Which is it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't believe this is semantics. Baking dish clearly has different answers as shown here. I did stop in a cooking store yesterday looking for baking dishes and was steered to their section which was not metal .but will say very pricey and heavy. Also told baking dishes are ceramic or glass,stoneware or enamel cast iron.

A baking dish goes from the oven to the table, a baking pan, the contents are put on a platter for presentation.

Of course it's about semantics.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/semantics
se·man·tics
[si-man-tiks]
noun ( used with a singular verb )
1. Linguistics .
a. the study of meaning.
b. the study of linguistic development by classifying and examining changes in meaning and form.
2. Also called significs. the branch of semiotics dealing with the relations between signs and what they denote.
3. the meaning, or an interpretation of the meaning, of a word, sign, sentence, etc.: "Let's not argue about semantics."
4. general semantics.

You asked for the meaning of a word and people answered; see item 3 above.

Last edited:
I don't think I have ever seen a recipe where the difference would matter. I think if it did, the recipe would likely make that clear.

Not trying to keep this going ,I have done a rec. that just said use baking dish and used something other than glass and the outcome was not the way it was suppose turn out. There is so much information out there,it makes your head swim. And as far as books go they to are just as bad. Oh we'll......it's a shame no body can get it right:rolleyes:

It's possible the recipe itself was faulty rather than the dish you used. I would suggest that instead of letting yourself be confused by all the different sources of information out there, just pick a few sources you trust and stick with them. For information that's important to you, random Internet search results are not the way to go.

It's possible the recipe itself was faulty rather than the dish you used. I would suggest that instead of letting yourself be confused by all the different sources of information out there, just pick a few sources you trust and stick with them. For information that's important to you, random Internet search results are not the way to go.

When the kids were small and in the kitchen, I would tell the kid to get me my macaroni pan. They new it was the metal one. If I said we were having pasta, they would get me the glass one. They didn't need an explanation. They knew which one I meant. They didn't need to get out the dictionary. The name wasn't important. When I went shopping for a cooking vessel, I looked for one that would meet the needs of my kitchen. And it had to be multi-purpose. The second factor had to be price. The material is not important. The service it will give you is. Don't get bogged down with semantics. :angel:

A baking dish goes from the oven to the table, a baking pan, the contents are put on a platter for presentation.

Not necessarily true.

I guess there is no accounting for (good) taste. My dad's cousin's 2nd wife, who my mother referred to as genteelly as possible within earshot as the Inter-loper. She made the Best Tasting Cakes. Set the rectangular metal baking pan on a bread board on the table while the cake was fresh from the oven. She made a buttery burnt brown sugar frosting that she poured over while still hot. then cut into huge squares for us and the frosting when plated ran down the sides of the cake. You could burn your tongue on that molten lava> She Automatically reached over and put a 2nd piece on your plate, never stopping what she was talking or doing to ask your parents if it was ok for the kids to have more.

Now That is Presentation. I think we kids called her Aunt-- Because she was.

Mine was a broad generalization, not how one person did something. There is always someone who does something different. In this case, a broad generalization is what is needed.

Just cause Grandma served the Alpo on the fine china didn't make it a dog dish...

One of these is a baking dish because it's stoneware and the other is a baking pan because it's cast iron? Really??? I don't think material is a factor.
Um, I'd call both of those a gratin dish :)

You can call it a bowler hat if you like. As long as you know what you mean it doesn't matter what you call it.

Back
Top Bottom