Yellow Rice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giggler

Sous Chef
The Rice, pictured as a side dish to many Curries is very Yellow..

Is that Safron that gives the rice that pretty color?

Eric, Austin Tx.

It depends on the cuisine somewhat. In Mexican or Latin American food it is usually annatto or achiote.

as you said curry giggler,i presume it's indian or asian continent so it is most likely turmeric as bolas said,unless it's a very upscale joint.silversage is right about mexico/south america's & in some places they use marigold flower petals,which are called poor man's saffron as they release their colour when fried in oil.....take yer pick giggler.
off course it could also be that the chef has a 40 a day marlboro habit:ermm::ohmy::LOL:!!

@Harry..I was looking at the rice in Your Spicey Balls picture..but did not want to use your name directly..

I make Spanish Rice often..

and I have made Guam Red Rice, ( red from annoto seeds)..

the red rice really did not taste much different..

I eat A Lot of rice, so yellow would be fun!

Thanks, Eric.

It depends on the cuisine somewhat. In Mexican or Latin American food it is usually annatto or achiote.
I agree that or Badia Amarillo Yellow Coloring.

Attachments

• badia_yellow_coloring_amarillo_2_image1_1.jpg
    badia_yellow_coloring_amarillo_2_image1_1.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 590
@Harry..I was looking at the rice in Your Spicey Balls picture..but did not want to use your name directly..

I make Spanish Rice often..

and I have made Guam Red Rice, ( red from annoto seeds)..

the red rice really did not taste much different..

I eat A Lot of rice, so yellow would be fun!

Thanks, Eric.
shout the devils name & he shall appear eh giggler:ermm::ohmy::LOL:!!
i'm sure i did use saffron to colour the rice for that one....infact i think i added too little saffron if i remember correctly & topped up the colour with turmeric....the two flavours did work well together & it does help keep the cost down...saffron is pricey as you know!

Last edited:
Ahem . I said turmeric . Bogus was copyin me.
sorry hun,missed your's,you did indeed!i'm sure when i cooked the rice for me rendang i put too little saffron in the water so added some turmeric to beef up the colour.any road up whichever one it was the two flavours worked a treat.do you ever buy your saffie from costco? price has gone mad!
couple of years ago i was buying that blister pack of 4 little boxes of saffron for £7 it's now £12 for same stuff/quantity:ohmy::mad:!!

:rolleyes:Attention seeking mad woman happy now :rolleyes:

I have to say I am not a huge fan of saffron so don't buy it much , for colouring rice I much prefer turmeric .

Costco have all the Christmas stuff out now ! :)

:rolleyes:Attention seeking mad woman happy now :rolleyes:

I have to say I am not a huge fan of saffron so don't buy it much , for colouring rice I much prefer turmeric .

Costco have all the Christmas stuff out now ! :)
yay christmas,love it....
glad you're happy,,,if you're happy,i'm happy:)!!

Not a huge fan of turmeric myself, though I use it in Indian cooking. For most everything else, I prefer saffron. I just love the stuff, especially in Paella.

In the words of pop singer Donovan, "I'm just mad about saffron..." :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom