"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum

Old 08-30-2006, 06:52 PM   #11
Executive Chef

I know what a chiminea is so they are the same thing.Cool

Old 08-31-2006, 07:52 AM   #12
Master Chef

Opps - zing .. the spelling went right over my head!!!

Old 09-01-2006, 12:00 PM   #13
Head Chef

My parents have one of these. The instructions were: do not use to cook food on. Even so, they've been tempted to use it as you would a barbeque. I've never seen them do it, but if you put "barbeque chiminea" in Google, you come up with lots of hits. One of them shows a grille positioned inside the mouth of the base of the chiminea, another shows the grille on top of the base (the chimney part is removed to use it like this).
Old 08-13-2007, 02:48 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

Hi, I'm currently cooking Beer Can Chicken in my chiminea. It's very easy. I have one that is open on two sides, which makes things even easier.

I simply get the real wood charcoal hot and move equal parts of the coals to each side and place a bread pan in the center, then set the bird (inserted with a beer can) in the pan and cover the holes of the oven with foil and let it cook for two hours or until it starts to fall apart.

For beer can chicken recipes, look on line.

John
Old 08-13-2007, 04:08 PM   #15
Sous Chef

DO NOT COOK WITH A CLAY CHIMENIA

All clay chimenias eventually give (crack/break) if/when this happens you can be very seriously burnt or injured, plus you have a mess.

DO NOT COOK WITH A PAINTED CHIMENIA

Theres a reason for not cooking with chimienias if they are Painted, you will be essentially cooking paint fumes into your food.

COOK WITH A STONE OR CAST IRON CHIMENIA

If you have an All Natural Stone chimenia or cast iron model, (or are taking your chances on a clay one) A grille grate on top could be used or roasting sticks (over top or in the bottom).
Old 08-14-2007, 12:21 PM   #16
Head Chef

The Big Green Egg Company at Big Green Egg, World's Best Smoker and Grill have a chimnea that is all ceramic and desgned for cooking on. There is none of the concern of cracking or dangerous fumes with this awesome product.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:19 PM   #17
Sous Chef

see that looks fine.

whats funny to me is Chimenias were originally meant for cooking in mexico, but not alot of companies and people use them for decoration, which is all well and good, but many made and sold around the states are not proper for serving their basic purpose. Ive seen brightly colored painted ones and fragile looking clay ones and I shake my head.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:39 PM   #18
Head Chef

I had a friend who had one of the ceramic ones and one evening they were having a small little fire and enjoying themselves when a sudden rain shower hit. Due to the fact that the chiminea was hot within a few minutes of the rain it cracked into a million pieces. It scared them to death. Not to mention made a total mess.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:09 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

[quote=weller_fan2006;313108]Hello

Does anyone have any advice on how to cook on a chiminere?

Also can anyone give any suggestions as to what to cook on there as my parents have recently bought one.

Any help would be great.

Deborah W
B.ham UK

are you vegitarian?if not i got a great link to bacon
wattinio
stirling UK
Old 05-29-2008, 03:01 PM   #20
Assistant Cook

I saw chimineas used for cooking when we were in Cyprus (the Greek end) and I had the most delicious pork casserole(?) made in one. It must have been cooking for hours because it was meltingly tender and full of flavour. My husband brought one home today. I would love to know how to do that casserole. Any Greek Cypriots out there?