Which is it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mumu

Senior Cook
What is a baking dish? Some say its glass,ceramic or enamel cast iron. But some say it refers to anything you put in oven to make things in. Which is it?

My opinion. Baking can be done in any kind of vessel with sides. but the word dish generally refers to a vessel as you described, i.e. glass, ceramic, enameled steel, or enameld cast iron.

I bake lasagnas, but I have roasted turkeys, chicken, and hams in my lasagna pan.

I have also baked lasagna in that pan. I would never refer to that cooking vessel as any kind of dish. I have metal pie pans, and glass, and ceramic pie dishes.

As I said though, that is my interpretation.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
Anything ovenproof people call baking dishes ,so would baking dish be glass,ceramic,or enamel cast iron and really anything that's ovenproof .Sorry dont understand.

A baking dish is a container you can bake things in. It's often (though not always) rectangular with 2"-3" sides. The purpose and shape define the baking dish. It doesn't matter what it's made of.

So, your 13"x9" glass dish is a baking dish. Your 3-quart ceramic casserole is a baking dish. If either of these two was made out of cast iron, that would be a baking dish too.

Personally, I cook most things in whatever suits the day EXCEPT pastries or cakes which in my humble opinion are always cooked in a metal container appropriate to the recipe be it large cakes/flans or small cakes/ pastries

Andy...., so even my bakeware would be classified as baking dishes too.

I understand what every one is saying. And I been reading too that a baking dish is what u bake in and its not metal. That's why I don't get it when people say baking dish is a container u bake in, ( doesnt matter what it is made of), and others have a strong feeling that when they see baking dish it means either glass, ceramic, stoneware. Even if you google baking dish it comes up showing only the above materials. Very confusing .... Every place i read they say baking dish is either glass or ceramic,nothing about metal like bakeware. Again I really appr. Everyone's help but it seems like there is different views.

Last edited:
To me, a baking dish is anything you bake in that isn't metal. If it's metal, it's a baking pan.

Just my opinion though.
Mine too.

Except (cat-amongst-the-pigeons time) over here a pan is a vessel with a handle used on the hob aka saucepan but not only used for sauces. A baking pan is a baking tin. We just like to be different.

Last edited:
I'm sort of like Kayelle. But since every one is the boss in their own kitchen, I've never given it much thought or had any sort of strong feeling over naming a baking vessel of any kind.

One of these is a baking dish because it's stoneware and the other is a baking pan because it's cast iron? Really??? I don't think material is a factor.

Attachments

• 3qt_OvalAuGratin_L0013_3667_full.jpg
    3qt_OvalAuGratin_L0013_3667_full.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 327
  • PG0400-2067_full.jpg
    PG0400-2067_full.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 234
Last edited:
PAN Definition - 1. Pan | Define Pan at Dictionary.com
2. pan - Yahoo Dictionary Search Results
3.cookie sheet - encyclopedia article about cookie sheet.
4. cooking terms
5.Food, Cooking, Ingredient, Equipment Glossary: Definitions, More

Baking Dish
1.http://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/baking-dish
2.http://www.seesimilar.com/search.php?query=Pyrex%20Baking%20Dishes&cid=4146&gclid=CLfe4s3f8r0CFaw-MgodIzoAiA
3.Baking Pans products - Grainger Industrial Supply

I'm not sure what is what. I do know that every time, and I mean every time I looked up baking pan, in Yahoo, Google, even Ebay, I got hits on metalic cooking/baking vessels. Every time I looked up baking dish, I got hits on glass, ceramic, or stoneware.

I believe that it's commonly accepted that pan refers to metal, while dish refers to non-metal.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

If this is hard for you guys ......just think how confusing this is for new cooks. Sorry never intended to cause a issue with this. But it is very confusing with all the information you find.

If this is hard for you guys ......just think how confusing this is for new cooks. Sorry never intended to cause a issue with this. But it is very confusing with all the information you find.

There's no need to apologize. The fact is, no one is going to care if you call it a dish or a pan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle
To me, a baking dish is anything you bake in that isn't metal. If it's metal, it's a baking pan.

Just my opinion though.

That's what I said.;)

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

:ROFLMAO: But I said it in 20 words. :ROFLMAO:

There's no need to apologize. The fact is, no one is going to care if you call it a dish or a pan.

Like. :)

I can make a casserole, but it doesn't need to be in a "casserole" dish, with a lid and all. Often it's just a matter of semantics. Have fun with what you have, mumu, and if you don't overthink it, you'll do just fine. :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom