"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques
View Poll Results: When making mashed potato what do you use and why?
Potato masher 31 64.58%
Potato ricer 9 18.75%
Mixer 12 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-22-2006, 05:22 PM   #111
Executive Chef

I can't have too much potatoes, bread or rice. Only small amounts at a time, and in moderation because of the starch which would raise the glucose levels in the blood.

Bummer!!

~Corey123.

Old 09-22-2006, 05:42 PM   #112
Sous Chef

Good mashed potatoes will pack the pounds on quick if you eat giant heaping portions. I'll eat maybe a half cup along with three or four other preparations on the same plate. Nothing goes better with potatoes than meat and other earthy flavors like those from mushrooms and truffles. A good braise and mashed taters is the perfect winter comfort food for me.

Old 09-22-2006, 05:59 PM   #113
Sous Chef

Oh like someone else mentioned here, I also enjoy a "Mix & Mash". Up here in New England, smoked shoulder is part of many classic boiled dinners. Mixing potatoes, carrots, and turnips into a puree (using the same technique I used for smooth mashed potatoes) makes for a fantatsic base for the pieces of shoulder along with a light (but sharp) sauce made from mustard, red wine reduction, thyme, sugar, and a bit of reduced cooking liquid (both smoky broth and fat).

EDIT: Man, winter is coming up soon... I can't wait.

Looked over my recipe, and noticed I forgot the cabbage. I usually use one of my potato-sack towels and ring as much moiture out of a cooked wedge, then I dice it and serve it between the mash and shoulder pieces. I like people to be able to eat without a knife, even if everything is basically fork tender. I'm also a fan of cooking everything in one pot. Just add the ingredients in stages depending on cooking time required. There is something about the root veggies, smoked shoulder, and cabbage that happens in the big ole' pot when they cook together.
Old 11-16-2006, 01:04 AM   #114
Head Chef

Question How do you mash your potatoes?

Once the potatoes are cooked, I usually used a hand blender to whip them up. I know many mash by hand with a masher or use a ricer. Which do you like best? For anyone who uses a ricer, can you tell me if you think there is a difference between ricer and electric hand blender. I'm thinking of going to get a ricer. Can I use a ricer for anything else?

Thanks!
Old 11-16-2006, 01:09 AM   #115
Executive Chef

I prefer to do it by hand. initially with a masher and then I whip by hand using a fork. I prefer the texture, finding machine bashed potato is too smooth. I haven't used a ricer.
Old 11-16-2006, 02:01 AM   #116
Executive Chef

I mash potatoes by just using a fork. Sometimes if the quality of the potatoes is not good leaving lumps, I will go over with a hand held blender. This way, I can control the texture and consistency.
Old 11-16-2006, 03:58 AM   #117
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by htc
Once the potatoes are cooked, I usually used a hand blender to whip them up. I know many mash by hand with a masher or use a ricer. Which do you like best? For anyone who uses a ricer, can you tell me if you think there is a difference between ricer and electric hand blender. I'm thinking of going to get a ricer. Can I use a ricer for anything else?

Thanks!
If you want light airy mashed potatoes the ricer is the way to go in my humble opinion. Try to fold in your melted butter, in which you have already steeped the garlic or anything else you're adding. The idea, like with whipped egg whites, is to keep the air.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 04:35 AM   #118
Sous Chef

Send a message via ICQ to Gossie Send a message via Yahoo to Gossie
Quote:
Originally Posted by htc

Thanks!
You watched Ham on the Street, didn't you? LOL

I use that squiggly masher thingie, but after watching Ham, I am seriously considering a ricer.

I'm hoping to learn something from this thread. :-)
Old 11-16-2006, 05:20 AM   #119
Executive Chef

This topic was discussed here
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...=mash+potatoes
Old 11-16-2006, 05:30 AM   #120
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Wink

I have mashed with a potato masher and electric hand held, for 6-8 ppl. I still like the electric -faster and easier, not not real smooth w/lots of butter. Was thinking about a ricer but don't think I have the strength to handle it Love taters though !