"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum

Old 05-07-2014, 10:35 AM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

Gas grills are used more frequently because they are easier to use. Electric grills are not very common at all but would also get used more frequently because of ease of use.

Charcoal requires more effort and expertise to get the right fire temperature and duration.

As to which you should use, I would say you should get a gas grill for your first grill and get accustomed to using it properly. If you find you really enjoy grilling and want to expand your horizons, buy a charcoal grill and go from there.

Old 05-07-2014, 11:11 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Buy both. Start small and see which you prefer.
It is easy to duplicate the taste of charcoal on a gas grill by adding wood, chips, or even charcoal itself I imagine, over a burner. You'll get close anyway. And of course gas gives you more control of your heat source. You can only get so indirect with a charcoal grill and still have your food inside the grill. That can come in handy when cooking a lot of different items.
But there's nothing like the extra effort a charcoal grill gives you. It's harder to use at first, which IMO makes it more rewarding. I use the charcoal grill for special items, but then rarely cook the whole meal on the grill.

Old 05-07-2014, 09:08 PM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Virgadamo View Post
... I am looking for recipes on grilling other vegetables...
We enjoy zucchini and/or summer squash on the grill. I like to cut them in half or thirds lengthwise, depending on how fat around they are. I do try to look for the smaller ones. I bring a pot of water to boil, slip the cut squashes into the water, then drain about a minute later. Just enough "cooking" to brighten up their color. I then pat them dry and brush them with any old salad dressing we have in the refrigerator. I like Ken's Lite Caesar and Lite Northern Italian the best.
Old 05-08-2014, 04:35 PM   #14
Master Chef

If you enjoy playing with fire go charcoal.
Old 05-08-2014, 04:57 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I like my Weber charcoal grill and my little hibachi. We've had a couple gas grills over the years, but they were too fiddly, and something or other always managed to rot out or rust. And I like playing with fire too...

A nice extra for a charcoal grill is a chimney. You shove a couple sheets of newspaper in its bottom, light, and voila, no need for lighter fluid.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:10 PM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I like my Weber charcoal grill and my little hibachi. We've had a couple gas grills over the years, but they were too fiddly, and something or other always managed to rot out or rust. And I like playing with fire too...

A nice extra for a charcoal grill is a chimney. You shove a couple sheets of newspaper in its bottom, light, and voila, no need for lighter fluid.
I cheat when lighting my charcoal. These are the steps, in order to get that charcoal hot, in any configuration, in about 7 to 10 minutes time, from when the first flame is applied. There is not chemical or fuel flavor from starting fluids, and it's way faster than a chimney. Plus, it gets rid of unwanted material from my home.
1. I pull both grates out, put four crumpled sheets of advertisement newsprint around the bottom (after knocking the ashes out and opening the vents fully)
2. Douse the paper with old cooking oil until it's saturated.
3. Place the first grate over the paper.
4. Configure the charcoal for direct heat, indirect heat, smoking.
5. Use a long match, or lighter to ignite the paper.
6. place the top grate in place to allow the flames to burn off any food particles.
7. Prepare the food for grilling/barbecuing/smoking.
8. Lightly brush the top grate to clean off any ash.
9. cook your food.

By the time you prep your food for cooking, the grill will be hot. You also have a way to get rid of old cooking oil without clogging you drain pipes, or having to deal with oil or paper disposal. There is no petroleum flavor from lighter fluid. This technique get the charcoal lit and hot quickly, in about the same time as it takes to heat up a gas grill.

Just thought I'd share.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 05:19 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Great idea, Chief! Thanks!
Old 05-08-2014, 05:35 PM   #18
Master Chef

I miss my old charcoal Weber in the worse way! My gas grill is very convenient but there's nothing that can replace the flavor from a charcoal grill in my opinion. On the other hand with a beginner griller, gas would be better to learn on because of heat control.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 05:38 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post

Chimneys rule. They are so fast I can't believe I used lighter fluid 30 years ago... unless they didn't have chimneys yet and I just liked playing with fire.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:49 PM   #20
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Chimneys rule. They are so fast I can't believe I used lighter fluid 30 years ago... unless they didn't have chimneys yet and I just liked playing with fire.
Pac, I don't think they sold chimneys 30 years ago but my late husband always used a 5 lb coffee can and used a church key to make holes around the bottom rim. It worked like a charm. Come to think of it, I don't think you could find a coffee can that big anymore.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote