Beer Can Turkey Dinner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pacanis

Chef Extraordinaire
My first attempt (and last) at cooking a whole turkey. Way too much work carving that bird up after dinner when all I wanted to do was vegetate on the couch :rolleyes:

Nothing fancy. The bird came brined in a solution, so that's what I went with. After it thawed I let it air dry in the fridge overnight to dry the moisture out some.
After setting the foil pan and 24 oz beer can into my vertical smoker (that I was running hot like a grill) I placed the bird onto the can. Worse than threading a needle. I really could have used a hand here.
Then I brushed it with a vegetable oil, salt & pepper mixture. I checked it after cooking for 15 minutes and it needed a couple braces to hold it upright.
3/4 of the way through when I snapped the one pic I basted it.
And that was it. About 5 hours later, running about 380F, it was done. It weighed a hair over 20 lbs.

It was moist with just a slight smokey flavor from the charcoal and also from the smoker itself. I imagine running it hot burned some of the creosote off, or at least created a little smoke.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 368
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 358
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 345
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 339
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 369
OMG, Pac, what a gorgeous bird! You did great!

Sad that you won't do it again. Maybe try it in the oven?

Consider me flabbergasted. I thought you were going to use the beer as a braising liquid.

You sure do make pretty food! If it tasted anywhere as good at it looked, and knowing your track record, I'm sure it was.

Excuse me while I find my drool rag. I'm dripping drool all over my laptop.

Where's the stuffing??????

Looks like the turkey came out perfect. Your finished plate looks pretty swell too.

I see I'm not the only one who's caught drooling at their keyboard.

Thanks guys :)

Z, the stuffing is in-between the corn and the sprouts ;)

Dawg, I wouldn't change the method, I simply don't like all that work after dinner. A chicken I could put on a plate, cover with plastic wrap and put in the fridge until the next day, but the turkey was too big for that so I felt obligated to cut it up right away. Too much work after too big a dinner, lol.
Now if someone were to stop over, eat with me and take care of that afterward... :)

Thanks again.

Looks great!

Carving is worth the effort. Think of all those leftovers...turkey soup, turkey spaghetti, King Ranch turkey, turkey pot pie.....

Consider the Turkey Cannon.
Amazon.com: Camp Chef, Sante Series Turkey Cannon Infusion roaster indoor/outdoor TKYC: Patio, Lawn & Garden

This does an amazing job with turkey both in the smoker and in the oven. Plug the throat of the bird with an onion or apple.
Put aromatics in the tube with wine or broth
Put the bird on the cannon and roast.

Steam builds in the cannon helping to cook the bird from the inside while roasting. Perfect tender and juicy every time.

Thanks, GQ, .40.

Oh there's leftovers alright, lol. My next step after a couple meals will be portioning and prepping for the freezer. I expect I'll be eating a lot of turkey & biscuits this winter (turkey, veggies and gravy over biscuits). And tetrazzini! mmmm

You could also make a turkey dinner shepherd's pie with turkey, gravy and veggies under a crust of stuffing. Mmmmm!

That is a FINE looking turkey. I know its a lot of work, but hey, its worth it. I'd suggest putting your whole bird under plastic wrap outside til you feel like dealing with it, but I think your puppies might be a problem. ;)

Thanks, Alix.
And I had thought of sticking in the grill overnight, but with temps in the low twenties I figured it would freeze... of course then I could have started a, Is it OK to thaw cooked turkey and re-freeze it thread :LOL:

The ultimate turkey sandwich in Layers. I like stuffing in mine. I know, it's bread and more bread. Somehow I think it's worth it for a once in awhile treat. Or hot turkey sandwiches with mash potatoes for a quick meal. Makes up for all the work and time you did prepping.

You can also make a turkey stock with the carcass. It's surprising how much meat you can clean off after a long slow simmer. And freeze the stock in usuable size containers.

Back
Top Bottom