"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum

Old 08-16-2006, 09:51 AM   #11
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefScotty
Russ, have you ever tried using Meyer lemon oil instead of EVO and lemon juice?
I haven't, but it sounds like a good idea. I'll give it a whirl if I can lay my hands on some.

Russ

Old 08-30-2006, 07:01 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

I love cooking asparagus on my grill as well. I prefer to marinade them before placing them on the grill. I like to use four seasons italian dressing mixed with balsamic vinegar instead and put them together in a plastic bag for about a half hour to an hour before putting them on the grill.

Old 08-30-2006, 09:36 PM   #13
Hospitality Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefScotty
Russ, have you ever tried using Meyer lemon oil instead of EVO and lemon juice?
I do that too! I get meyers from my tree.
Old 08-31-2006, 12:02 PM   #14
Sous Chef

It's much easier to flip them and you don't have them falling through the grate."

putting the stalks across the grills takes care of this problem! I tried the skewer method one time, but found it to cumbesome.

a strip of prosciutto wrapped around ain't too bad either... ;)
Old 08-31-2006, 02:18 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
not only a fantastic way to cook it, but also the best from a Scientific standpoint.
the main elements that give asparagus it`s flave are all water soluble, those that Boil it, waste a good 70%+ of the goodness :(
Oil based and fast cooking is ideal, it encapsulates the food and requires less cooking time (temp/time/pressure, are interchangable), and maintains the full flave and goodness.
although it can make your Urine smell a little next day as a result of the metabolites acting upon the asparagine contained within it, creating Methyl Mercaptan (don`t worry, it`s Harmless).

so from a Science point of view, 10 outa 10 :)

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 02:26 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

Oy, yeah! That sounds good. I'm generally not a huge fan of vegetables because mom always overcooked them and served them plain, but grilling should make them tasty.

What other veggies are good on the grill?
Old 08-31-2006, 02:46 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vainglorious
What other veggies are good on the grill?
Loads! bell peppers, onions, courgettes (zuchini), mushrooms, tomatoes, sugar snap peas (monge tous (sp)), corn cobs, kenyan or french beans... the list goes on

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 05:20 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

Grilled Vegetable Salad (with asparagus)

Here's another grilled asparagus recipe. This one was just tested on victims at our block party and then sent out in a Labor Day grilling menu.

The salad is best served at room temperature and includes grilled asparagus, corn and potatoes with a balsamic vinaigrette.

http://www.kalamazoogourmet.com/HOTG...egetable_salad

Cheers,

Russ
Old 08-31-2006, 05:44 PM   #19
Senior Cook

I never buy asparagus with a thick stalk. They're older, sometimes bitter and woody. I love the pencil thin asparagus or maybe a little bit thicker and they way I cook them is to roll them in olive oil, kosher salt and a little lemon juice. Place in a pan or oven proof dish and roast them in the oven at 450 for about 8 minutes. They are sooooo sweet, and so delicious you'll never cook them any other way again. I have done asparagus on the grill and have speared about 6 of them on 2 skewers side by side. Soak the skewers in water first. Watch them very carefully. And by the way, NEVER buy asparagus if it's dried out. Asparagus should be sold with the bottoms in water and should be stored in your fridge that way too.
Old 08-31-2006, 08:03 PM   #20
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to FryBoy
You're absolutely right about dried-out asparagus. It galls me that many of the spears in a bunch are often bad, some dried out and some with what appears to be a fungus or something -- sunken patches of brownish skin.

I don't let the produce man intimidate me, however, and I pull the rubber bands off 2 or 3 bunches and pick out the good spears. I ain't paying $4 a pound for sticks!

As for the thick stalks, I like them better than the very thin spears, which to me are a little bitter. If they are really thick, snap off the end and peel the last few inches with a vegetable peeler. I don't do this for grilled asparagus, but it's good with steamed, which I more commonly prepare.