"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum
Closed Thread

Old 03-18-2005, 05:04 PM   #31
Executive Chef

Barbecuing pork shoulders for Lexington, NC political rally, early 1930's. Open pit cooking.

Old 03-18-2005, 05:08 PM   #32
Chief Eating Officer

That is a VERY cool picture. i love how they are wearing suits :)

Old 03-18-2005, 05:22 PM   #33
Executive Chef

Pit cooking whole pigs near Rocky Mount, NC 1944
Old 03-18-2005, 05:38 PM   #34
Executive Chef

Don't know how they came out so dark. Lighten them up and reposted them. Hope you can seee them better now.
Old 03-18-2005, 05:40 PM   #35
Certified Pretend Chef

Jen:

Alas, I too have fallen prey to the evil "convenience" troll and use a gas grill. I keep thinking I should get a kettle and switch but I haven't pulled the trigger yet.

However, I have smoked some ribs and a pork roast on my gas grill with a tray of hickory chips. I got a great smokey flavor but I know it was a compromise.

Maybe the place to try would be a real grill/barbeque shop. One that has ALL the gear.
Old 03-18-2005, 05:45 PM   #36
Executive Chef

Go with a weber, you can't beat 'em for the money.
Kettle for grilling
WSM for smoking
Old 03-18-2005, 05:52 PM   #37
Executive Chef

Stamey's Lexington, NC
Old 05-23-2005, 06:49 PM   #38
Head Chef

This seems to fit right in with this discussion. It is a quote from one of my cookbooks, "How to Grill" by Steven Raichlen. It is part of the intro to the book.

"The word barbecue means different things to different people, depending on where you live. On the East and West Coasts of the United States and in the Frost Belt and Canada, it describes any sort of live-fire cooking outdoors. In Texas, the South, and parts of the Midwest, it refers to a specific kind of meat that's slow cooked and heavily smoked, usually via the indirect method. Thus, to a North Carolinian, barbecue means pulled pork; to a Texan, beef brisket. Elsewhere, barbecue may refer to a piece of cooking equipment (the barbecue grill), a social gathering (for example, a church barbecue), or simply a meal outdoors."

Until I started getting into the subject, grilling and barbecue were interchangeable terms. For most of people I've known where I've lived (Minnesota, Montana, and Colorado), they still are. In these regions, only the purist makes a distinction. You can do barbecue fast (grilling), or slow (barbecue or smoking), but it's still covered under one generic term.

Sort of like my grandmother always called all cameras "Kodaks", regardless of the actual manufacturer. It's one of those terms that has taken on a colloquial meaning that varies greatly from region to region.
Old 05-24-2005, 11:38 AM   #39
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin
...Sort of like my grandmother always called all cameras "Kodaks", regardless of the actual manufacturer. It's one of those terms that has taken on a colloquial meaning that varies greatly from region to region.
Please pass the kleenix, the xerox machine is broken! I guess I'll go make some jell-o and munch on some life savers until it's fixed.
Old 05-24-2005, 12:04 PM   #40
Chief Eating Officer

Are you going to wash that jell-o down with a coke?

Closed Thread