"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum

Old 10-01-2007, 11:41 AM   #11
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Nope, we have lots of Canadian shows on our cable that you poor folks will never see. I'm guessing you don't know who Michael Smith is, although he is quite a popular chef on Food TV here. (I'm also betting you haven't seen Trailer Park Boys on TV and that is a crying shame!)
Youíre right, I havenít heard of that Chef or that show. Whatís trailer Park boys about? Sounds like itís probably funny?

Old 10-01-2007, 11:50 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
Quote:
Originally Posted by keltin View Post
Whatís trailer Park boys about? Sounds like itís probably funny?
I can guess, and it probably involves NOT asking their respective partners if they can have the pillowcases :D

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 12:01 PM   #13
Head Chef

Let's see if I remember how Alton did it...
He had a 5 foot chimney on top of a ceramic backyard cooker.
On top of the chimney he placed a bundt cake pan, with the hole in the center.
That got topped with a pie plate, upon which was placed a bag of ice.

Smoke hit the cold tin, condensed into the bundt cake pan.
Instant liquid smoke!
Old 10-01-2007, 12:06 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

I live very near an Agricultural Experiment Station. In the very early spring they bring in 5000 gallons of this stuff, cut it with water and use it as a cattle spray for black flies, knats, and the like. They also use it full strength as a sheep dip for all of the spring lambs. I take my dog up there each spring and dip him for fleas and ticks, and It last all year long until the next spring!! After that they use it to treat fence post. It will double the life of a fence post after soaking for 1 hour. If a post happens to made out of Mesquite it will last longer than the dirt it is in

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 12:27 PM   #15
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
I live very near an Agricultural Experiment Station. In the very early spring they bring in 5000 gallons of this stuff, cut it with water and use it as a cattle spray for black flies, knats, and the like. They also use it full strength as a sheep dip for all of the spring lambs. I take my dog up there each spring and dip him for fleas and ticks, and It last all year long until the next spring!! After that they use it to treat fence post. It will double the life of a fence post after soaking for 1 hour. If a post happens to made out of Mesquite it will last longer than the dirt it is in
Creosote is some powerful and magical stuff!! Hundreds of known uses and still counting!
Old 07-01-2008, 12:38 PM   #16
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Wait a minute... are you saying you smoke your pup?? So does he smell like bacon all season? You think your dog licks himself a lot now/ Look out!!

Seriously, though...
If the liquid smoke acts as an insect repellent, would this be a safe choice for spraying my garden plants to protect them from bugs?
Old 07-01-2008, 01:15 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillBurgh View Post
Wait a minute... are you saying you smoke your pup?? So does he smell like bacon all season? You think your dog licks himself a lot now/ Look out!!

Seriously, though...
If the liquid smoke acts as an insect repellent, would this be a safe choice for spraying my garden plants to protect them from bugs?
Miss Jill...

The is/was strictly tongue-n-cheek satire on my part...I personally don't care for Liquid Smoke or any product that contains it. Also, I personally don't care for the mesquite wood flavor/smoke during slow cooking methods...It does do a good when used to grill...producing very hot coals.

Anyway...I assume no responsibility for your garden plants should you choose Liquid Smoke as an insect repellent..... Rather I would recommend you contact your local Garden Center for advice as to the proper insect repellents for your garden.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 01:50 PM   #18
Sous Chef