"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum

Old 07-31-2014, 11:05 AM   #111
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mborner View Post
Steve, I was just thinking of something else. Is your Genesis an "E" or an "S" model? I was just wondering because the E model has porcelain enameled iron flavorizer bars while the S has stainless steel bars. I know stainless is horrible at radiating heat and I'm wondering if that could be the difference between our grills.
Mine is the Genesis E-330. So yes, that certainly could be a difference.

Just curious. Does the S-line also have stainless steel grates? Mine are cast iron.

Old 07-31-2014, 11:17 AM   #112
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
I belong to TVWBB also and have been following your thread there as well. I'm curious to see what other S310 users there have to say about the lid.
Yes, TVWBB has been helpful, also, but their site is not as active as this one. The responses come in a bit slower.

Old 07-31-2014, 11:22 AM   #113
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Mine is the Genesis E-330. So yes, that certainly could be a difference.

Just curious. Does the S-line also have stainless steel grates? Mine are cast iron.
Thanks, Steve. Yes, my S-310 has stainless bars and a stainless grate. Also, I have the last generation with the burners running east/west instead of the newer version which run north/south. Another possible difference, maybe?
Old 07-31-2014, 12:03 PM   #114
Master Chef

Quote:
Yes, TVWBB has been helpful, also, but their site is not as active as this one. The responses come in a bit slower.
I hear ya, considering it's a dedicated Weber only forum. :)
Old 08-05-2014, 12:26 AM   #115
Head Chef

I had a Weber Genesis Silver for years. It worked just fine for grilling with the lid up if that was what the cooking called for (things like grilled asparagus, peppers, and yes sometimes burgers). It also worked fine with the lid down (for chicken and such and it definitely didn't taste like oven baked). I also used it with the lid propped part way open (to keep the temp at about 250) for smoking ribs and pork shoulder. With a bit of care, it did that marvelously too. Just because many things cook well with the lid closed doesn't mean that the grill is useless with the lid up.

We had to leave my Weber behind when we moved to the Bahamas. Now we are back in Colorado, and when we get into our new house in September, a Weber gas grill is going to be my first purchase. I am really looking forward to holding my first grill party.

Maybe the OP is simply looking for something that most of us don't find missing.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:16 AM   #116
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
I had a Weber Genesis Silver for years. It worked just fine for grilling with the lid up if that was what the cooking called for (things like grilled asparagus, peppers, and yes sometimes burgers). It also worked fine with the lid down (for chicken and such and it definitely didn't taste like oven baked). I also used it with the lid propped part way open (to keep the temp at about 250) for smoking ribs and pork shoulder. With a bit of care, it did that marvelously too. Just because many things cook well with the lid closed doesn't mean that the grill is useless with the lid up.

We had to leave my Weber behind when we moved to the Bahamas. Now we are back in Colorado, and when we get into our new house in September, a Weber gas grill is going to be my first purchase. I am really looking forward to holding my first grill party.

Maybe the OP is simply looking for something that most of us don't find missing.
Thanks for the input RP, I appreciate it. You're right, I've had the unfortunate luck of being one of very few people that notice a pretty big difference between convective cooked burgers and radiant heat seared burgers. Maybe other grillers notice too, but perhaps it's not as important to them as it is to me. To me, it's critical for making a great burger. I can churn out "good" burgers off my grill all day long and everybody loves them. Believe me, I'm the only one that notices, so I understand the problem is with me.
I emailed Weber, again, the other day to inquire about the flavorizer bars and the differences between porcelain enameled and stainless, and once again they said, and I quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weber
Our grills cannot be used to cook with the lid open.

If anybody would like to see the transcript of the email please PM me, I don't want to publicly throw anybody from Weber under the bus.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:21 AM   #117
Master Chef

Again, I'm sure Weber's "Our grills cannot be used to cook with the lid open" response must have something to do with safety and liability issues more than anything else.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:19 AM   #118
Certified Pretend Chef

Did Weber answer your question regarding the different flavorizer bars?
Old 08-05-2014, 11:14 AM   #119
Assistant Cook

Yes, she said it would make no difference.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:28 AM   #120
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Yes, she said it would make no difference.
That's what I suspected. Thanks.