"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum
Old 07-14-2005, 12:30 PM   #1
Assistant Cook
Grilling Corn On The Cob

I've got a charcoal grill and want to grill fresh corn on the cob.

Do I need to wrap them in foil after shucking? Leave unshucked?

I do have a two-layer grill with an upper level for less direct heat

http://fooddegree.blogspot.com/ - Learning to cook at the age of 32. How food, heat and a little kosher salt are all it's really about.
FoodDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 12:34 PM   #2
Chief Eating Officer
I would not bother with the foil. A lot of people will tell you to soak the corn first, but I do not do this either. I find the husk smolders a little and adds a nice smoky flavor. I also don't bother to pull the silk out until after it is cooked. On your grill I would probably put the corn on the upper level and rotate every once in a while.

You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 12:45 PM   #3
Executive Chef
Check the cooking on the grill section, couple of grilled corn recipes there.
Raine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 01:37 PM   #4
Master Chef
Like GB says... Dont shuck them. But if you do, yes, wrap in foil.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 01:58 PM   #5
Master Chef
I'm all the way with GB. I do it the same way. make sure grill is not too hot. It should be say medium. It is the best way to make corn.
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 01:18 AM   #6
Master Chef
You'll find as many methods as there are people who cook out. When you put them in foil or in their shucks, you're steaming them over coals/flame. My husband prefers it when I do like I do with other veggies -- shuck, then brush or roll in olive oil and seasonings, then put over the flame. It's more roasted than steamed. All are delicious, to me there is no wrong or right, just what you like. He just happens to like it roasted. As for me, I've met few ears of corn I didn't like, and the way he likes it is easy on me, since I always put a ton of veggies on any time we light the coals.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 01:48 PM   #7
Executive Chef
Post Zesty Corn-on-the-Cob

Zesty Corn-on-the-Cob
Makes 6 servings

6 ears fresh corn
1/4 cup margarine or butter, melted
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/8 teaspoon salt
Pull outer husks from top to base of each corn ear; leave husks attached to ear. Strip away silk. Trim any blemishes from corn. Place corn in large bowl. Cover with cold water; soak 20 to 30 minutes.Prepare grill for direct cooking.Remove corn from water; pat kernels dry with paper towels. Combine margarine, parsley, horseradish, paprika, pepper and salt in small bowl. Spread about half of margarine mixture evenly over kernels.Bring husks back up each ear of corn; secure at top with wet string.Place corn on grid. Grill, covered, over medium-high heat 15 to 20 minutes or until corn is hot and tender, turning every 5 minutes.Transfer corn to serving plate. Remove front half of husks on each piece of corn; brush with remaining margarine mixture.
Raine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 12:01 AM   #8
Senior Cook
I soak them overnight if possible and cook with the husks on but silks removed. I don't like the strong burnt taste you get from not soaking them.
Ekim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 02:50 AM   #9
Master Chef
I peel the husks back, remove the silk, and pull the husks back up over the corn. If the corn isn't very fresh - I might soak for an hour or two .... you're not going to alter the texture or flavor of the corn (the natural sugars begin to convert to starch the instant the corn is picked) ... just rehydrate the husks so you get a nice steaming going on inside the husks on the grill.

I generally don't cook corn over direct heat .... but sometimes I do. Sometimes - I'll cook over indirect heat and then peel the husks back and roast the corn over direct heat for a few minutes to brown/scorch the corn.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Michael in FtW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 07:11 AM   #10
Executive Chef
as you can see there are many suggestions. personally I like what sara moulton does. shuck and clean corn. rub a little evoo on it. place on side of grill as other items are cooking so it starts heating, then as other foods are ready, place over hot coals and turn every minute or two to get the kernels golden brown. yum! w salt and pepper. (some like butter) I hate shuking and cleanign a hot ear of corn.

Robo410 is offline   Reply With Quote