When making mashed potatoes what do you use and why?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

When making mashed potato what do you use and why?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
"
if I want the smoother version, I use instant...
An old cook showed me what he thought the only real use of instant mashed potatoes was and that was as a thickener. Acording to him it added nothing to or from the flavor, only the viscosity.

I agree, instant potatoes is/are hard for me to think of as food rather than a tool, I do have a box, must be 10 Years old.

i've tried instant but it tastes so fake! sorry...

i read somewhere the hand mixer is the best way to mash potatoes, but sometimes i am too lazy to bring it out, so i do it with those stainless steel mashers...which suits me just fine because personally i prefer chunky bits of potato in it...not totally smooth and silky.

Let me tell something about lumpy mashed potato.
Back in the old country, some private farmers would keep one or two pigs. Of course just like everything else, there was no food to feed the animals, so people would just buy a lot of potato boil it and feed it to pigs. Of course, they did not peel it, but they did mash it, not a lot just a little bit, so it would have a lot of lumps. Nowadays if I see lumpy, skin on mashed potato, it reminds of a dirty, filthy pig sty, brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :pig: :sick: :sick: :sick:

No matter what I use masher or Hand Mixer (I prefer the later), I make sure to whip that potato really well. My wife used to like lumpy mashed potato, the only reason I think that is was because her mother doesn’t know how to cook.

CharlieD said:
Let me tell something about lumpy mashed potato.
Back in the old country, some private farmers would keep one or two pigs. Of course just like everything else, there was no food to feed the animals, so people would just buy a lot of potato boil it and feed it to pigs. Of course, they did not peel it, but they did mash it, not a lot just a little bit, so it would have a lot of lumps. Nowadays if I see lumpy, skin on mashed potato, it reminds of a dirty, filthy pig sty, brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :pig: :sick: :sick: :sick:

No matter what I use masher or Hand Mixer (I prefer the later), I make sure to whip that potato really well. My wife used to like lumpy mashed potato, the only reason I think that is was because her mother doesn’t know how to cook.

charlieD, i hope you're not trying to say that I don't know how to cook...:ermm: anyway, i still think it's all about personal preferences and you don't base your preferences on the history of food...it's like some people prefer smooth peanut butter while others like chunky...or chunky chips to french fries...or chunky pasta sauce to smooth ones...and the list goes on and on...

arlienb:

I'm pretty sure CharlieD was explaining why he prefers smooth mashed. He was not responding to your post.

Geeze .... there are sliced, diced, smashed, mashed, riced, grated, whipped and creamed potatoes - or is it creamed and then whipped in the texture hierarchy? The method I use is dictated by (or is it predicated upon?) the consistency I'm trying to achieve at the moment.

Well, like Aunt Margret would say - there's more than one way to skin a rabbit (she should know - she used to raise them).

I like all the versions that Michael mentioned. How can you not love a potato, no matter what you do to it first?

Will admit that I like my new ricer a lot.

true, mudbug, true... i just tried panfrying thin slices of potato yesterday, to go with chicken kiev...and i thought, here's a new way to use potato as a side! or just boil whole new potatoes and slather them in butter while hot...i've also done pommes dauphinoise which is just pure heaven...oh potato! the things we can do with it!!!

jennyema said:
I hate completely smooth mashed potatoes. Reminds me of "Potato Buds." I need a few small chunks.:-p

Yep. Potatoes mashed with a mixer come out tasting like a mouthful of soft mush. AAACCCKKK. I put mine through a ricer then add a little cream and butter then stir with a fork to mix. I get mashed potatoes that are creamy but have a little texture. Perfecto!!!

arlienb said:
charlieD, i hope you're not trying to say that I don't know how to cook...

G-d forbid, taste is strictly personal preference and one should never argue about it. I merely describe my point of view and where it came from.

Andy M. said:
With a mixer, you run the risk of making the potatoes gummy if you whip too much.

With a masher you get lumps.
I have never had or even heard of gummy mashed potatoes. My mom did hers with the hand held electric powered mixer and they never had lumps and they were never gummy.

I use a hand masher and I don't get lumps. Cooking time is key though if you undercook, you'll definitely have lumps. I actually like a little lump to my potatoes at this point in time. It varies. Potatoes are my comfort food so I do them a lot of ways.

in the professional kitchen, the hobart does most of the mashed potato work, but at home i prefer the skin-on, lumpy version, using a masher or even just a fork. i was brought up on either my mom's fluffy, mixer-made mashed potatoes or instant potatoes. enough was enough.

i'll peel the potatoes and put them through a screen if i want to pipe them for some dish or for gnocchi, though.
icon12.gif

Lumpy. Whole milk or cream. Butter. Garlic.

But best of all? Half mashed potatoes, half mashed rutabega. Georgeous color, georgeous flavor ...

Back
Top Bottom