"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum

Old 06-06-2014, 12:43 PM   #41
Assistant Cook

The biggest issue with temp control is poor fitting seems and poor sealing vents as well as a huge door,if you look at my WSM you will see I have three seams and several vents.
After a few cooks this unit is built so well all seams seal completley and the only place smoke will go is through the top vent,which is where you want it.

A poorly designed bullet smoker will never seal even when used several times because seam tolerance is loose and material warps when superheated,as the unit gets hot it's seal can become even worse,the WSM is not affected by heat or years of use or years of exposure to the elements.

Old 06-06-2014, 12:56 PM   #42
Master Chef

One reason why you don't want to clean the inside of your smoker too often. All that gunk buildup helps seal the unit.

Old 06-07-2014, 08:56 AM   #43
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
One reason why you don't want to clean the inside of your smoker too often. All that gunk buildup helps seal the unit.
And never cook fish in a meat smoker!
Old 06-07-2014, 10:56 AM   #44
Executive Chef

Blacksmoke. Any suggestions to modify a bullet smoker? Mine is very heavy duty but very inefficient.
My intention is to move the fire box to the bottom left, then find a way to keep the heat and smoke under the cooking grates instead of over and out.

I am impressed with cook time on the Weber and I am a fan of the products. A bit expensive for me and with 4 cooking units already in place, justification will be difficult.
Old 06-07-2014, 11:05 AM   #45
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
Blacksmoke. Any suggestions to modify a bullet smoker? Mine is very heavy duty but very inefficient.
My intention is to move the fire box to the bottom left, then find a way to keep the heat and smoke under the cooking grates instead of over and out.

I am impressed with cook time on the Weber and I am a fan of the products. A bit expensive for me and with 4 cooking units already in place, justification will be difficult.
Are you sure yours is a bullet smoker?

Look at my pic,the fire is on the bottom then a water pan (I rarely use) then a food grate then another then the lid with the outlet vent.

Sounds like you have an offset smoker?
Old 06-07-2014, 11:12 AM   #46
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post

If you have an offset you can either add a blocking plate just above the fire to force the smoke under and through the food but you will need to have the intake low and within that fire compartment OR raise the food grate so when smoke raises and passes it must go past the food.

Remember,you MUST have a direct always moving path of.....intake....fire....food....exhaust and NEVER close completely either the intake or exhaust to keep soot from ruining food.
Old 06-07-2014, 12:20 PM   #47
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKSMOKE View Post
Look at my pic,the fire is on the bottom then a water pan (I rarely use) then a food grate then another then the lid with the outlet vent.
I see a lot of WSM owners run their pans dry or instead use clay saucers instead as heat sink and heat barrier. Some even use nothing between the coals and the food grate, especially when doing chicken. In this case the dripping juices will hit the coals.

UDS's run with no heat barrier between the coals and the food grate. Some people run perforated diffusers in between, which still lets the juices hit the coals for that drum smoker flavor.

Here's my 55 gallon UDS. As the juices hit the coals it produces more smoke as you see here. But before the juices start running the smoker produces thin wisps of clean blue smoke.....

Old 06-07-2014, 01:13 PM   #48
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
I see a lot of WSM owners run their pans dry or instead use clay saucers instead as heat sink and heat barrier. Some even use nothing between the coals and the food grate, especially when doing chicken. In this case the dripping juices will hit the coals.

UDS's run with no heat barrier between the coals and the food grate. Some people run perforated diffusers in between, which still lets the juices hit the coals for that drum smoker flavor.

Here's my 55 gallon UDS. As the juices hit the coals it produces more smoke as you see here. But before the juices start running the smoker produces thin wisps of clean blue smoke.....

Efficiency is as simple as a well sealed unit,unless outside temps are extremely low.

Other than that what are you trying to accomplish?
Old 06-07-2014, 01:20 PM   #49
Master Chef

Quote:
Efficiency is as simple as a well sealed unit,unless outside temps are extremely low.

Sorry, I don't understand your question. :)
Old 06-07-2014, 01:26 PM   #50
Assistant Cook

Quote:

I think I understand,your UDS has the same potential for a long smoke time as any WSM because the volume of fuel is the same.

Making efficient use of that fuel is your goal

1.) load the bottom with the amount of fuel for the duration you need

2.)Arrange that fuel so it burns in a centric " C" like shape starting one end,the amount of fuel burning will depend on the temp you want(220 thinner C) Minion method

3.)Most important to burning only what you need when you need it is the Guru,it only moves forced air when temps need to be raised,when temps are good or too high the fan won't come on.

Loading the unit is a craft that will take a few runs but loading it correctly and it being sealed with a Guru will yield what your looking for every time......

Duration of burn can be reduced by low ambient temps.