"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum

Old 06-18-2007, 06:18 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Creative Wedding Day-Picnic Heaven-Ideas needed?!!

I'm beginnning to put together ideas for my Aug summer wedding. I'm hoping to create a large wicker basket with gingham lining filled with sumptious finger foods to feed 10 people per hamper. But do you have any ideas?

All suggestions welcome...

Old 06-18-2007, 06:32 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
If your weather in England is as hot in August as it is in parts of the U.S., you'll have to pay attention to keeping the food safe. You might have to line the bottom of the hampers with frozen gel packs.

The first things that come to my mind are tiny chicken "drumettes," ham and avocado-stuffed deviled eggs (careful keeping cold), prosciutto-wrapped cantaloupe, chocolate stuffed strawberries (they are on another thread here today).

Instead of having a large wedding cake to cut and serve, you might want to make "wedding" cupcakes for each hamper and have a smaller "token" cake for you and your groom to cut and eat.

I'll try to come up with more.

Old 06-18-2007, 07:06 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Great! I'd already thought of two-great minds think alike! Keep them coming! Thanks So Much!!!
Old 06-18-2007, 07:24 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Depending on your budget you could put a bottle of wine or champagne with the glasses if wine dont forget corkscrew.Finger sandwiches and a tomato mozzarella,olives and fresh basil and garlic salad with a little bit of balsamic vinaigrette .Oh how fun the possibilities are endless.I love the cup cake idea.Small tins of Pate and a tiny loaf of french bread could also be a nice addition.A tiny box of chocolate truffles or other chocolate in a sense some of these things like the wine,pate, chocolates could be considered as wedding favors.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:29 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
One thing I've done for elegant sit-down dinner parties is to create a pretty menu, complete with graphics, on the computer. Then I roll it up like a scroll and tie it with ribbons and place it on each diner's plate.

You might include something like this in each hamper so your guests will know what delights are inside.

I also endorse jp's wine/champagne idea.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:18 PM   #6
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew
Depending on your budget you could put a bottle of wine or champagne with the glasses if wine dont forget corkscrew.Finger sandwiches and a tomato mozzarella,olives and fresh basil and garlic salad with a little bit of balsamic vinaigrette .Oh how fun the possibilities are endless.I love the cup cake idea.Small tins of Pate and a tiny loaf of french bread could also be a nice addition.A tiny box of chocolate truffles or other chocolate in a sense some of these things like the wine,pate, chocolates could be considered as wedding favors.
I'm thinking more along your lines, j. The old "loaf of bread, bottle of wine, and thou" thing.

I love the idea of a fabulous loaf of bread, some cheeses, some canned pate, maybe a cured meat like sopressetta, grapes, pears , cherries (?) and champagne. And truffles for dessert!

Can I come to the picnic?

Congratulations, Smyla!

Lee
Old 06-18-2007, 10:17 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Yep,I want to come to the picnic as well.Sounds really good.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:27 PM   #8
Executive Chef

I keep forgetting it will be for 10 people at a time mayby you need to down size baskets to 5 or less to make it more personel. Another great addition would be like QSis said a little bit of fresh fruit like pears and cherries etc that would be so pretty.OMG I could go on forever on this one.
Again it depends on your budget and how many people you want to feed etc and how far you want to go.If you dont want pate there is always a great brie cheese or ST.Andre.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:58 AM   #9
Assistant Cook

Thankyou All!!!

I love all these ideas! I was thinking maybe some Riccotta and Spinach puff pastry's? Would they fare well? I'm loving the cheese board idea-how easy is Pate to make?

Keep the ideas coming!

Old 06-19-2007, 08:51 AM   #10
Sous Chef

Pate can be as complex or as simple as you want one to be.

Here are two examples - I'm sure others will have their favorites also -

The first is a very simple, but tasty pate from Sunset magazine a few years ago - everyone I've made this for has enjoyed it very much.

Mushroom Pâté Recipe - Nuts - MyRecipes.com

and this pate from the ACF (American Culinary Federation) is a little more complex.

Chicken Liver Paté

1 1/2 pounds Chicken livers -- cleaned, sinew removed
16 fluid ounces Milk -- or as needed for soaking
1/4 teaspoon TCM (tinted curing mix)
1 ounce Salt
8 ounces Fatback -- medium dice
3 ounces Bread flour -- unsifted
2 ounces Shallots -- minced
1 1/3 ounces White breadcrumbs -- fresh
2 teaspoons Powdered gelatin
1 teaspoon White pepper -- ground
1/2 teaspoon Allspice -- ground
1/2 teaspoon Dry mustard
1 fluid ounce Sherry wine
3 each Eggs
2 each Garlic cloves -- minced
6 fluid ounces Heavy cream

Soak the chicken livers in the milk with 1 1/2 teaspoon of salt and the TCM for 12 to 24 hours. When ready to use, drain well and pat dry with paper towels.

In a blender, combine the liver with the fatback, flour, shallots, breadcrumbs, gelatin, spices, sherry, eggs, and garlic. Purée the mixture to a
smooth, loose paste.

Pass through a wire-mesh strainer into a stainless-steel bowl.
Stir in the cream.

Let mixture rest under refrigeration for 2 hours. Pour into a terrine mold or individual molds that have been lightly brushed with oil or lined with plastic wrap, cover, and poach in a 170°F water bath in a 300°F oven to an internal temperature of 165°F, about 45 minutes to 1 hour.

Remove from the oven and let cool at room temperature for 30 minutes. Press with a 1 pound weight and chill overnight under refrigeration before unmolding and slicing.

Yield:
"2 pounds"
-----

What a fun idea for your wedding!! Good luck with your plans.