"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum

Old 05-12-2012, 12:18 PM   #1
Senior Cook

How does this chicken roaster work?

I saw a roaster like this in a local store tonight. There was, of course, no picture on the box, not directions posted or no fake charcoal briquet's so I was at a loss as to how it would work. My guess is that the chicken is mounted vertically on a roasting rack inside the metal cylinder. Then the cylinder is placed over the chicken, and charcoal, wood, etc is placed around the metal cylinder at the base and thy dry heat cooks the chicken. Does this set up need water at the bottom? How effective are these? Do they make tasty chicken? Is a rotisserie more likely to make tastier chicken?

Old 05-12-2012, 12:28 PM   #2
Senior Cook

Your picture isn't showing up, so aren't quite sure what you mean. Try posting your pic again.

Old 05-12-2012, 12:44 PM   #3
Senior Cook

http://www.homeandbackyard.com/#/ite...oor_dutch_oven

Old 05-12-2012, 12:55 PM   #4
Executive Chef

If you click on the small image, on the right hand side, at the bottom of the page, it shows you how it works!
Old 05-12-2012, 12:59 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Okay, from the 2nd picture on that website, it looks just as you described - that you mount the poultry vertically, & the hot coals on the bottom & piled on the top provide the heat to roast the bird.

Frankly, I don't see much of an advantage to this over a regular rotisserie, or even a plain old vertical roaster that you stick in your oven or on your outdoor grill. In fact, I can't see myself wanting to deal with knocking hot coals off of the top in order to check on or access the chicken.

My advice is to pass this by, but of course I haven't tried it personally.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:51 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

IF charcoal grilling is important to you, buy a small Weber kettle and you'll be able to cook a much wider variety of items.
Old 05-12-2012, 04:46 PM   #7
Head Chef

So far as function, the description in the title, "Dutch oven," is pretty accurate.

Compare to traditional Dutch oven.

From user comments, it is apparently large enough to do at least a 14 pound turkey, and it apparently does it well. Negative comments are that it's cheaply made and probably not worth it unless you can get it deeply discounted, which apparently happens. And some chronic difficulties with missing pieces in the box.

A traditional Dutch oven can do everything this think can do and more and can do it more flexibly, being good for open fire pit or oven and for top of the range or grill browning before baking.

In the end, the Rocket is just a roaster adapted for charcoal. And probably due to the flimsiness, it's said to impart a smoke taste, which may or may not be to your taste.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:54 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Stick the chicken over the beer can sitting in a disposable roaster pan and get a Weber grill as has been suggested. This seems like a waste of money.

There is a song from Gilbert and Sullivan's "H.M.S. Pinafore"

"Things Are Seldom What They Seem",
Old 10-19-2013, 01:50 PM   #9
Executive Chef

I agree Addie. Beer can chicken is easy and its great. (I use a can prop) Picture below.
Just make sure to season it very well for a crispy skin.

I hate gadgets! Except ones that actually do something. Like the can prop for beer can chicken. Great idea.
Attached Images

Old 11-17-2013, 04:02 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLC View Post
So far as function, the description in the title, "Dutch oven," is pretty accurate.

Compare to traditional Dutch oven.

It's a "daubière"! I want one. I have absolutely no use for one but I still want one.

When you've mentioned Dutch ovens before I thought you just meant a large covered casserole pot. I didn't realise you meant a pot with an inverted lid that you can put coals in to provide heat from above. They are even hard to come by in France these days. I saw one many years ago in the sadly defunct Samaritaine in Paris but but was on foot and couldn't carry it and I've never been able to find one since.

I never cook over coals except to grill things but my heart has this fancy that I will someday end up in a stone farmhouse in the Languedoc with all it's original features including an open fire stove.

My head is firmly of the opinion that it will have me committed to the nearest lunatic asylum if I even look as if I'm about to achieve this folly.

Tags
chicken