"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum

Old 08-09-2008, 11:03 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

BBQ Smoked Turkey

I have a BBQ pit that looks like A Franklin stove/oven 4ft x2ft wide 4ft tall made of sheet metal actualy it was left at my Father inlaws rent house when the tenant skipped out on his rent over twenty years ago. I can roast/smoke two large turkeys at a time usally over oak coals. I use oak because it burns slower than mesquite. Has any one roasted/smoked turkey over a diffrent wood source other than oak? ..... I have deep fried turkeys and they taste great however I actualy like the roasted/smoked turkey better. I inject them with Creole sesoning and dry rub them before I put them in the pit.. mighty good!

Old 08-10-2008, 10:29 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I prefer Hickory. If I could find some fruit wood I would use that too.

I brine my turkey first, then smoke.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 11:23 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

I use cherry wood and brine the turkey first. The brine makes it jucier I think. And I make sure to use all natural turkey with no additives.

Here's a video I made smoking a turkey last year with my Weber Smokey Mountain

Old 10-31-2008, 04:56 AM   #4
Master Chef

I, too, prefer hickory or pecan. I have sometimes used oak for the fire and wet chunks of hickory or pecan for the "smoke" if I don't have enough to do the whole cooking process.

Sometimes mesquite might be added in to boost the temp (not only does it burn fast it burns hotter).
Old 10-31-2008, 07:31 AM   #5
Sous Chef

a few years back a friend gave me wild turkey after gutting,plucking and picking out buckshot, i brined it then steamed, then i smoked in over oak with a pan of brown sugar directly on the coals when the sugar burns it creates a wonderful smoke. it was delicious, i also smoke salmon this way.
Old 10-31-2008, 07:34 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Wood Coals Rock!!! -----I prefer 20% Hickory --- 80% Oak -----Maybe a little Wild Cherry added in for poultry products -------

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 08:01 AM   #7
Cook

One of the other things I do is spilt the turkey down the middle (lengthwise) with a meat saw. Then I barbeque it. It takes about half the time as doing it whole. I prefer apple wood and lump charcoal. I can inject each half with a different marinade and/or use various rubs. I'll start each half in a sepearte aluminum recyclable pan and baste if I feel like it. (Depends on the rub and/or marinade) and finish on the open grate.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:23 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Well, I haven't attempted a whole turkey, yet. I will do turkey legs. I brine my turkey legs first, and smoke with a mix of oak and pecan.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:27 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

When I smoke turkeys, I brine them first, then I use about 70% Apple Wood, some Hickory and some pecan for the rest, they come out delicious.
Old 05-27-2014, 11:37 PM   #10
Master Chef

I have smoked so many turkeys on the Webber Kettle, that it's rediculous. They all come out smoky, juicy and tender. I use ordinary charcoal, but set in two small piles on opposite sides of the kettle. When the charcoal is hot, I place sticks of wood on top, both to reduce the heat radiation that reaches the bird, and to create a flavorful smoke. Woods that are equally good with turkey include sugar maple, white birch, alder, apple, and choke cherry.

I roast the bird with the lid on, and all vents set to the half open position, for about 12 minutes per pound. I don't baste the bird, and it sits directly over a drip pan. Every 40 minutes, I check the fire and add charcoal if required, and throw on a little more wood.

At the end of the cooking time, the temperature is close to what I want, 155 degrees F. I check the temperature every 15 minutes until it reads 155 on the meat thermometer. The, the bird is removed to a platter to rest for 20 minutes. Then, it's time for carving magic.

This technique gets me rave reviews every time.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote