Barbeque vs Grilling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Understood Marko, and no offense intended. Just trying to head off a disagreement that has no resolution. Seen this particular one several times.

I think (as I have said before in this thread and others) that we all need to be tolerant of the way people use terms in different parts of the world. There is no need to insist that your definition is the "right" definition for one particular term. Insisting you are right just leads to folks getting upset at one another. Just be aware that people use terms differently in different places. Another example is "pudding". Ask someone from the UK what that means and you will find it is significantly different from the definition used in North America.

Here here!

Folks that hail from Austrailia and New Zealand, don't have anything remotely like what Americans, especially those from the South, call "Barbeque". What the people in those countries call "Barbeque" is what most Americans call "Grilling".

I know I've mentioned this in at least one other thread somewhere, but I am always looking for, and learning, slang terms for food and cooking, as well as the different names and/or terms, used to describe food and cooking, that are used in other countries besides the USA. Since I collect recipes, and really like recipes from other parts of the world, I have to know what terms mean.

It's really tricky, reading a title of a recipe, and once you get into the instructions, suddenly realize that this is a British recipe, or an Austrailian recipe. Once I realize that, I can usually picture what the end result is.

Since this is an International forum, I usually try to keep in mind where a particular member is from, to help understand the post.

That said, there are also huge differences in terminology within the US as well. My MIL thinks "Barbeque" means hot dogs, hamburgers, and steaks, all cooked on a grill, high heat, quick cooking. She's from Michigan. I'm from Oklahoma, and I always associate "Barbeque" will slow-cooked, smoked meat products.

That said, there are also huge differences in terminology within the US as well. My MIL thinks "Barbeque" means hot dogs, hamburgers, and steaks, all cooked on a grill, high heat, quick cooking. She's from Michigan. I'm from Oklahoma, and I always associate "Barbeque" will slow-cooked, smoked meat products.

Here is a link to more BBQ terminology that some of us in the south use
Addicted To BBQ - Terms and Definitions

I am pretty loose with my terms as well, until I was corrected by the neighbor across the alley who is from Oklahoma. So now I know I mostly grill and sometimes BBQ.

But sometimes, I just like to throw a shrimp on the Barby and enjoy ;)

Real BBQ

I grew up my whole life in Texas, and understood the difference between grilling or cooking out, and bbq-ing. However, because Texas is so flooded with people from other parts of the country, I was never surprised to go to someone's house for a bbq, and get grilled food (maybe dissapointed, but not surprised). But I never went to a BBQ restaurant and did not get what I came for.

With that said, that is why I am posting. Just got back from a trip with my wife and my sister and her husband (all Texas natives) from a trip to the California wine country. After a few days, we were all missing food from home and decided to go to a well recommended "BBQ" restaurant. We were very upset to find more CA yuppie food. Again, an infused grilled steak or grilled vegetables IS NOT BBQ. Also, real bbq does not cost $40 an entree. Anyways, point being I don't mind when my neighbor or friend does not know the difference between grilling and BBQ, but any chef or restaurant owner should.

I see this thread come up every so often, and every time it does my eye starts to twitch. I'm going to just lock it up and we can all read it and agree to disagree. None of us is going to convince the other side to change their minds so we all just need to realize that what means one thing in one place may mean something else someWHERE else. BBQ means different things in different places, and biscuit and chips and a whole slew of other terms mean different things in different parts of the world. If you asked for a biscuit in England you sure wouldn't get something you'd sop up your stew with!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom