"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum

Old 06-18-2008, 09:57 AM   #31
Executive Chef

Oh you are just the DEVIL in disguise, aren't you?

Everything looks so good. I bet your neighbors have become your best friends!!!

Old 06-18-2008, 11:35 AM   #32
Senior Cook

Do you mind me asking how much you paid? I couldn't find anything on the web site that indicated a cost.. I am seriously considering getting one of these! Especially after looking at all of the great food...

If I were to buy something like this, I would certainly be building a roof over it so I could use it all year around.. I might even consider bringing in a natural gas line...
-Brad

Old 06-18-2008, 11:43 AM   #33
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by candelbc View Post
Do you mind me asking how much you paid? I couldn't find anything on the web site that indicated a cost.. I am seriously considering getting one of these! Especially after looking at all of the great food...

If I were to buy something like this, I would certainly be building a roof over it so I could use it all year around.. I might even consider bringing in a natural gas line...
-Brad

I think the OP posted a price of $3,000. in an early post.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:31 PM   #34
Assistant Cook

Yes, tax and all out the door was $3250 and you can use it in a covered patio since there is no open flame.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:33 PM   #35
Sous Chef

What is the surface made of? Stainless steel, castiron? Also how thick?

Thanks
Old 06-18-2008, 12:54 PM   #36
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAchef View Post
What is the surface made of? Stainless steel, castiron? Also how thick?

Thanks
The cook top is 1/4" thick nickel plated carbon steel and you season it just like a cast iron skillet. Everything else is Stainless Steel. Its also very efficient, I can go several weeks on a single 20lb LP Gas bottle and I cook about 4 days a week on the thing, sometimes 2-3 times a day since breakfast is so easy on this.

However I will say that cleanup is a bit more work then any other type of grill as all the fond and grease is left behind since there is no open flame to evaporate it. But this is a mixed blessing as I scrape the fond from steak or veggies off the top and put it in a sauté pan for making sauces.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	xx mess.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	206.6 KB
ID:	4340  
Old 06-18-2008, 01:04 PM   #37
Certified Pretend Chef

There may be no visible flame but the griddle is heated by burning propane. That being the case, this should always be used in an open area with full ventilation as you would a gas grill.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:14 PM   #38
Assistant Cook

True, but you can use it in a covered patio with a low roof unlike an open flame grill that can have severe flame ups and catch things on fire.

I used my EVO under a covered outdoor patio with a very low roof and would never do this with any open flame grill. As you stated, with any LP Gas grill ventilation is key, although I’m not sure why that is true for LP Gas and not Natural Gas which this thing can also run on.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:24 PM   #39
Certified Pretend Chef

LP gas (propane), and natural gas (methane), burns with combustion by-products of water and carbon dioxide. Incomplete combustion results in carbon monoxide as a by-product.

As both carbon dioxide and monoxide are heavier than air, they can settle at floor level in an inadequately ventilated space and displace air with adequate oxygen to sustain life.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:27 PM   #40
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
LP gas (propane), and natural gas (methane), burns with combustion by-products of water and carbon dioxide. Incomplete combustion results in carbon monoxide as a by-product.

As both carbon dioxide and monoxide are heavier than air, they can settle at floor level in an inadequately ventilated space and displace air with adequate oxygen to sustain life.
Understood, so why can't this be an indoor grill, I have a gas stove inside that uses natural gas, whats the difference?