"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum

Old 05-29-2014, 08:34 PM   #21
Assistant Cook

I get to play with every brand,size and type smoker on the market as well as many UDS units and every time 100% I can honestly say the Weber Smokey Mountain WSM 22.5" with a BBQ Guru is the easiest most reliable all around unit you will ever use.

If you can get away with the smaller size 18" go for it.

Add three wheels to move it around easy and PLEASE do yourself the best favor on earth and get a Thermapen online.....last forever!

Old 05-29-2014, 08:52 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKSMOKE View Post
I get to play with every brand,size and type smoker on the market as well as many UDS units and every time 100% I can honestly say the Weber Smokey Mountain WSM 22.5" with a BBQ Guru is the easiest most reliable all around unit you will ever use.

Add three wheels to move it around easy and PLEASE do yourself the best favor on earth and get a Thermapen online.....last forever!
Welcome to DC Blacksmoke. What do you do for a living that you get to have so much fun?

Old 05-29-2014, 08:56 PM   #23
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Welcome to DC Blacksmoke. What do you do for a living that you get to have so much fun?
Live on the coast with many friends and family who smoke!!

But I work in a hospital!
Old 05-30-2014, 07:18 AM   #24
Executive Chef

Quote:

You've cooked on every size Lang, Yoder and Horizon? All sizes of BGEs? When I think about smokers, the cheap brands available at local home improvement stores aren't even considered. BTW welcome to DC.
Old 05-30-2014, 12:30 PM   #25
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
You've cooked on every size Lang, Yoder and Horizon? All sizes of BGEs? When I think about smokers, the cheap brands available at local home improvement stores aren't even considered. BTW welcome to DC.
If price,size and weight are not an issue I would choose a more robust unit,but with all those considered and the fact I love to have the option to easily move the WSM to the beach or wherever I choose.

BTW,a Brinkman is a cheap home improvement brand but in reality Webers are just one small step down in quality as the best out there as far as consistency of temperature and build quality as well as customer service.

The ONLY reason I may recommend a more insulated smoker is if you plan to use is in near freezing conditions.

Remember,there has been more than one BBQ champion who uses this same unit!
Old 05-30-2014, 12:46 PM   #26
Master Chef

If I didn't have a UDS I'd probably own the 22.5 WSM. The closest thing I have to the WSM is my midi-wsm, a 16 gallon drum on a Smokey Joe. I use this setup for hanging up to 6 full slabs of ribs.

Old 05-30-2014, 12:49 PM   #27
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
If I didn't have a UDS I'd probably own the 22.5 WSM. The closest thing I have to the WSM is my midi-wsm, a 16 gallon drum on a Smokey Joe. I use this setup for hanging up to 6 full slabs of ribs.

That thing is truly cool!!!!

I still want a lil joe to use for cold smoking!
Old 05-31-2014, 08:19 AM   #28
Executive Chef

Quote:
If price,size and weight are not an issue I would choose a more robust unit,but with all those considered and the fact I love to have the option to easily move the WSM to the beach or wherever I choose.

BTW,a Brinkman is a cheap home improvement brand but in reality Webers are just one small step down in quality as the best out there as far as consistency of temperature and build quality as well as customer service.

The ONLY reason I may recommend a more insulated smoker is if you plan to use is in near freezing conditions.

Remember,there has been more than one BBQ champion who uses this same unit!
Ok, I'll bite, name some that have placed in category. I won't ask about grand champion. Weber makes great grills, but by no means are their smokers "one small step down in quality as the best out there". Just the gauge of steel used should be a clue. I will never again buy a cheap smoker that will wear out and require replacement, when I can spend the money on a quality product that will last a life time.
Old 05-31-2014, 09:50 AM   #29
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Ok, I'll bite, name some that have placed in category. I won't ask about grand champion. Weber makes great grills, but by no means are their smokers "one small step down in quality as the best out there". Just the gauge of steel used should be a clue. I will never again buy a cheap smoker that will wear out and require replacement, when I can spend the money on a quality product that will last a life time.
Slap yo daddy BBQ is just one.

All I can tell you is in California climate I can smoke anything,95% I set it up and can walk away and every time my maverick will show me from two doors down in a pool my WSM is within 2 degrees of my target temp for up to 16 hours in one fill.

Their 10 year warrantee and the fact that I still have a grill from 1990 in perfect condition.......

Listen,I'm known to have the best of the best of everything,I can afford any smoker and as I said for reasons posted I choose the WSM and the results alone speak volumes.

Thanks for the warm welcome.
Old 05-31-2014, 09:58 AM   #30
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Heres a nice pic of the lil 18" WSM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	21374