"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum

Old 03-09-2008, 05:50 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Buying a Smoker. Any insight?

I was thinking about buying a King Kooker Smoker. Any insight into this product?

This is the description:

Outdoor Low Pressure Smoker with 38" Smoking Cabinet
$336.11
Description:
Low Pressure Propane Smoker, 38" Smoking Cabinet, 20,000 BTU Steel Burner, 3 Sliding Racks, 1 Sliding Marinade Rack, 3 Sausage Hanging Racks, Removable Porcelain Water Pan, Removable Cast Iron Wood Chip Pan with Vented Lid, Side Door for Easy Access and Minimal Heat Loss, Two Adjustable Side Dampers, Smokestack with Damper and Red "Hot" Signal, Large Temperature Gauge on Front Door, Heat Resistant Handles, Piezo Lighting System, UL Listed LP Hose and Regulator with Type 1 Connection, Instruction/Recipe Booklet. CSA Design Certified.

Shipping Weight: 120 lbs.

Old 03-09-2008, 06:19 PM   #2
Executive Chef

I have a Chargriller with the side fire box, works like a charm.

Old 03-09-2008, 06:42 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Is it similar in dimensions and specifics with this smoker? Is it propane fueled? What do you all use yours for?
Thank you!
Old 03-10-2008, 12:33 AM   #4
Master Chef

Cajun - I assume you're talking about this which is gas powered?

And, Jeekinz, when you mention a "side fire box" I assume that is a wood/charcoal grill/smoker since gas grills/smokers have no need for a "side fire box". I'm guessing your Chargriller is perhaps similar to one of these models?

Humm ... apples and oranges .... and I'll throw in avacados - the electric smokers!

Each has it's advantages - and disadvantages .....

FWIW: My preference is a wood fired smoker (similar to the one Uncle Bob has) - weights about 1,000 lbs and cost about $1,200. Needless to say ... I'm still smoking on an old Brinkman water smoker ....
Old 03-11-2008, 02:56 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Thumbs down New Braunfels Hondo

Don't buy the New Braunfels Hondo, the design is very poor for smoking. You'll suggested modifications to it on the internet, but they don't work.

I cooked a brisket and ribs on it, smokiest results I ever had. I had to finish the ribs in the oven as it took over 5 hours and the meat was still not shrinking back on the bones. I made the modifications suggested, which did keep the meat from burning, but it didn't help the next batch of ribs on cooking. I really regret buying it & wish I would have used the $125/whatever towards a real smoker.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:13 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun View Post
I was thinking about buying a King Kooker Smoker. Any insight into this product?

This is the description:

Outdoor Low Pressure Smoker with 38" Smoking Cabinet
$336.11
Description:
Low Pressure Propane Smoker, 38" Smoking Cabinet, 20,000 BTU Steel Burner, 3 Sliding Racks, 1 Sliding Marinade Rack, 3 Sausage Hanging Racks, Removable Porcelain Water Pan, Removable Cast Iron Wood Chip Pan with Vented Lid, Side Door for Easy Access and Minimal Heat Loss, Two Adjustable Side Dampers, Smokestack with Damper and Red "Hot" Signal, Large Temperature Gauge on Front Door, Heat Resistant Handles, Piezo Lighting System, UL Listed LP Hose and Regulator with Type 1 Connection, Instruction/Recipe Booklet. CSA Design Certified.

Shipping Weight: 120 lbs.
Well, it looks like it's gas-powered, correct? So, no need to CONSTANTLY be checking the temp. Just use your wood briquettes and wood chunks (avoid the wood chips as they don't impart much flavor and the chunks don't burn up as fast) to flavor. Sounds like you'll have fun with it.

I use mine to do a smoked turkey at Thanksgiving (brine first - ask for recipe if you want it)

I also do beer butt chickens

smoked pork butt

smoked brined chicken

ribs

fish

I want to try corned beef in the smoker

smoked bread (just place cut up pieces of a baguette in and leave it for an hour or so - remove it and place a slice of havarti on top and grill, closing the lid for a few minutes to melt it - DEVINE!)

Smoke some whole tomatoes for a different dimension to salsa

The list goes on!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 03:19 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Looks Good on the Webpage

I've never used or known anyone who used this type. But it looks good & seems the popularity for that type is growing - I've seen them at Academy & Gander Mountain.

I am curious to know how they perform.
Old 06-02-2008, 04:36 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW View Post
Cajun - I assume you're talking about this which is gas powered?

And, Jeekinz, when you mention a "side fire box" I assume that is a wood/charcoal grill/smoker since gas grills/smokers have no need for a "side fire box". I'm guessing your Chargriller is perhaps similar to one of these models?

Humm ... apples and oranges .... and I'll throw in avacados - the electric smokers!

Each has it's advantages - and disadvantages .....

FWIW: My preference is a wood fired smoker (similar to the one Uncle Bob has) - weights about 1,000 lbs and cost about $1,200. Needless to say ... I'm still smoking on an old Brinkman water smoker ....
For my money, Michael, unless you have to cook for an awful lot of people, you just can't beat one of the Brinkman water smokers. Don't you think so, too? Otherwise I am sure you would have switched long ago.

Mine was "appropriated" by someone who needed it more than I did, so now I am looking for the new Brinkmans on the market. Wish I could figure out how to post a picture or two, to show you a turkey or two that I have smoked on Brinkmans. Wonderful product for not a lot of money.
Old 06-06-2008, 06:58 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

Go with the King Kooker

The King Kooker Smoker is a good gas powered, low pressure smoker. No need to get the High Pressure model, you don't need 54,000 BTUs to slow cook meat. The front door design allows for quick meat rotation. It's not the hardiest construction, but for home cooking and given the price it should suit you fine.

Compare the design to this workhorse From Cookshack and you'll some similarities. Do a search for "Cookshack - AmeriQue Smoker"

And I also must agree with pugger, the New Braunfels Hondo. It's a pain. You have to really baby it.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:27 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Thanks for your input.