a ricer) which produces a smooth & skinless puree. I try to work the potatoes as little as possible to prevent the starches from getting all gooey. For classic mashed, I then fold in warm butter, cream, kosher salt, and freshly ground white pepper - finely ground - I hate hard bits of peppercorn in my potatoes. I usually use my Mortar & Pestle for this.

Of course I sometimes custom tailor these to the other courses with a million different variations. Compound butters, herbs, roasted garlic, truffle shavings, infused oils, reduced stock glaces, clarified animal fats, and so on. But when I want the flavor of the potatoes to really shine through, I like just butter, cream, kosher salt, and finely ground white pepper. Having the proper amount of fat is the most important part, as it seems to carry the earthy flavor the best.

When it comes to smashed potatoes, I cut reds with skins on into medium dice. Next I simmer them in salted water, drain 'em & dry them in the hot pan, pour warmed butter and cream over them, and lightly "smash them" with a hand masher. Again, I try not to work them too much. Dicing them before hand ensures you have the proper sized pieces of skin without having to overwork them afterwords with abusive mashing trying to break up the large skins. Being pre-diced into chunks, it takes only a few squashes for the desired texture. Then I add my kosher salt and freshly ground white pepper and gently fold it with a spatula to incorporate everything.

EDIT: Man do I love potatoes...