Yellow Rice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not a huge fan of turmeric myself, though I use it in Indian cooking. For most everything else, I prefer saffron. I just love the stuff, especially in Paella.

In the words of pop singer Donovan, "I'm just mad about saffron..." :)
+1 steve "they call me mellow yellow"!! saffie is my fav spice but bolas & madge aren't keen....guess it is one of those flavours...love it or hate it.
we are so mad about saffron we named a town in essex after the stuff!
apparently it used to be called chipping walden(presumably because they liked chips!)then,in the 16th century,they started growing saffron there & liked it that much the name of the town was changed to saffron walden!

Saffron Walden - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have never tried saffron..well not at home anyway...

Is it a similar taste to tumeric or not the same at all?

hard to describe the taste of saffron k,but it's not really like turmeric imo.turmeric has an earthy taste.saffron works well with fish,seafood & rice etc because it has an almost very light aniseed or licourice type flavour,but very complex....as i say hard to describe & it also depends,like most spices & herbs on where it is grown & the quality.some saffron is just the crocus stamens,some is the stamens & pistels.generally speaking the redder the filaments the better the quality.apparently,iran is the largest producer of saffron & it is wonderful stuff.my iranian friend who gave me the lamb kebab in onion water receep gets some fabulous saffron...pistachios too...:yum:

Funny, I guess I have the opposite impression of GQ.

I find saffron to have a warm, aromatic type of flavor that's hard to describe. When, I say warm, I don't mean "spicy", but rather warm in the manner that certain colors can be described as being warm. Hard to explain. It doesn't really taste like anything else. That, and the fact that it's harvested by hand, probably explains why it's as expensive as gold bullion.

Turmeric, to me anyway, tastes a little like "dirt" (is that earthy, lol?). As mentioned, I use it in Indian cooking when it's called for, because it's reputed to have some health benefits, but flavor-wise it isn't one of my favorites.

Last edited:
I made this with saffron and cooked it in a pressure cooker! No standing and stirring. It was wonderful.

Saffron Mushroom Risotto

img_1182469_0_a26ea2c31785a89de0032b159cf2ff90.jpg

Achiote is reddish, is yellowish, although fresh tumeric is orange.

I just saw fresh tumeric in a mainstream (non-Asian) market: Whole Foods Market. They had a whole huge bin of it, more than I've ever seen in one place before. Good Asian markets have fresh tumeric (particularly good in Thai curries). Fresh tumeric is an interesting flavor I can't describe.

When I make yellow rice I usually just use a store brand, Mahatma. They get their yellow from saffron.

I'd call it mellow yellow but I'm just mad about saffron. (Google that: hint.)

I just saw fresh tumeric in a mainstream (non-Asian) market: Whole Foods Market. They had a whole huge bin of it, more than I've ever seen in one place before. Good Asian markets have fresh tumeric (particularly good in Thai curries). Fresh tumeric is an interesting flavor I can't describe.

When I make yellow rice I usually just use a store brand, Mahatma. They get their yellow from saffron.

interesting that the herbs/spices that impart yellow colour start off reddish greg.ties in with my earlier reply that the redder the saffron the better the quality.only ever seen/tried fresh turmeric once when bolas bought some in one of the supermarkets locally.like most fresh herbs/spices it had a totally different flavour to the dried version....wouldn't go eating it raw but when cooked the slices were as palatable as,say,a cooked slice of ginger...delish!
another alternative that can be grown yourself is marigold petals.they are known as poor mans saffron 'cos they release their yellow colour when fried.also very good for the eyes as a lot of eye health tablets contain lutein which is extracted from marigold petals.so,there you have it...grow marigolds...the natural insecticide(pyrethrum) in the leaves keeps away the greenfly/whitefly from your toms & other crops,the petals colour your food & they keep your peepers healthy...bank balance too compared to saffie.saffron crocuses are as easy as any other crocus to grow but you'd need dozens of plants for just one meal....hence the price i guess...that & the hand picking as steve said.still love the stuff tho'...bought some in costco yesterday...£8 for 1 gramme....£8000/kilo:ohmy:!!

Why should I Google that? I have it on his Greatest Hits album.

Recipe, please purdy pleeeeeeeeeze?

Yummm Yummmm..........
Thank you Kayelle. I will need to work it up. I can't do at this moment. Need to pick DD up and figure out what dinner will be. LOL Remind me if I forget because I have been scatter brained lately. :ROFLMAO:

Thank you Kayelle. I will need to work it up. I can't do at this moment. Need to pick DD up and figure out what dinner will be. LOL Remind me if I forget because I have been scatter brained lately. :ROFLMAO:

Thanks MsM, and no real hurry on the recipe. I recently bought an electric pressure cooker and I've only used it once. Your shortcut Saffron Mushroom Risotto is just the ticket for getting the big thing down from the cabinet top.

Thanks MsM, and no real hurry on the recipe. I recently bought an electric pressure cooker and I've only used it once. Your shortcut Saffron Mushroom Risotto is just the ticket for getting the big thing down from the cabinet top.
I have a stove top PC. Will that make a difference?

Just lately????? :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Sorry I could not resist.. You know how I am. I love to know how you did that the easy way. Knowing how you did that could push me to buy a pressure cooker.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom