Whisk for stirring

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

black chef

Senior Cook
i've noticed that a lot of chefs use the whisk for mixing sauces, etc., but some use it for stirring, etc.

why?

It depends. There could be a number of reasons. Whisks are great at mixing things that have a tendency to get lumps. Whisks are the best tool to make sure that doesn't happen.

Sometimes it is just personal preference. Some chefs just prefer to use a whisk.

i notice that bobby flay uses a whisk probably 90% of the time when he's cooking. i've actually never seen him use a spoon to stir a pot.

I agree with GB......its just what your used to I think. I started out with a wooden spoon and thats what I tend to grab all the time. Granted theres times when I do that and then realize I really need to use the whisk. It really just blends sauces and such quicker and incorporates air into egg mixtures for a light and fluffy mixture.

Whisks also tend to not splatter foods when mixing quickly, like some spoons will, or at least that's what I've found.

as for myself, i prefer a heavy whisk for most sauces & items with less texture.

I'm with everyone; trial and error. You learn to use what works for you. I have a regular wisk AND one of those I was raised cooking with -- it looks like a spring that is loosely coiled at the pan end, tightly coiled at the handle end. I wouldn't dream of making gravy without the latter, which is a very 60s kind of untensil. I honestly don't know anyone who still uses the latter, but someone must, because they are still there at the grocery store. On the other hand, the traditional whisk is perfect for light batters, whipping cream, etc. Sometimes, too, it depends on who is doing the cleaning. If I'm doing the cleaning, and am simply stirring a batter, you'd better believe I'll use the spoon rather than the whisk, especially if it is likely to be sitting on the counter 'til after dinner.

As a general rule, I consider the whisk we're really all talking about here to be best when you want to get some air into the mixture. For plain (slower) stirring, a spoon.

Last edited:
I've got to agree with GB on this one ... things that can get lumpy - OR - for batters that when over mixed will develop the gluten.

I often use a whisk for batters ... quick breads, cornbread, pancake and waffle batter, etc. - where I want to combine the ingredients without the over mixing that would come from using a spoon.

It is indispensable for some sauces ....

I think I use my flat whisks more than any other tool. I'm not even sure why I keep the balloon whisks around - I rarely use them.
The flat whisk does a good job of mixing everything well & scraping the bottom & sides of the pot/bowl.

chefs are less fussy about what they use than many people think. Sharp knife and quality ingredients aside, the range or pot or utensil is not of much concern to many of them. They grab what's handy.

I couldn't function in my kitchen without a couple of whisks and wooden spoons and heat resistant spatulas. I agree with all of you on the best use of utensils, esp, Michael in Ft. W on using whisks to lessen the formation of gluten which leads to "hockey puck" dough and batters. A few turns of the whisk allows the least amount of mixing to batters and dough and still allows everything to be mixed well as opposed to using a spoon.

Back
Top Bottom