"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum

Old 12-04-2013, 01:25 PM   #61
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
Have you considered that you may be setting the bar too high? When you eat someone else's cooking, the atmosphere is different than in your own home. Also, as a rule, we tend to blend the food experience with enjoyment of good company, and good times. The smae meal cooked in a campground setting, even if cooked a little off (say the bacon is overcooked) still tastes better than when cooked perfectly in the home kitchen.

I sounds like you're doing everything right. It may be that you are simply your own worst critic. As an experiment, volunteer to cook half of the burgers at a get together, but on the equipment at the host's backyard. They cook the other half. Use the same methods you use at home. Watch what methods they use. See if you can discern a taste difference between their burgers, and your own. If so, try using their technique.

I know that I had a grilled burger in a restaurant, in Olympia Wa., that I have not been able to duplicate. It was a brilliant hamburger That tasted like grilled steak. I'm still trying to figure that one out. I understand your dillema and sympathize. I also hope you get it figured out, and are able to obtain the perfect technique for the perfect burger.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Yea, I see where you are going with this. To eliminate the psychological aspect of it I had my wife grill the burgers once but it made no difference. I only did this because I thought my taste would be affected by breathing and reveling in all the grilling smoke. I found this to not be the case because it doesn't affect the flavor of my steaks one bit.

However, I seem to have exhausted every other posibility so I'm thinking I'm just nuts.

Old 12-04-2013, 02:24 PM   #62
Master Chef

In general, I find that using the cheapest ground whatever produces the best tasting burgers. :)

Old 12-04-2013, 04:25 PM   #63
Admiral of the Texas Navy

I have a little different theory for tasty backyard burgers. Use lower heat and slow down the cooking process.

I use hickory lump charcoal and a couple hickory chunks for smoke. Ceramic heat diffuser between the hot coals and the grill. I try for a grill level temp of around 350. This is plenty of heat to get that brown crispy outside without burning or charing. Cooking time is a bit longer to medium...about 20 minutes.

Forty's Seasoned Burgers
INGREDIENTS

2 1/2 pounds ground chuck
1/3 cup old fashioned oats
1 egg
2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon ground pepper
1 teaspoon Adolph's meat tenderizer
1 package French Onion Soup Mix

INSTRUCTIONS

Mix all ingredients together with Kitchen Aid until well combined.
Form into patties and hold in refrigerator for at least one hour
Grill to internal temperature of 170

Old 12-04-2013, 05:42 PM   #64
Chef Extraordinaire

After watching minions of men stand over their grill, they love to put their raw burgers directly over the burning coals. The fat drips down, a flare up of flames, press that burger and let more juices escape. A recipe for disaster. Like the man said, Low and Slow! Just like you do your ribs.

And if ATK has taught any of you a lesson in Weber grilling, it is to have the vents in the proper place and open to the proper amount for that smokey flavor. Why is it you can make killer ribs, but have so much trouble with a simple burger?
Old 12-05-2013, 07:19 AM   #65
Assistant Cook

Low and slow. Now there's an idea! I'm willing to give this a try to see what I can come up with. Would I do this with the lid up or down? Would I put the burgers on a searing hot grill then turn the heat down and close the lid? Everything I've read says that burgers should go on and off the grill quickly and that the grill should be blazing hot, searing the burger on both sides then removing.
I had a thought and realized that I get my best burgers at a burger joint. Well, I've never seen a restaurant with a grill lid, much less, a closed grill lid!!! Man, those pro grills get hot, even with no lid. My grill, an S310, has almost no heat with the lid open, even with all three burners on hi.
When I tried cooking a burger on the grill with an open lid I got the grill piping hot. When the meat hit the grill the sizzle and smoke lasted a few seconds then the loss of heat came. 10 minutes later the juices finally appeared on top of the burger letting me know to flip. After the flip, basically, nothing happened, it's like the burger just stopped cooking. No smoke, no sizzle, barely any heat. It took another 20 minutes to cook the other side of the burger.
If you're thinking something is wrong with my grill, it is essentially brand new. I've checked all three burners and there are no clogs anywhere. All three light up fine and full. The grill just doesn't have anything to retain heat, like lava rocks. Once the lid is open, it's all over.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:35 AM   #66
Admiral of the Texas Navy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mborner View Post
Low and slow. Now there's an idea! I'm willing to give this a try to see what I can come up with. Would I do this with the lid up or down? Would I put the burgers on a searing hot grill then turn the heat down and close the lid? .
Lid down to collect the smoke. No searing heat necessary. Just low and slow will do the trick.

Old 12-05-2013, 11:06 AM   #67
Executive Chef

Beef is not my meat of choice and I rarely eat a hamburger. At home, I will only eat them cooked on a Geo Foreman grill and they have to be at least 85/15 beef. And I blot it with a paper towel after it's cooked. The thought of fast food burgers gives me the chills. There is one restaurant we go to that has a delicious angus burger. I order that about once a year, when nothing else sounds appealing to me.
Old 12-09-2013, 01:44 PM   #68
Assistant Cook

I realize trying to describe the char grilled flavor is difficult. everybody seem to have their own ideas of what it is. I've found a great way to decribe to all of you my "missing" flavor.

Okay, take 100% ground chuck, that's all, add nothing to it, not even salt. Form it into a patty and throw it onto a blazing hot grill (I got mine to 700 degrees one time) and close the lid. When it's ready to flip, go ahead and flip it.

Here goes!!

Using your finger, swipe some of the melted beef fat off of the spatula that you just used to flip your burger and give it a taste.
That, friends, is the exact flavor I'm after. See, on my grill, that flavor is pretty weak. It's on my burgers, but barely. I can enhance it greatly with salt, but overall, it's a fail on my part.
When I grill rib eye steaks, the wonderful smell of charred beef fat carries through to the meat and it's fantastic. I get no such love with my burgers. My favorite burger joints have that flavor and I've seen so many people do nothing special to their grill or their beef and the results are truly stunning. Since it is a flavor I covet in my burgers it just blows me away that some people get it right with amazing results without even trying. My parents have a weber gas grill and their burgers are worse than mine. They taste like they were baked in an oven with no grilled flavor whatsoever. What is causing this?
Old 12-09-2013, 02:02 PM   #69
Certified Pretend Chef

Based on your description, I believe you are cooking the burgers over too hot a grill. I'd guess it's hotter than when you cook a ribeye and those taste great.

When I cook burgers on a gas grill, I set the dials to between half and three quarters after heating the grill at full blast. The burgers take a little longer to cook but the flavor builds on the outside. Fat melts off and flares up, flavoring the burgers further. You have to salt the meat on both sides before cooking.
Old 12-09-2013, 03:41 PM   #70
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Based on your description, I believe you are cooking the burgers over too hot a grill. I'd guess it's hotter than when you cook a ribeye and those taste great.

When I cook burgers on a gas grill, I set the dials to between half and three quarters after heating the grill at full blast. The burgers take a little longer to cook but the flavor builds on the outside. Fat melts off and flares up, flavoring the burgers further. You have to salt the meat on both sides before cooking.
Andy, thanks for the tip, I will give that a try.