"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum

Old 10-01-2007, 02:36 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Thumbs up How to make your liquid smoke flavoring

HILLBILLY LIQUID SMOKE
This is an all natural way of making a smoke flavor. I have tried it and it works great. if you grill with hickory or oak chips this will work great never treid it with any thing else. DO NOT USE WOOD CHIPS THAT HAVE HAD STARTER FLUID USED ON THEM !!!!!!!

• AFTER YOU HAVE USED YOUR CHIPS TO COOK ON YOU SHOULD HAVE SOME LEFT IN THE GRILL THAT DID NOT BURN UP ALL THE WAY COLLECT ONE POUND OF THESE .
  • GO ASK YOUR WIFE FOR A CLEAN PILLOW CASE THAT SHE WILL NEVER WANT BACK.
  • PUT BURNT CHIPS IN PILLOW CASE AND BRING ENOUGH WATER TO COVER CHIPS TO A BOIL (OUTSIDE PLEASE)
  • PLACE PILLOW CASE WITH CHIPS IN THE BOILING WATER LET STAY IN WATER FOR THIRTY TO FORTY-FIVE MINUTES( WATER WILL TURN A REDDISH BROWN THAT IS HOW YOU KNOW IT HAS BOILED LONG ENOUGH.
  • LET STAND UNTIL COOL . REMOVE CHIPS AND PILLOW CASE. DRAIN PILLOW CASE OF ALL LIQUIDS AND DISCARD CHIPS.
  • TURN HEAT BACK ON AND REDUCE LIQUID TO ONE THIRD OF WHAT YOU HAVE .
  • LET COOL AND BOTTLE .... IF IT HAS A BITTER TASTE ADD HONEY OR MOLASSES UNTIL BITTER IS GONE .

Old 10-01-2007, 08:51 AM   #2
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokerjoker View Post
GO ASK YOUR WIFE FOR A CLEAN PILLOW CASE THAT SHE WILL NEVER WANT BACK.
A good hillbilly knows not to upset the missus by ruining the bed sheets without permission

This method is definitely getting forwarded to the grill master at our house (we have pillow cases to spare).

Old 10-01-2007, 10:26 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
another way (that will also exclude the bitter tannins and terpenes from the raw wood), is you shove a block of Ice onto a shallow SS pan and throw that into the smoker on Full, the aromatic particles will condense to the ice in preference to anything else and drip down into the pan, no need to ruin Anyones bedware or get horrible tastes ;)

it`s not exactly Hillbilly style, but what we Chemists would call Closed System Distillation

edit: non the less, YeeHaw Jethro!

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 11:04 AM   #4
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Quote:
Originally Posted by YT2095 View Post
another way (that will also exclude the bitter tannins and terpenes from the raw wood), is you shove a block of Ice onto a shallow SS pan and throw that into the smoker on Full, the aromatic particles will condense to the ice in preference to anything else and drip down into the pan, no need to ruin Anyones bedware or get horrible tastes ;)

it`s not exactly Hillbilly style, but what we Chemists would call Closed System Distillation

edit: non the less, YeeHaw Jethro!
What an awesome post! Isnít science grand! Youíre going to make Alton Brown jealous if you keep this up!

I donít think Iíll ever have a need for this technique, but Iím absolutely thrilled to have this knowledge anyway!! Thanks for posting this!

Hmmmm......can you imagine what the neighbors would think if they saw you loading up a big block of ice into your smoker?!?!?! The guys in the white jackets would be there in no time!
Old 10-01-2007, 11:06 AM   #5
Head Chef

Alton's method involved a tall chimney with inverted pie plates...
He didn't get much liquid smoke, either!
Old 10-01-2007, 11:15 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
Quote:
Originally Posted by keltin View Post
The guys in the white jackets would be there in no time!
I wear a White "Jacket" / Lab coat anyway, they will Fear Me!

I think One of the days, I`ll have to return to this thread with some Pictures of How you would do it Correctly! proper distillation with Pyrex Lab glassware just to see if it can be done, I`ve distilled wood and coal and other things before so Hickory chips shouldn`t be a problem and may be good for a giggle :)

my only concern is that wood alcohol is quite flammable and also Toxic! so I may have to dismiss the 1`st two fractions of the distillate.

and Who is this Alton person???
sounds like the plates were for a fractionation column perhaps?

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 11:21 AM   #7
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by YT2095 View Post
and Who is this Alton person???
sounds like the plates were for a fractionation column perhaps?
You havenít heard of Alton Brown? Heís a host of a show on the Food Network channel called Good Eats. He also does other shows, but Good East is what heís famous for. On Good Eats, he takes a very scientific approach to cooking, and will often explain things at the molecular level. Heís also whacky, and darn near certifiable.....but funny and entertaining none-the-less. Itís a very fascinating show.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:22 AM   #8
Everymom

keltin, I don't think the UK has the same programming the US has.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:25 AM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
keltin, I don't think the UK has the same programming the US has.
Hmmmmm......youíre probably right, I just assumed that since itís on cable, it got beamed all over the world.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:28 AM   #10
Everymom

Nope, we have lots of Canadian shows on our cable that you poor folks will never see. I'm guessing you don't know who Michael Smith is, although he is quite a popular chef on Food TV here. (I'm also betting you haven't seen Trailer Park Boys on TV and that is a crying shame!)