"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum

Old 11-18-2003, 08:53 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Just to revisit the whole cooking temps thing:
I've got a pork shoulder thawing out in the fridge--after posting some tips to get pork to pull in response to Bamacooker, I'm just double-checking that my tips aren't particular to a certain type of smoker: I just bought (another) smoker 2 days ago--a vertical heavy-gauge steel box smoker, and this weekend I'm going to cook the thing at 225 and it WILL pull!! But if it doesn't I'll be honest and report it. I'm too stoopid to have pride

Wine in a box is better than no wine at all.
carnivore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2003, 09:47 AM   #12
Senior Cook

Perfectly Pullable Pork

Ok, as i mentioned before i generally cook my pork at 225, unless i'm in more of a hurry and/or don't care if it pulls or not.
I started a 4 pound pork shoulder at 10:30am yesterday in the new smoker. I had a LOT of trouble keeping the smoker running at even 225--i think i went through a whole bag of charcoal. As a result it took about 11-12 hours to get the meat's internal temp up to 195 deg. I would say the average smoker temp was 200-220.
When it was finally done i put it on the cutting board, put on my "pullin' gloves", picked up the meat, and it just fell into pieces. It was easily the most tender, pullable pork i've ever cooked.
Now I'm not saying that this would not have happened if i had cooked it at 275 :) but since it was MORE tender when i cooked it at a lower temp than normal...well, you know where i'm going with this....

BTW, although the pork had a slightly different texture when eaten, there was no appreciable taste difference.

Old 11-23-2003, 11:13 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Thanks for the review carnivore - much appreciated - and about 10:30 last night a bite of that pork sure would have been good 8)

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 08:42 PM   #14
Senior Cook

If I May...

I live in North Carolina and we are very proud of our pulled pork Barbecue. I have been making my own for years and I believe that 225 IS the magic temp! In addition, I always cook mine to an internal temp of 200 degrees as, at that temp, all the connective tissue will completely break down. If you find that your barrel type smoker (the only kind I use) tends to fluctuate, then erect a foil barrier between the shoulder and the firebox SHINY SIDE TOWARD the firebox. This will keep the shoulder from reaching too high a heat even though the grill may register higher. LOW AND SLOW IS THE WAY TO GO and it also works for ribs.
Old 12-04-2003, 09:20 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Ok, I have to know - where in North Carolina? I live in Hickory.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 06:26 AM   #16
Senior Cook

Oak Island, NC. Formerly known as "Long Beach"
Old 12-08-2003, 05:21 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

posk shoulder smoking

I am from eastern NC and we smoke alot of pork. The secret to the meat falling off the bone is cook it about 5-6 hours longer then you think. you can not over cook it, along with that try mopping it with viniger after about the first six hours and do it every hour or two. I once smoked a 10 pound butt for over 18 hours it was so tender I had to use a spoon to get it of the grill, good luck..
Old 01-14-2004, 10:22 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

Pull-Apart Pork

Here is a cheat method for pull-apart pork that has worked for me . I just got myself a smoker and havent even had the chance to use it yet, but I had to share this with you. I enjoyed reading your tips, I will definately try the apple cider method. Thanks, I look forward to using your tips on my new smoker. So here is a cheat method for those days it may be raining, snowing or your just unable to smoke.

A crock pot has worked out perfect for me cooking pork shoulder roasts. A 3-4 lb. pork bone-in shoulder roast works best. Go ahead and put your favorite rub on it, leave all fat and trimmings on as well. Fill the crock pot with your favorite bbq sauces or your own homemade which I use. Go ahead and be generous here because you want to roast almost drowning in the sauce. Add a little liquid smoke to the crock pot, about a tblsp or two. Let that baby simmer on slow all day long roughly about 9-10 hours. I usually turn it up to high for the last hour or so. You may not need to. I usually turn it over every couple of hours, this way I know how it's coming along. Remove pork roast and enjoy, you will have to be gentle taking it out of the crock pot, as the meat will litterally fall apart. Go ahead and use some of the warm bbq sauce out of the crock pot to drench the roast to your desired liking. And of course with many reciepes, you can add just about anything to the bbq sauce at the beginning, chopped onions, garlic, peppers. Whatever you want to add to this mix will only make it better.
Old 01-14-2004, 11:47 PM   #19
Senior Cook

Liquidh20holic,
that's sounds like a great alternative. I'll tell you what--my GF and i own 3 crockpots between us, and i have never found a use for them other than keeping queso warm when we have a party. But the next rainy day, i'll definitely give your method a shot.
And after reading your post, I was thinking that it might be really good to boil & simmer the BBQ sauce that's left over and bottle it, since it would have all the good pork juices in it--that's if i don't use it up on the pork itself :)

Old 09-14-2004, 03:18 AM   #20
Assistant Cook

crock pot cooking

crock pot cooking.....

pork loin pork chops.......

brown in olive oil and onion and garlic powder (or real if you want) then add to the crock pot.

add 2 large cans of mushroom soup, 1 large can of celery soup, 2 cans of water.....stir, cook while at work on low.

skim the fat off the top and serve over egg noodles (can do the same with most meatballs but also add sour cream.

you can do most spegetti sauces this way also

round steak in tomato sauce (only way to go).

hope this gives you seom ideas