"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum

Old 12-09-2013, 06:31 PM   #71
Master Chef

I use a Webber Kettle Charcoal grill and have had so much smoke flavor that the burgers were inedible, as the concentrated smoke flavor is bitter. But at that time, I cooked them as I normally did, except that I added extra fat to the grill. I cook with the vents half-closed, which cools the fire and allows me to cook the burgers through, without scorching the meat surface. Smoke is trapped inside, and the particulate flavors the burgers. The same thing happens with my chicken, and other meats as well.

Andy and the others have, I believe given you the solution to your burger problems.

Now, go out there and conquer your grill.

Seeeeeya; Chief longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 06:31 AM   #72
Assistant Cook

Thanks for the encouragement, Chief!

Old 12-10-2013, 01:18 PM   #73
Master Chef

In general, when I grill anything over direct heat I do not use a cover over the grill, regardless of what type of grill I'm using. I do get a hint of that grilled flavor which I think I'm getting from the combination of drippings hitting the coals and from all the gunk build up on the grate. :)
Old 12-20-2013, 07:44 AM   #74
Assistant Cook

Okay, so I put together some pictures of my process so that hopefully I can get some good feedback. I'm doing this because this is important to me. It's been bugging me for years and I'm determined to get to the bottom of this.

We'll start with the meat. 1 lb. 80/20 ground chuck from Publix.
this is the beef that I usually use but I've tried everything under the sun.

You can tell I don't overwork the meat as you can still see the grinding pattern in the patties.

This is my grill. Its a Weber Genesis S310. It's not quite a year old but it has had plenty of use and I wouldn't hesitate to call it fully seasoned.

Just before throwing the burgers on the grill, I liberally salted both sides with kosher salt.

Onto the grill they go at about 500 degrees. Immediately after tossing the meat on the grill I turned the heat down to low/med and closed the lid. Every time the temperature approached 500 I lifted the lid to cool it down some.

After about 5 1/2 minutes, they looked like this. There were no flare up issues. These babies are ready to flip.

Nice crust!

This is the final seconds on the grill. Total cooking time was 5 1/2 minutes on one side and about 5 on the other.

Fresh off the grill. By the way, these things smelled awesome!!

So. Simple, right? How was the end result? They were "as expected". They were good, tasty, even, but they were not great. Salt is key. I can tell that without salt they would be very bland. Now, I've had plain old ground chuck on a grill that just exploded with char-grilled flavor, even without salt, so I'm still at a loss. I'm going to refrain from using the word "smokey" as I think that it's too vague. "Char grilled" or the flavor of charred beef fat is what I'm after.
I'm currently experiencing two extremes.

1. My Mom and Dad can't make a tasty burger on the grill at all. They taste like ground beef baked in an oven. I cannot tell they were cooked on a grill at all. They have a 10 year old Weber gas grill.

2. My friend (actually, a friend of a friend) that can take can take ground chuck and a gas grill and put the the two together and somehow, this truly amazing burger emerges off the grill, bursting with flavor. He does nothing special to the grill or the meat and he adds nothing.

Why the two disparities? I'm beginning to think it's the grill, itself. Maybe there's some element that's missing in my grill that my friend has, I don't know. Maybe he uses lava rock, maybe he has a cast iron grate and mine's stainless. My Dad's grate is porcelain coated. ??

On with my never ending quest.
Old 12-20-2013, 08:00 AM   #75
Senior Cook

I mix my meat with finely chopped videla onion, A-1 steak sauce, and "Tony Sacheries cajun spice blend" and 1 egg.

On my father's last birthday before he passed, mom said he could have anything...he requested my burgers. It made a son very proud.
Old 12-20-2013, 08:03 AM   #76
Master Chef

The pictures tell the tale. That burger has to be hit with smoke. Those "flavorizer" bars in your grill have to be hot enough to create smoke when drippings fall onto them. That smoke is what flavors the burger with that char-grilled flavor you're looking for. When you raise the lid, enough smoke should rise out that if you don't back away a bit, just for an instance, it would choke you. I don't see any smoke at all. No smoke, no char-grilled flavor.

I know people who make wonderful food on gas grills. I'm not one of them. Though I've never had an issue creating smoke, I tend to burn just about everything on a gas grill. That's why I use charcoal. I know it's hot enough to make smoke, and if I don't want so much smoke, I use indirect grilling techniques. I control the temperature with the air vents. I just plain works.

My friend, I wish I could tell you what you need to know. But I'm just not familiar enough with your type of grill to be of assistance. Andy, and many others on DC use gas grills regularly. Hopefully, they can diagnose the problem.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North.

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 08:25 AM   #77
Executive Chef

It has to be hardwood charcoal, direct heat, fatty beef that is handled just to form the patty, salt and pepper only!
The only exception is when I make Ollie Burgers!
Old 12-20-2013, 08:57 AM   #78
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
The pictures tell the tale. That burger has to be hit with smoke. Those "flavorizer" bars in your grill have to be hot enough to create smoke when drippings fall onto them. That smoke is what flavors the burger with that char-grilled flavor you're looking for. When you raise the lid, enough smoke should rise out that if you don't back away a bit, just for an instance, it would choke you. I don't see any smoke at all. No smoke, no char-grilled flavor.

I know people who make wonderful food on gas grills. I'm not one of them. Though I've never had an issue creating smoke, I tend to burn just about everything on a gas grill. That's why I use charcoal. I know it's hot enough to make smoke, and if I don't want so much smoke, I use indirect grilling techniques. I control the temperature with the air vents. I just plain works.

My friend, I wish I could tell you what you need to know. But I'm just not familiar enough with your type of grill to be of assistance. Andy, and many others on DC use gas grills regularly. Hopefully, they can diagnose the problem.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North.
Thanks, chief. Maybe I should have taken some better pictures. After I opened the lid to get the shot I kind of waited for the smoke to clear for a clearer image. I usually grill with all three burners on high and the smoke just barrels out of the grill. This time I slowed it down a bit and although there was smoke, it wasn't in abundance, as usual. I was hoping the longer cooking method would impart more of the grilled flavor but that didn't happen.
Old 12-20-2013, 09:43 AM   #79
Certified Pretend Chef

I think you could be cooking them too slowly. Four or five ounce burgers shouldn't take 10.5 minutes to cook unless you want them VERY well done.

I use a gas grill too. I heat it up full blast to clean off any residue from the last use. I make burgers from a pound of ground beef. A 10 ounce burger for me and a 6 ounce burger fro SO. I like mine medium to med. rare and SO likes it medium well. I season the burgers and spray one side with oil to make movement on the grill easy.

When I'm ready to cook, I turn the heat down to almost half way. Call it medium high. I put the burgers on and close the lid. Two minutes later, I turn them 90º. Two minutes later, I flip them. Three minutes later I take mine off the grill. A minute later I take SO's off the grill.

I think you need the higher heat to aggressively melt off the fat so it vaporizes and adds flavor to the meat. A little flame is good too.
Old 12-20-2013, 10:18 AM   #80
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I think you could be cooking them too slowly. Four or five ounce burgers shouldn't take 10.5 minutes to cook unless you want them VERY well done.

I use a gas grill too. I heat it up full blast to clean off any residue from the last use. I make burgers from a pound of ground beef. A 10 ounce burger for me and a 6 ounce burger fro SO. I like mine medium to med. rare and SO likes it medium well. I season the burgers and spray one side with oil to make movement on the grill easy.

When I'm ready to cook, I turn the heat down to almost half way. Call it medium high. I put the burgers on and close the lid. Two minutes later, I turn them 90º. Two minutes later, I flip them. Three minutes later I take mine off the grill. A minute later I take SO's off the grill.

I think you need the higher heat to aggressively melt off the fat so it vaporizes and adds flavor to the meat. A little flame is good too.
Thanks, Andy, you've been a great help. The burgers you see in the pictures is a total of 16 oz. I tried to get them both exactly 8 oz. but one may be slightly smaller than the other. These were cooked to my liking which is med/well. They were pretty juicy. I've reached a point where I've tried everything including med/rare all the way to burnt to a crisp. I've tried grilling them with the lid up on low for 45 minutes all the way to on and off a blazing hot grill in 4 minutes. As far as cooking methods and processes go, I've tried everything. I've tried nearly every grind of beef to no avail.
I'm almost certain it's my grill. My last grill was the same way. I wish I had my friend's "secret" grill. If he does a cookout again I'm going to watch like a hawk and ask lots of questions, although, I'd feel silly because he really doesn't do anything "secret" or out of the ordinary.
I can just imagine him thinking "Dude, don't you know how to grill a burger?"