When making mashed potatoes what do you use and why?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

When making mashed potato what do you use and why?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Both my grandmas' used hand mixers, fluffy and silky was the consistancy, they even called them whipped potatoes not mashed potatoes. For some reason my mom used a masher. I guess I use a masher because my husband likes chunky mashed potatoes, with the skins left on. Milk, smart balance, S&P and a little onion powder. Yummy. Especially with some gravy.

The first dinner my husband, then boyfriend, made for me was baked chicken, asparegus (SP?), chunky mashed potatoes, rolls, and he even hand dipped strawberries in white chocolete (SP?). I went home that night, called my mother and the thing I went on and on about was the fact that he made "real mashed potatoes", not out of a box. :)

I smash the potatoes by hand.

I add chopped onion, green chilis, coriander powder, chat masala, salt and few drops of mustard oil.

I do think mashed potatoes are a matter of taste. I like mashed potatoes. Not whipped, don't want them lumpy, but also don't like them the texture of paste. My husband, though, likes them as smooth as they can be. I just like to remember that they once were a potato.

I use a hand masher with some buttermilk, finely chopped onions and S&P. I blend the onions and S&P then mix it with the potatoes. I mash it until it has a few remaining small chunks. My father gets this since he likes a few lumps. Me and my mother want it more mashed, so more mashing it gets. I always add in a little bit a buttermilk whenever it's getting too solid. Buttermilk's taste is drowned out, but it gives a fluffy texture. I was always told to use a masher for potatoes. I was told people made mashers so use them for something. Blending the onions allows its flavour to go through as even as possible and minimizes someone getting a clump of onions and someone else getting no hint of an onion in the mix. Once it's ready to be served, a little cilantro is added in.

Back
Top Bottom