"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum

Old 11-04-2012, 12:27 PM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I bought a couple of bags of Cowboy when I first got my Weber. I saw a fair amount of lumber scraps (2x4s etc) in the bag and that turned me off.

I have been using this stuff and I'm happy with it.

Funny... I have never seen anything that looks like lumber scraps in mine. That would concern me.

The kind in your link... we tried it last summer and thought it had a weird odor that made the food taste funky.

I had to put the grill away for the hurricane but I'll probably drag it back out and will examine my Cowboy carefully

Old 11-04-2012, 12:30 PM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Funny... I have never seen anything that looks like lumber scraps in mine. That would concern me.

The kind in your link... we tried it last summer and thought it had a weird odor that made the food taste funky.

I had to put the grill away for the hurricane but I'll probably drag it back out and will examine my Cowboy carefully

I still have some St. Louis style ribs I want to do before the winter really sets in.

Old 11-04-2012, 01:25 PM   #13
Head Chef

i will see whats left in the bag i have ... but i found tree branches .. im ok with that,,
ply wood . and hard wood floor scraps ... the isssue is that all these small pieces then a small tree branch .. just doesnt burn at the same rate .. luckily wally world had royal oak back in stock ..
Old 11-04-2012, 02:04 PM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
I still have some St. Louis style ribs I want to do before the winter really sets in.
Yum!

We grilled through the winter last year since we had no snow. But its hard finding charcoal in January except Kingsford.
Old 11-04-2012, 02:28 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by love2"Q" View Post
i will see whats left in the bag i have ... but i found tree branches .. im ok with that,,
ply wood . and hard wood floor scraps ... the isssue is that all these small pieces then a small tree branch .. just doesnt burn at the same rate .. luckily wally world had royal oak back in stock ..
The glue that holds plywood together would make me concerned.
Old 11-04-2012, 02:49 PM   #16
Head Chef

i looked through what was left ... nothing that could be identified as one thing or another ...
Old 11-04-2012, 03:10 PM   #17
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Yum!

We grilled through the winter last year since we had no snow. But its hard finding charcoal in January except Kingsford.
I have been shutting down the Weber for the winter and just using the gas grill through the winter.
Old 11-04-2012, 04:56 PM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
I have been shutting down the Weber for the winter and just using the gas grill through the winter.
I have not been able to bring myself to buy a gas grill ... But we grilled so much this summer I'm almost there...
Old 11-04-2012, 05:11 PM   #19
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
I have not been able to bring myself to buy a gas grill ... But we grilled so much this summer I'm almost there...

You can't beat the convenience. Cold day, I run out and light the grill then back in the house. Back out to the grill to toss on the meat and back in the house. Turn the meat over and back in the house. Time to eat.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:25 PM   #20
Master Chef

Quote:
You can't beat the convenience. Cold day, I run out and light the grill then back in the house. Back out to the grill to toss on the meat and back in the house. Turn the meat over and back in the house. Time to eat.
Oh, now you've done it....

I think Weber makes a dual charcoal/gas grill. But I'll likely just buy a cheapo gas grill. Maybe now!!