"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum

Old 07-29-2014, 03:12 PM   #91
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
I have the same Weber gas grill as the poster and it's probably one of the best designed grills on the market. Mine gets plenty hot for cooking with the lid up - especially when using the searing burner feature.
Mayhaps it isn't the grill design then eh?

Old 07-29-2014, 04:03 PM   #92
Master Chef

As mentioned, using a cast iron griddle on the gasser would accomplish the same thing.
I recently purchased a double burner camp stove (30K BTU each) with a large 16" x 32" heavy steel flat top griddle. Burgers come out fantastic on this griddle. It gets as hot as any commercial griddle out there.

Old 07-29-2014, 05:22 PM   #93
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
Mayhaps it isn't the grill design then eh?

Design is one thing but performance is another.

Time to give that grill a checkup and/or tune up if it isn't getting hot enough to cook a burger with the lid up.

It's amazing what havoc a tiny bit of dirt can cause or what an improperly sized orifice or faulty regulator will do.

I'm a charcoal user so I have no problem with heat. I want it hotter I put the grate closer to the coals.

Had a customer getting rid of a gas grill once because it wouldn't start for him. I took it home and put a new battery in. It started right up and I gave it to my neighbor. I've since had many tasty things cooked on that grill.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:19 AM   #94
Assistant Cook

My grill is working as designed. It was one of the things I looked into most extensively. I went around and around with the possibility of a defective grill. I bought it brand new. Throughout the many calls to Weber, they told me that their gas grills are pretty much useless with the lid up. I said "but"...and they wouldn't let me finish speaking. They told me that it is an absolute must to grill with the lid down, it's how the engineers designed the grill. I have to believe them because they're right, my grill won't cook with the lid up. I think I made reference earlier in the thread about my burgers looking like raw wet meat on a cold sidewalk when grilling with the lid up, and that's true. Even after throwing the burgers on a blazing hot preheated grill, if I leave the lid up, after about 2 minutes, nothing is happening. They stop cooking almost completely. They get tan on the bottom after about 20-30 minutes but they're nowhere near searing. No sizzle, no smoke. 99% of the heat is just wasted away into the air.

I don't have *all* the answers. All I know is:

1. My grill is operating as designed.
2. My grill grille won't cook with the lid up and Weber confirmed this.
3. My experiment of trapping heat and forcing it onto the cooking grate so that I could grill with the lid up worked beautifully. I've never made such tasty burgers.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:23 AM   #95
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
I have the same Weber gas grill as the poster and it's probably one of the best designed grills on the market. Mine gets plenty hot for cooking with the lid up - especially when using the searing burner feature.

To be honest, I don't like the grill screaming hot when making something like burgers. Doing so usually results in the outside of the burger being overcooked and the inside raw. I turn mine down to the second large mark on the burner control, and let it cook a little longer on each side. This seems to give the right amount of outer char while still leaving a slightly pink middle, which is the way I like them.

One other thing I'll add. The type of cut used for burgers makes a HUGE difference in flavor. I've seen recipes that call for all chuck or all sirloin. Personally, my favorite is a mix of 60% sirloin and 40% chuck. Nice fatty chuck, because fat = flavor. And the sirloin also adds a flavor component that can't be duplicated with cheap meat, making any burger taste more like a good steak.

Dang. This made me hungry. I think we'll be having burgers for dinner tonight.
Steve, I have the S-310 not the S-330. Unfortunately, I don't have a searing station.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:29 AM   #96
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mborner View Post
My grill is working as designed. It was one of the things I looked into most extensively. I went around and around with the possibility of a defective grill. I bought it brand new. Throughout the many calls to Weber, they told me that their gas grills are pretty much useless with the lid up. I said "but"...and they wouldn't let me finish speaking. They told me that it is an absolute must to grill with the lid down, it's how the engineers designed the grill. I have to believe them because they're right, my grill won't cook with the lid up. I think I made reference earlier in the thread about my burgers looking like raw wet meat on a cold sidewalk when grilling with the lid up, and that's true. Even after throwing the burgers on a blazing hot preheated grill, if I leave the lid up, after about 2 minutes, nothing is happening. They stop cooking almost completely. They get tan on the bottom after about 20-30 minutes but they're nowhere near searing. No sizzle, no smoke. 99% of the heat is just wasted away into the air.

I don't have *all* the answers. All I know is:

1. My grill grille won't cook with the lid up and Weber confirmed this.
2. My experiment of trapping heat and forcing it onto the cooking grate so that I could grill with the lid up worked beautifully. I've never made such tasty burgers.
I say go with what works for you. If you are happy with your results, that's all that matters. How you get there is up to you.

Think of your experience this way; you've just exercised your problem solving muscle, and successfully completed a good set of brain pushups. Nice job. This is you -

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 09:19 AM   #97
Master Chef

Quote:
Throughout the many calls to Weber, they told me that their gas grills are pretty much useless with the lid up. I said "but"...and they wouldn't let me finish speaking. They told me that it is an absolute must to grill with the lid down, it's how the engineers designed the grill.
I believe this is what they told you but I don't believe what they told you to be true.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:04 AM   #98
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
...3. My experiment of trapping heat and forcing it onto the cooking grate so that I could grill with the lid up worked beautifully. I've never made such tasty burgers.
You concentrate the heat with foil, the lid does the same thing - it holds in the heat.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:23 AM   #99
Master Chef

I never close the lid when grilling burgers. But as far as restaurants go, there are a lot of them that do use griddles and not grill.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:41 PM   #100
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
You concentrate the heat with foil, the lid does the same thing - it holds in the heat.
Baking the burger, robbing it of flavor. I don't know how exactly to describe it or the science behind it but searing a burger using intense radiant heat as opposed to baking it (lid close) with convective heat makes all the difference in the world.