"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum

Old 06-19-2007, 10:48 AM   #11
Sous Chef

Finger sandwiches came to mind immediately. A creative type of salad that doesn't require a knife (caprese with cherry tom, basil, smoked mozzarella maybe a smaller shaped pasta, a roasted corn salad, things like that), fruit skewers with a dipping sauce, etc.

Old 06-19-2007, 11:39 AM   #12
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smyla007
I'm beginnning to put together ideas for my Aug summer wedding. I'm hoping to create a large wicker basket with gingham lining filled with sumptious finger foods to feed 10 people per hamper. But do you have any ideas?

All suggestions welcome...
Need more info. Will the basket be the main source of food for the wedding? Will there be cocktails served - a sit down dinner? Or, are you seeking muchies prior to or after the ceremony? Will the food be consumed indoors in a/c or outdoors during the hot summer months? Will people be seated at a table or on the grass/lawn/beach?

The first thing that comes to mind - cornish game hens, as it can be served cold, and is a little more upscale than picnic food. Eggs or mayo-based dishes, anything that will become soggy and sit out will spoil. More details please.

Old 06-19-2007, 12:21 PM   #13
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
I catered a picnic wedding some years ago, and the piece de resistance for each table was a 16-inch round Muffuletta sandwich. That's a traditional New Orleans sandwich made of hollowed out Italian bread and filled with olive salad, Italian cold cuts, cheeses, lettuce and tomato, then wrapped and weighted down. It's presented wrapped, and then cut into wedges and served, to be unwrapped by each diner (eater?) It benefits flavor-wise from being made a day ahead so that all the flavors come together. It's truly a picnic masterpiece.

I recommend serving it with a bottle of chilled dry Rose wine.

If you'd like the precise details, I'll be glad to post the recipe for you this evening.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:31 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

June,
That sounds amazing and just what i was thinking! I'd absolutley love the recipe if you could. Managed to get the numbers down to 80, so 10 or 8 each hamper, will that work?

Thanks So Much!

P.S. I'm a BIG Rose Fan!!!
Old 06-19-2007, 06:33 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

Fruit Skewers? That sounds lovely-what fruits and what kind of dip would you choose? Great Idea!

Smyla x
Old 06-19-2007, 07:28 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Gazpacho soup kept in thermoses to stay cold - serve in a short bourbon-style glass - either glass or plastic.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 01:14 AM   #17
Head Chef

Just remembered these recipes from Ina Garten (Food Network) for a Portable Picnic. My vote is for the shrimp salad and lemon cake. The food packed in Take-Out containers is a clever idea.

Portable Picnic

Shrimp salad, Pasta Pesto, Tomato and Feta salad and that famous lemon Cake, all packed into Chinese Take-Out Containers and colorful bags.

Pasta, Pesto, and Peas

Shrimp Salad

Tomato Feta Salad

Lemon Cake

TV : Barefoot Contessa : Portable Picnic : Food Network
Old 06-20-2007, 02:41 AM   #18
Executive Chef

FFreshly made pesto has to be eaten straightaway as it oxidizes changing colour to a dull brown/green, so it's best to go for dips like olive tapanade, grill eggplant etc. as they fare much better in the summer heat. These can be served with pita bread or bread rolls. It is also best to avoid cakes with toppings and to go for those dipped in syrup like walnut cake, semolina cake and the likes. You might want to consider mini pies wrapped in phyllo pastry/puff pastry, namely cheese, spinach, zucchini and chicken that have feta in them.

Congratulations on your forthcoming wedding!
Old 06-20-2007, 10:23 AM   #19
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by boufa06
FFreshly made pesto has to be eaten straightaway as it oxidizes changing colour to a dull brown/green, so it's best to go for dips like olive tapanade, grill eggplant etc. as they fare much better in the summer heat. These can be served with pita bread or bread rolls. It is also best to avoid cakes with toppings and to go for those dipped in syrup like walnut cake, semolina cake and the likes. You might want to consider mini pies wrapped in phyllo pastry/puff pastry, namely cheese, spinach, zucchini and chicken that have feta in them.

Congratulations on your forthcoming wedding!
There is a note re pesto in the links I provided - when storing pesto, cover with a coat of oil - pesto does not have to be eaten straightaway - & if worried about discolorization, try sun-dried tomato pesto; however the pesto is incorporated in a pasta salad. Re tapenade - similar to pesto & don't think I'd want to pack up dips in a picnic basket (or fruit kebobs - too wet/soggy). Re your suggestion for cake with no icing/frosting for a wedding, if that is the only source for a wedding cake, I would still go with icing/frosting.

Keep in mind, any food that is left out w/o refrigeration or ice for a lengthy period of time, will go off. I had asked for more info, but let's go with what info we have.

First, for what it may cost to pay for baskets, packaging up food, prep for ? people, and concern for freshness - I would be inclined to go to a caterer.

Back to my suggestions - for the (chinese) take-out containers, you can find them on line, party stores or a local take-out place. I would go for a variety of colors, & perhaps chopsticks (or plastic forks). Inexpensive bottles of sparkling cider is another thought. Party stores sell disposable cocktail/champagne glasses etc.

For the Lemon cake, I would pack up some blueberries in small plastic containers, to go with.

Have a great time & congrats!
Old 06-20-2007, 10:25 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Smyla, I just learned about a picnic cookbook. Has lots of ideas for inside and outside picnics, as well as special occasion picnics. It's by Hilary Heminway and Alex Heminway and is entitled "picnics." I didn't type the title incorrectly, they did use a small "p" in the title. It might be worth taking a look at.