"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 04-22-2014, 03:17 AM   #21
Senior Cook

I don't believe this is semantics. Baking dish clearly has different answers as shown here. I did stop in a cooking store yesterday looking for baking dishes and was steered to their section which was not metal .but will say very pricey and heavy. Also told baking dishes are ceramic or glass,stoneware or enamel cast iron.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:14 AM   #22
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

A baking dish goes from the oven to the table, a baking pan, the contents are put on a platter for presentation.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:16 AM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Of course it's about semantics.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/semantics
se·man·tics
[si-man-tiks]
noun ( used with a singular verb )
1. Linguistics .
a. the study of meaning.
b. the study of linguistic development by classifying and examining changes in meaning and form.
2. Also called significs. the branch of semiotics dealing with the relations between signs and what they denote.
3. the meaning, or an interpretation of the meaning, of a word, sign, sentence, etc.: "Let's not argue about semantics."
4. general semantics.

You asked for the meaning of a word and people answered; see item 3 above.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:31 AM   #24
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Then there's this...

Baking Pan - Definition and Cooking Information - RecipeTips.com

Material is clearly not a factor.
Clearly, this is above my paygrade. I won't fault anyone for calling the vessel whatever they want to call it.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:22 AM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I don't think I have ever seen a recipe where the difference would matter. I think if it did, the recipe would likely make that clear.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:34 PM   #26
Senior Cook

Not trying to keep this going ,I have done a rec. that just said use baking dish and used something other than glass and the outcome was not the way it was suppose turn out. There is so much information out there,it makes your head swim. And as far as books go they to are just as bad. Oh we'll......it's a shame no body can get it right
Old 04-22-2014, 12:53 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

It's possible the recipe itself was faulty rather than the dish you used. I would suggest that instead of letting yourself be confused by all the different sources of information out there, just pick a few sources you trust and stick with them. For information that's important to you, random Internet search results are not the way to go.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:02 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
It's possible the recipe itself was faulty rather than the dish you used. I would suggest that instead of letting yourself be confused by all the different sources of information out there, just pick a few sources you trust and stick with them. For information that's important to you, random Internet search results are not the way to go.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:18 PM   #29
Senior Cook

Old 04-22-2014, 03:42 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

When the kids were small and in the kitchen, I would tell the kid to get me my macaroni pan. They new it was the metal one. If I said we were having pasta, they would get me the glass one. They didn't need an explanation. They knew which one I meant. They didn't need to get out the dictionary. The name wasn't important. When I went shopping for a cooking vessel, I looked for one that would meet the needs of my kitchen. And it had to be multi-purpose. The second factor had to be price. The material is not important. The service it will give you is. Don't get bogged down with semantics.