"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum

Old 05-31-2014, 10:15 AM   #31
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Ok, I'll bite, name some that have placed in category. I won't ask about grand champion. Weber makes great grills, but by no means are their smokers "one small step down in quality as the best out there". Just the gauge of steel used should be a clue. I will never again buy a cheap smoker that will wear out and require replacement, when I can spend the money on a quality product that will last a life time.
Here's my unit with some goodies.
Attached Images

Old 05-31-2014, 10:23 AM   #32
Assistant Cook

Not sure,did he get a GC....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	21376  

Old 05-31-2014, 10:23 AM   #33
Certified Pretend Chef

I have never thought I'm a good cook because I have good equipment. I wish it was that easy.

I can smoke with my gas grill or Weber kettle. One can also smoke with a WSM or a big, auto feed pellet smoker with computerized controls and continuous temperature monitoring. Better equipment only makes it easier.
Old 05-31-2014, 10:29 AM   #34
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I have never thought I'm a good cook because I have good equipment. I wish it was that easy.

I can smoke with my gas grill or Weber kettle. One can also smoke with a WSM or a big, auto feed pellet smoker with computerized controls and continuous temperature monitoring. Better equipment only makes it easier.
Exactly my point,and when you can load the coal and meat and KNOW it's at temp with no fussing that's easy.......

My 24 year old Weber shows quality and yes it's not the thickest steel but with care they can last a full lifetime,the portability is also great.

Did I say how much I LOVE my WSM?!?!
Old 05-31-2014, 11:11 AM   #35
Master Chef

Nice thing about Weber is their customer service. Their product warranty is the best out there.
They also stay on top of the bbq community. Take the recently re-introduced 14.5 WSM for instance. They took notice of the popularity of the tamale pot/Smokey Joe mini-wsm conversions people were making and decided to market the 14.5 WSM again, after it's been discontinued since the early 80's.
Old 05-31-2014, 01:02 PM   #36
Executive Chef

I am a Weber user and have three Weber units. A Genesis Silver gas grill, a Weber kettle grill and a Smokey Joe.
I also have a Brinkman tunnel smoker.

I love all three Webers, but have found the Brinkman tunnel smoker to very hard to control. Uses to much wood or charcoal and its very heavy.
I have heard much talk about metal thickness and insulation. I was told my Brinkman had thin metal and was not a good smoker.
I have to agree its not that good a smoker, but 3/16" sheet metal seems quite thick. Any thicker and I could not roll it out of my basement. That smoker is well over 100 lbs easy.
I have done some reading on modifying the Brinkman for better heat distribution, but no tips on better temp control. Namely redirecting heat and smoke to the bottom in the tunnel in contrast to allowing the heat and smoke to escape up and out the chimney.
Its only in my dreams can I imagine any wood or charcoal smoker cooking for 18 hours with a 2 degree fluctuation in temperature without having to add any additional fuel. Did I read that correctly?
If this is possible, I am interested in buying one today.

This Weber Smokey Mountain WSM 22.5" with a BBQ Guru can accomplish the task of cooking for 18 hours without any additional fuel with only a 2 degree drop during the full length of cooking time?
How much is this unit.

Lastly. Anyone working on modifying the tunnel smoker. I could use more input. To bad i no longer have access to my old machine shop and metal fabrication shop.
I could have got the design and had my guy do the mod at work.
Old 05-31-2014, 01:15 PM   #37
Certified Pretend Chef

I checked prices quickly and found the WSM 22.5" @ $399. and the Guru has various models around $150.
Old 05-31-2014, 01:17 PM   #38
Master Chef

Speaking of temp control I don't use any kind of ATC (auto temp control). My UDS, for instance, will settle anywhere between 250 and 300, and I'll let it cruise between those temps for the duration of the cook.
Old 06-01-2014, 03:00 PM   #39
Executive Chef

Did I read correctly that the WSM can cook for 18 hours without adding any more charcoal/fuel?
Old 06-06-2014, 12:18 PM   #40
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
I am a Weber user and have three Weber units. A Genesis Silver gas grill, a Weber kettle grill and a Smokey Joe.
I also have a Brinkman tunnel smoker.

I love all three Webers, but have found the Brinkman tunnel smoker to very hard to control. Uses to much wood or charcoal and its very heavy.
I have heard much talk about metal thickness and insulation. I was told my Brinkman had thin metal and was not a good smoker.
I have to agree its not that good a smoker, but 3/16" sheet metal seems quite thick. Any thicker and I could not roll it out of my basement. That smoker is well over 100 lbs easy.
I have done some reading on modifying the Brinkman for better heat distribution, but no tips on better temp control. Namely redirecting heat and smoke to the bottom in the tunnel in contrast to allowing the heat and smoke to escape up and out the chimney.
Its only in my dreams can I imagine any wood or charcoal smoker cooking for 18 hours with a 2 degree fluctuation in temperature without having to add any additional fuel. Did I read that correctly?
If this is possible, I am interested in buying one today.

This Weber Smokey Mountain WSM 22.5" with a BBQ Guru can accomplish the task of cooking for 18 hours without any additional fuel with only a 2 degree drop during the full length of cooking time?
How much is this unit.

Lastly. Anyone working on modifying the tunnel smoker. I could use more input. To bad i no longer have access to my old machine shop and metal fabrication shop.
I could have got the design and had my guy do the mod at work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
Did I read correctly that the WSM can cook for 18 hours without adding any more charcoal/fuel?
Yes gentlemen up to 16 hours with one load of charcoal,I use real wood charcoal using the minion method.

I seal all the intakes except the one that has the Guru,open the Guru vent 30% set it at 225F. and it will in California ambient temps go that long,I need that cook time for pork butt's.

I been looking on Amazon for years for a buddy because I got mine for about $260 when they came down in price just after Christmas 3 years ago but they have for some reason kept the price solid at $399.

Here is my Guru......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	21406